CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 11, 2017, 16:35:22 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Another engraving issue, newbie.  (Read 1045 times)
54dodge
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« on: June 16, 2017, 03:44:56 am »

I am having trouble getting a program to engrave. I assume I should select inches, not thousandths first of all. Secondly I get a style not selected when I select a font and try to create a program. I have been following the tutorials but still the programs don't work. I've tried selecting the stick fonts and the regular fonts and nothing works or the if the program runs without bombing right away then Mach3 tries to drive my mini mill way past the limits. When I select a point to start in Cambam I assume I should place the curser on the center x for centering the program on the mill but it still wants to go past the limits. I've created other engraving programs using point to point on a drawing program and saving as a dxf and importing and it worked ok. I just can't get the engraving program/mop to work through a Cambam generated program.
dave benson
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 05:11:52 am »

Just upload your .cb file and someone will help.
Dave
54dodge
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 19:08:44 pm »

Thanks for the reply. Here is the cb file. I have probably made a lot of mistakes in set up but can't figure out where. I get a style not found for any font I choose, I don't know is that's the problem or other issues. I'm running windows 10.

* toybox.cb (2.93 KB - downloaded 31 times.)
driedeker
Droid

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 21:08:03 pm »

Just had a look and yes try inch but not sure that is your problem you have not chosen a tool to engrave with for one,
I use mm so unable to help more
others will reply I am sure.
lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 23:19:53 pm »

You didn't set the units to inches, you set it to "thousandths".  Further, you've defined NO tool profile.

Define your tool as a V-cutter, and set the units to "inches".

It worked perfectly for me using my default post-processor.  So, if it doesn't work after those above changes,  it must be your PP.  Did you modify it, at all?  I have almost all of them, but not that Mach3 version.

Lloyd
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 23:31:31 pm by lloydsp » Logged

"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"
driedeker
Droid

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 00:05:57 am »

As Lloyd says when you have it set to thousanths your text is 1 to 10 thou total ,if you zoom out you will see the grid.
This is in inch again as a sample
and I think i got the postpro right this time

* toyboxedit.cb (3.22 KB - downloaded 30 times.)
driedeker
Droid

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2017, 00:11:21 am »

You didn't set the units to inches, you set it to "thousandths".  Further, you've defined NO tool profile.

Define your tool as a V-cutter, and set the units to "inches".

It worked perfectly for me using my default post-processor.  So, if it doesn't work after those above changes,  it must be your PP.  Did you modify it, at all?  I have almost all of them, but not that Mach3 version.

Lloyd
yes I goofed.
the Mach3-CutViewer-tools is indeed a slightly moded pp for my tool list to display better in Cutviewer.
lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2017, 00:48:44 am »

C'mon!  Don't change everything, every time you try a new experiment!!!

You changed the text, the measurement system, and I don't know what-all else, because I did NOT try the file.

Really... stick with ONE simple design until you get it licked, then move on to more complex projects.

(Really... it also gives US a better chance to help you.  If everything changes every time you post, we're left kind-of "swinging in the wind" -- huh?)

Lloyd

54dodge
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2017, 03:55:25 am »

Who are you talking to? I haven't changed anything, I'm just now reading the replies for the first time....
driedeker
Droid

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2017, 08:29:06 am »

Who are you talking to? I haven't changed anything, I'm just now reading the replies for the first time....

I believe it is me that he is confused with.
Terry
Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2017, 12:01:38 pm »

When I select a point to start in Cambam I assume I should place the curser on the center x for centering the program on the mill but it still wants to go past the limits.

You should really clarify for yourself (with certainty, not assuming) the meaning and the purpose of:
1. Project coordinates in CamBam relative to the coordinate start - where all three axes intersect. For better comprehension you can define your stock size and thickness which CamBam will then display on the screen. You can set one of the stock corners (usually lower left which produces only positive X/Y coordinate values) or its center to be at the coordinate start. CamBam calculates all positioning and movement coordinates relative to the coordinates start, the axes crossing point.
2. Machine coordinates - they are two sets in Mach3 - absolute and working.
./ Absolute coordinates are the physical limits of your machine movements and they are set to zero when you home the machine before starting your work. Mach3 then keeps track of the absolute position and if soft limits are defined and active it will prevent movements outside the table area.
./ Working coordinates in Mach3 define the X/Y zero for the current job relative to the stock on the table. They may but usually do not coincide with the absolute ones. You move the tool to a point over the stock which matches the zero point in your CamBam project (a corner, the center or an arbitrary position) and by clicking the corresponding axis button on Mach3 screen you set it to zero. Or by clicking in the digital readout you can manually enter a coordinate value.
You can the jog the tool, taking note of its position in the Mach3 display and check that the tool movement extremes are all within the stock area.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 12:03:32 pm by Dragonfly » Logged

Before asking a question do some effort and walk through all menus and options in CamBam.  Maybe the answer is there. Please.
lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2017, 12:25:58 pm »

Sorry, Dodge.  I was referring to Driedeker's  file.

Everything he's posted (so far) has worked on my machine.

Lloyd

54dodge
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2017, 17:14:11 pm »

I loaded the file that was posted, changed to inches and it works. I tried making the same file with the changes suggested and my file still didn't work. Oh well, at least I have a file I can work with. Not sure what is missing yet, not worried about it right now. I'll take one step at a time. And BTW thanks to all who commented and helped.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: