CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 21, 2017, 11:02:27 am

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: A gear question - maybe to watchmakers  (Read 1682 times)
Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2017, 18:15:50 pm »

P.S. I've left some of the preliminary MOP's but deleted geometry not relevant to the gear so some will be empty or invalid.

Before asking a question do some effort and walk through all menus and options in CamBam.  Maybe the answer is there. Please.
EddyCurrent
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2017, 22:28:09 pm »

I found a small amount of dish washing liquid in water quite good to hand spray on plastics and polycarbonate while cutting. Also glass cleaning spray is supposed to work too, it's excellent for use on diamond sharpening stones for sure.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 22:29:57 pm by EddyCurrent » Logged
Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

^ 8.5 pounds on my own hand poured bait.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2017, 22:59:49 pm »

Here is the inch outputs from HSM Adviser. 

* Acetal p00157.jpg (296.52 KB, 1595x900 - viewed 34 times.)

Getting started on CNC?  In or passing through my area?
If I have the time I'll be glad to show you a little in my shop. 

Some Stuff I Make with CamBam
http://www.CNCMOLDS.com
kvom
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2017, 23:07:51 pm »

Some friends of mine needed to remake a plastic gear for a Dynomite minimill and made it from brass rather than plastic.  Assuming your tool is carbide the f&s aren't much different.  In fact, I'd probably remake both gears while you're at it.  The f&s I posted earlier are for full engagement, so any less stepover will be safer.  Assumption is that you'd need full engagement near the bottom of the teeth anyway.

You could also try printing the gear @ shapeways or i.materialize
Garyhlucas
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2017, 00:01:14 am »

I used to have an HSS endmill around here that was 0.025mm 0.001"  You couldn't actually see it without a powerful magnifying glass, and seeing the flutes on something that small was amazing!

Just for grins, FS Wizard Pro suggests 276,650 rpm at 200mm/min in mild steel.

Gary H. Lucas

Have you read my blog?
 http://a-little-business.blogspot.com/
kvom
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2017, 01:52:00 am »

My smallest EM is 3/64 or 1.2mm.
lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2017, 01:58:22 am »

I'm not even sure where I got it, but I've got one 0.042" -- not any sort of 'standard' size, so I don't know what it was designated to be.  I used it to advantage just last week, cutting 'petal patterns' for spherical gore sheets that are meant to cover 55mm spheres.

Lloyd

"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"
lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2017, 02:05:13 am »

I never really bothered to look, but just found that standard 2-flute and 4-flute square and ball-nose endmills are available down to 0.005" o.d.!  WOW!

Lloyd

Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

^ 8.5 pounds on my own hand poured bait.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2017, 02:28:18 am »

The smallest I have (I believe) is 0.026".  Its a common stainless spring wire size used to make screw in bait keepers in jig molds so I actually use it modestly often.  I also sweat it until its back in its tube and put away.  I've broken more than a couple of them from just brushing them with my hand when mounted in the spindle.  They break so easy I don't even cut myself.  Of course when I use it the operation is always slotting so feed rate is single digit.   

Getting started on CNC?  In or passing through my area?
If I have the time I'll be glad to show you a little in my shop. 

Some Stuff I Make with CamBam
http://www.CNCMOLDS.com
Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2017, 18:38:56 pm »

I think I did it Smiley  Even two of them.
Bob gave me some initial clues and also from I've read in the meantime I set parameters which didn't break the bit (it's the first time I use such a tiny one and was afraid it'll break even when touching the zeroing plate).
Did the cutting in climb mode as I read such a recommendation for micro tool usage and the bit remained clean while cutting. And I think I've been quite conservative still.
Then decided to do a finishing pass in conventional cutting mode at full depth - to compensate for the shape inaccuracies due to the existing mechanical flaws of my DIY router. This time I think I went under the critical chip load because the pass produced very thin fiber-like chips and some of them didn't detach from the edges. Cleaned them manually afterwards.
Otherwise the gear fits and meshes with the rest. Will try to make a close-up photo later.

Before asking a question do some effort and walk through all menus and options in CamBam.  Maybe the answer is there. Please.
Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2017, 11:55:23 am »

The finish is far from perfect but the gear does its main purpose.
Coin diameter is 16 mm.

* P1180417.JPG (717.82 KB, 1731x1122 - viewed 45 times.)

Bubba
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2017, 19:12:40 pm »

It is functional, and that's most important, the looks wont help the performance at all.. I like it!
lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2017, 19:28:20 pm »

Yeah... I like it, too.  That's a NICE-looking replacement.

You'd be amazed how crude some commercial gears are -- it's 'what will work', not 'what's pretty'.

Lloyd

Garyhlucas
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2017, 21:45:05 pm »

There's a real easy way to get those fine burrs off plastics. A quick pass with a propane torch does a beautiful job. The fine fibers just vaporize, the solid material has too little surface area to burn instantly.  My grandson and I deburred the 50 fidget spinners we made that way.

Gary H. Lucas

Have you read my blog?
 http://a-little-business.blogspot.com/
Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2017, 22:49:14 pm »

The torch idea passed through my mind but I decided not to take the risk. The burrs are on the larger gear mainly because it happened so that I didn't have the right tool. Friday evening and only then I remembered that had broken the 0.8 end mill I intended to use Sad
I cleaned some with a rotating plastic brush. It's a worm gear and I think they will wear out.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: