CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 23, 2018, 03:12:02 am

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Really confused with STL  (Read 2049 times)
grant
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« on: April 12, 2017, 02:45:01 am »

Hello everyone, very new to cam stuff here and I am having a lot of trouble with getting cambam to do what I want.  I have a very simple shape here, I've seen cambam do much more complex things, unfortunately I cannot seem to find any basic tutorial or any guide on how to do this.  All of the guides either show drawing something in cambam or just using a dxf for flat profile cuts.

Here is what I am trying to:

I'm sure I probably have a lot of settings wrong in cambam, whenever I go to simulate it in cutviewer it either mills the complete shape away at the full thickness of the material or it will just do a profile of the one side.  Or a bunch of other things but never just what I want.

So can anyone give me some sort of guidance.

Thanks

dh42
Administrator
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 02:56:33 am »

Hello

It's difficult to see on a picture, but that does not sound like a part that need an STL file to be cut ; if I see correctly, there is a dovetail along the part (or maybe just a groove ?), and the ends are also not vertical ?

maybe you can attach your STL file so it would be more easy to see. (click on additional options/and drag/drop your file on the right side of the 'Browse' button, on the 'no selected file' text)

++
David
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 02:59:17 am by dh42 » Logged
grant
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 03:15:03 am »

I hope this helps, I was also thinking it doesn't need to be stl but I cant figure out how to save it properly from solidworks  where it shows the correct faces in cambam.  I was thinking of one cut for the recessed area and then just a profile operation.

* TestPiece.STL (1.06 KB - downloaded 97 times.)
grant
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 05:05:16 am »

Ok it seems like im getting closer now with dxf.  It looks ok besides where I have the green arrow pointing at the bottom.  It should be straight and look the same as the top does, but it looks like the tool doesn't quite go that far and the shape is just the roundness of the bit.

atwooddon
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 05:43:12 am »

Grant, no need to draw this object in another CAD package.  Simple and fast job to just draw it in CamBam, use two simple MOPs the job is complete.  Not at my computer right now but bet someone will chime in with a CamBam drawn example.  I have found CamBam to be perfectly adequate to handle abut 99% of the 2.5D objects I need to machine.  The occasional true 3D object may get drawn in some other package but it is rare for me. 

Sorry to say you can do it easier in CamBam and not showing you how but like I said, not on my PC right now. Will respond with example when I get home if someone hasn't jumped in with a 'how to' by then.

Don
grant
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 08:45:17 am »

The problem is not so much drawing it, I get drawings from other people that all use solidworks.  So I need to be able to import them easily without having to redraw them everytime
dwc
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 08:53:51 am »

I get drawings from other people that all use solidworks.

Have your SW friends make you scale 1:1 drawings on a blank sheet in dxf format.
You can work with them easily and loose no time.
You just need to join the lines to make paths.
For them it is also a no brainer, a simple drawing without annotations and/or dimensioning is done in no-time.
Don

kvom
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2017, 12:53:57 pm »

Exactly.  I model my parts in SW, but then save them as DXF for import into CB.  Takes less than a minute to do the export.
atwooddon
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2017, 15:56:26 pm »

Grant

Here is a quick and dirty example of a way to machine your part from the stl file. I guessed at depths.

1. Open the stl file in CamBam
2. Align the top of the surface at z=0
3. Select the object and do a 'Edge Detect' which will create polylines for all edges.  To keep it visibly simple I deleted all the poly lines except the top and bottom edges.
4. Do an outside profile for the top edge.  I used a cutwidth that cut away all the area above the first step.
5. Do an outside profile (with tabs) for the outside edge.  I started that profile at the bottom of the first profile to avoid wasting time getting down to that level.  

There are many ways of doing this part, but this is simple, 2 MOPs and you are done.

Don

* TestPiece.cb (11.79 KB - downloaded 71 times.)
dh42
Administrator
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2017, 18:16:56 pm »

Hello

Some video (In French) that show SW dxf export, then 2D and 3D cuts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnH42YZ5v9k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WHGQ5l8GSw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akVybg-4j58

++
David
Garyhlucas
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2017, 20:02:50 pm »

Rule #1 NEVER redraw anything unless there is no other way. If you don't get it exactly right or exactly wrong as drawn by someone else you take the blame every time. You have broken the link which proves you did your job correctly. When a revision comes along and you make a part from the file you created it will again be your fault. I once had to go through a shop and collect every drawing, every note and lock them away. Because nothing I revised ever changed unless they couldn't find an old drawing.

Gary H. Lucas

Have you read my blog?
 http://a-little-business.blogspot.com/
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: