CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 26, 2017, 20:39:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: G-code generation and folders  (Read 551 times)
Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« on: July 10, 2017, 12:21:45 pm »

Those are my personal wishes for some feature tweaks in CamBam.
I am using a single common folder on the PC I use for making the projects where I place all .nc files. The folder is then synchronized over LAN with a similar one on the PC driving the router via Mach3.
The problem is that there is no way (or I don't know one) to define a common output folder. So every time I have to click the drive tree and select it. For convenience I've named it so that it appears as the first folder in the list.
wish 1: Include a path for a common output folder in the options. If left empty, use current project's folder as it is now.

More often than not (and I suppose it is the same for most of you) I want each part in a multi part project to be written to a separate .nc file. Currently we have to right-click on each part and select 'Generate g-code'. Doing this on the 'Machining' folder will output the whole project in a single file.
wish2: Include and option (check box  or similar) so that all parts are placed in a separate .nc file with a single command from the 'Machining' folder.

For Linux version: Is it possible to modify the file open dialog to show mounted volumes? Currently it follows the Windows drive naming convention and onlt the Home folder is directly visible and accessible. If there is a mounted volume or drive, where the files are, they are not shown and navigating to the actual mount point is slow and somewhat complicated.

Before asking a question do some effort and walk through all menus and options in CamBam.  Maybe the answer is there. Please.
EddyCurrent
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 13:13:22 pm »

1. I requested file path options when I first joined the forum, but was met with some resistance to the idea  Grin
2. try this; http://www.cambam.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=92f953afc6293cfff8c3d36e7faf0e46&topic=5587.msg44685#msg44685
dh42
Administrator
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 15:28:12 pm »

Hello

The problem is that there is no way (or I don't know one) to define a common output folder.

Yep, I tried with a template file, but even if the Gcode output folder is defined in the template, it does not works (it works if I load the template file as a normal file, but not if loaded as template  Huh )

++
David
michel
Storm Trooper

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 19:00:53 pm »

Hi,

I have a plugin written for me to generate a g-code for all seperate items on the project and put them in a preselected folder. Lloyd made this one for me. There are a few things specific for me in it but I am sure lloyd could tweak it a little so that it would perform to your needs. I use this one constantly.

I made a small video showing how it works for me

https://www.screencast.com/t/odyxEMCyv

regards
Michel
lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 19:24:10 pm »

Michel,
If you're amenable, I will post it in the general 'plugins' area.  There are folks here who will have more time right now to modify it than do I.  I'm right now in "total immersion" on a project, working seven 'sixteens', and for the next three weeks, at least.

Lloyd

"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"
michel
Storm Trooper

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 19:29:14 pm »

Hi Lloyd

no problem but it would be nice also to keep an original copy in case it is needed in the future ?

regards
Michel
lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 19:43:37 pm »

I won't modify it, and will keep my copy.  I only intend to post it for an example of what it could do.

ALL of its features could be removed except the assertion of the .nc filepath, if that's what someone wanted.

And it is 'soft', rather than hard-coding the path.  It reads a text file to find the path.

Lloyd
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 19:47:24 pm by lloydsp » Logged

lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 19:53:59 pm »

Posted to the plugins section.
L

Pages: [1]
  Print