CamBam
News: *** FORUM BACK *** please see 'Latest News' for updates

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2018, 08:36:25 am

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]
  Print  
Author Topic: Trochoidal Pocket & Profile MOPs plugin (HSM)  (Read 35314 times)
newlinuxuser
Droid

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: January 05, 2018, 23:32:20 pm »

Maybe you miss some mono related packets.
Andy said some time ago to install mono-complete for CamBam1.0, before to do this I experienced something similar.

Attached here the output of
Code:
dpkg --list | grep libmono > libmono.txt
from my pc,

* libmono.txt (23.01 KB - downloaded 27 times.)
Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 07, 2018, 09:49:24 am »

It's not the Mono.
Installing and uninstalling versions I feared I made some mess and finally did a clean install of the Linux distribution.
First thing I did after that was to install CamBam and test it.
Opened a project and set a Trochopock MOP on a shape just entering some valid values for DOC and tool diameter. Tried copy/paste and it worked OK. Then opened the particular file with which there was the pasting error and tried. And failed again with the same error.
After that it dawned to me that maybe some parameter in the MOP which differs from the default value is the cause. Changing properties step by step I found that it is the Lead-in Move property which causes the error. I usually set it to 'Spiral' to make the tool go spiralling down to depth gradually.

Before asking a question do some effort and walk through all menus and options in CamBam.  Maybe the answer is there. Please.
jk
Storm Trooper

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 11, 2018, 21:38:54 pm »

Investigated the bug a little.

Seems to be a problem with binary serialization/deserialization of the leadin field.

The little script attached reproduces the problem exactly.
It just serializes the mop and immediately deserializes it back (assuming the mop is the first mop of first part).
Running fine on windows but throws exception on linux with the non-default leadin.

Don't know if it could be easily fixed. IMHO the serialization/deserialization of internal objects should be always
successful.

* serdes_leadin_bug.zip (0.59 KB - downloaded 34 times.)
Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 15, 2018, 16:12:54 pm »

This can be circumvented for the moment by setting the lead-in to default and setting it afterwards where needed.
Anyway, I never dared set my router do such deep bites in Aluminum with conventional pocketing. This is from today - 5mm DOC, 6mm tool diameter and only 800W spindle power @18000 rpm.

* AluTrochoPock.jpg (1652.78 KB, 3496x2592 - viewed 103 times.)

Before asking a question do some effort and walk through all menus and options in CamBam.  Maybe the answer is there. Please.
kvom
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 16, 2018, 01:36:56 am »

I have recently been doing quite a bit of deep pocketing and profiling in aluminum.  Most recent was .35" DOC with 1/4" endmill at 4000 rpm.  I'm babying the tool with a .1 stepover since I don't have any spare stock in case of fubar.
Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

^ 8.5 pounds on my own hand poured bait.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #200 on: January 16, 2018, 17:17:42 pm »

I have recently been doing quite a bit of deep pocketing and profiling in aluminum.  Most recent was .35" DOC with 1/4" endmill at 4000 rpm.  I'm babying the tool with a .1 stepover since I don't have any spare stock in case of fubar.

Deep DOC with small stepover and high feed is the current preference in high speed machining.  You can remove a lot of material quite fast, and your tool lasts longer because you are using more of it.  The trochoidal milling plugin really lends itself to that.  Its FAST when employed properly.  

I'm seriously considering switching all my pocketing roughing styles to be used with (and named for) trochoidal pockets. 

Getting started on CNC?  In or passing through my area?
If I have the time I'll be glad to show you a little in my shop. 

Some Stuff I Make with CamBam
http://www.CNCMOLDS.com
kvom
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 19, 2018, 21:01:13 pm »

Today I was machining some .5" Mic6 aluminum with both trocho pockets and profiles.  Full depth with a .375" 2 flute endmill. .15 stepover.  While the endmill is happy once the depth is reached, I got some chip welding from the initial plunge on my second pocket.  For safety I added spiral drilled hole mops at all the entry points for the trocho mops and had no issues the rest of the way.

If you have toolpaths displayed without cut width, it's each to see the points needed.

I don't have flood coolant, so chip evacuation can be an issue when plunging an endmill.
jk
Storm Trooper

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 20, 2018, 10:49:54 am »

kvom, did you tried the spiral lead-in ? I think I'm happy with it.

Set spiral angle in range 2..7 degrees. First revolution is slotting, but depth is gradually increasing so chips are small and there is a space for evacuation. Next revolutions (if any) have a much less engagement, since a lot of material is already removed. Tool just has to survive the first revolution :-)
kvom
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 20, 2018, 13:14:00 pm »

I didn't know that worked with these, but I'll definitely use it next time.
Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 20, 2018, 13:27:08 pm »

I use it all the time and it's what you need. If you leave the spiral angle at zero the tool will enter very slowly using the full diameter of the initial circular pocket for ramping down, just like it does in a profile MOP. But it will take a lot of time if the diameter is large. Therefore it's better to set a small angle value depending on the DOC, tool and material.

kvom
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 20, 2018, 20:45:00 pm »

I tried this today.  A problem I had is that it sets the leadin feedrate as the cut feedrate rather than the spiral feedrate.  I am using a high cut feedrate based on the axial engagement (.1 * diameter) which is a fraction of the engagement during the leading.  The result was insufficient chip clearance.

I then remembered the leadin feedrate setting which solved the problem on the restart.

I suggest that if the leadin feedrate is 0 that the leadin should be the plunge feedrate for "safety".
Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #206 on: April 07, 2018, 00:55:58 am »

I found the 0,0,0 bug. 

I think I commented before on the trochoidal pocket MOPs sometimes picking 0,0,0 as a start point when no start point had been set.  Worse when I changed it the start point would go back to 0,0,0 when I closed out and reopened later. 

It seems that I was using a style that had 0,0,0 set as the start point.  When I changed the setting to Auto in the trochoidal pocket it would work fine for the session, but the next time I opened the file it would go back to the start point inherited from the style.

jk
Storm Trooper

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 16, 2018, 15:59:44 pm »

Bob, I've tried to reproduce it.

Created a style with startpoint 0,0,0 defined.
If trochopock start set with concrete value (say, 10,20,0), it works and persist between sessions, all ok.
If I set value to 'default', it uses style startpoint, all ok too.
If I set value to 'auto', it uses automatic for session, but reverts to style value after reload.

Looks like values == 'auto' are not preserved between sessions by CB at all. Checked with native pocket mop and a few fields (startpoint, feedrate, clearance).
Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: April 16, 2018, 16:22:23 pm »

Thanks.  I appreciate the follow thru.  The issue is inherent in CamBam and not a bug in your plugin.  I fixed my issue by changing the style I was using since the 0,0,0 default didn't make sense anyway. 

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]
  Print  

Jump to: