CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 15, 2018, 22:34:26 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13
  Print  
Author Topic: CamBam plus V1.0 (Linux development release)  (Read 30148 times)
newlinuxuser
Droid

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: August 18, 2018, 00:08:55 am »

Today another upgrade of mono (now is 5.14.0.177) and now all files open correctly.  Shocked

After the last update regarding Unity,  the problem is alive again, in the same way as before.
django013
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 23, 2018, 05:50:52 am »

@newlinuxuser
I'm not sure, that cambam is the right address to blame for your problem.

I use debian stable and don't have your problems. May be, you should blame mono- or unity-folks for your problems.
newlinuxuser
Droid

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 23, 2018, 22:01:19 pm »

Thank you Django, I know this is not a problem regarding  cambam, Andy has already investigated on it, and he found a workaround for the next release. It have got it should be related to mono and how it use the threads. In relationship also with unity.

Some days ago, after a mono upgrade, the problem was solved. May be the mono guys fixed the problem!
But this fixing was not reliable: after some days and some other system upgrade, the problem starts again.

My post was just for sharing this informations,  not for blame something, the cause is already known.

( I'm thinking to try mum debian too, after several years with ubuntu. Is it really more complicated?)

Andrea
django013
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 01, 2018, 09:32:15 am »

My post was just for sharing this informations,  not for blame something
Ok, that's fine!

I'm thinking to try mum debian too, after several years with ubuntu. Is it really more complicated?
Well, not from my point of view.
My hardware is quite outdated, as am I ...
I never got a stable ubuntu with my hardware and as I use my pc to work with, I can't stand system crashes.

With debian stable you don't have unity - so you have to research, which window manager does fit your taste. I tested all and found out, that kde is the only one, that allows me to work like I want to work (i.e. save the size and position of all my applications as session snapshot - which will be loaded after login. I use 4 virtual desktops and the apps are loaded to the right desktop. I use window max in 1 direction only, and many more)
debian stable does not have bleeding edge applications, but therefore it is stable.
I use it now for more than 15 years without system crashes - and of cause without any trouble at major version change. Its fine for me.

I'm used to administrate the box from commandline, but there exists gui-wrappers for most tools.
I use two monitors in portrait orientation with nvidia quadro, so setup of x-server is a little challenge.
But no - nothing complicated at all.

cheers Reinhard
django013
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 01, 2018, 09:42:30 am »

Hi,

I'm going to buy a lathe in near future and wonder what the state of lathe processing in cambam is.
I read, that lathe processing changed in 98p from plugin to internal processing, but when I start cambam 1.x on linux, there's no lathe and I don't know, how to rotate the axis to view the workpiece in correct orientation.
eCam is no option for me. V2 does not work in a VM and V3 needs internet access for installation - both nogos for me.

So I would like to know the cambam lathe processing.

regards Reinhard

P.S. is there a way to increase default font size of all cambam texts, menues, what ever?
EddyCurrent
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 01, 2018, 10:41:59 am »

I don't use Linux but . . .
Some info about the CamBam lathe, http://www.cambam.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=7506.msg60369#msg60369
Did you read the manual section about the lathe ? http://www.cambam.info/doc/
django013
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 01, 2018, 14:45:45 pm »

Oh yes, I read both.
From the first, I thought, things might have changed since july and from the second I failed to read german translation only.
Meanwhile I read the original doc and found out, that the german translation was misleading.
The original doc is stil talking about lathe-plugin - and plugins don't work on linux demo ...

Guess I need some more patience Wink
EddyCurrent
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 01, 2018, 15:20:05 pm »

From the first, I thought, things might have changed since july

Yes, by the sound of it an update was expected sooner.

"The Lathe machining operation has been provided as a plugin. In this way the plugin can be developed and updated independently of the main CamBam application. It is also a demonstration of the ability to extend CamBam’s machining capability using user written plugins."

You forgot to mention the word 'demo' in earlier posts.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 15:22:21 pm by EddyCurrent » Logged
dave benson
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 01, 2018, 15:46:22 pm »

Hi Reinhard
I don't use linux either, I use Mach3 on a 9x20 lathe which has a nice set of wizards which I use mostly for day to day jobs and find them excellent, I thought that linuxcnc would have something similar but could be wrong.
You may be able to run Ezilathe (free) in a vm in Debian as it is very lightweight and it does a good job of reasonably complex work and is good at threading.

Dave 
dh42
Administrator
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: September 01, 2018, 15:49:10 pm »

Hello

The lathe MOP is still a plugin even in V1.0, so it can be used only with a license (on Linux) as for all plugins, or in demo mode on Windows up to 40 use of CamBam.

P.S. is there a way to increase default font size of all cambam texts, menues, what ever?

Not in CamBam itself, on Windows, it's the Windows font size that must be changed ... and I assume it's the same on Linux.

++
David
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 15:53:35 pm by dh42 » Logged
manymachines
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 01, 2018, 17:53:36 pm »

Regarding increasing the font size for the CamBam UI in Linux, I played with this today - see the attached screenshot.

I'm using the Gnome3 desktop env and opened the 'tweaks' tool.  Under the font settings I found that applying a scaling factor worked to increase the font size of the CamBam UI text.  Note that changing the font size of the 'Interface' or 'Document' settings had no effect - only scaling factor worked.  To see the changes you need to close/reopen CamBam after changing the font scaling factor.

* fontscale.png (232.3 KB, 1501x1004 - viewed 22 times.)
django013
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 02, 2018, 07:54:53 am »

You forgot to mention the word 'demo' in earlier posts.
I wrote it in earlier posts, but yes, this time I did not mention.
I don't have a cnc yet, so I used cambam to verify my manual nc programming, when I learned it.

I use Mach3 on a 9x20 lathe which has a nice set of wizards which I use mostly for day to day jobs and find them excellent
Sorry, but I don't agree. These wizards don't offer much more than manual turning.
Do you know G70/G71 from Fanuc or cycle95/cycle97 from Siemens?
mach3 wizards are poor mans turning cycles.
So I'd like to find something similar than the cycles from Fanuc or Siemens and as I already came to the point to love cambam ...

Not in CamBam itself, on Windows, it's the Windows font size that must be changed ... and I assume it's the same on Linux.
I researched the (poor) docs from mono and skimmed my system for configuration entries ...
... and I found those of repetier host only.
Then I read in mono docs, that there are no default settings for windows registry entries (might be hardcoded in mono?) - config consists of values only, which are accessed by the applications.
KDE does not work like gnome. There's no single scaling factor for font sizes.
In KDE you can change each font completely (font family, -style and -size), but mono does not take the settings from window manager, which I consider a failure.

any way - thanks to all for your attention and support.

cheers Reinhard
Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: Yesterday at 11:13:20 »

Unfortunately I practically have stopped working with CB for Linux. Because after the last major Mono update I got the opposite of what django013 describes - the size of the font in the built-in menus became huge. Text does not fit into the fields and I can't solve the problem.
There's one peculiarity: only the original CB menus are affected, the plugins and their windows display normal size text.

My option is to try to roll back to the previous version of Mono where texts were shown in normal size. But I kept hoping that the new versions of Mono would eventually solve other problems like 'windows forms' problems in CB.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 11:16:03 by Dragonfly » Logged

Before asking a question do some effort and walk through all menus and options in CamBam.  Maybe the answer is there. Please.
EddyCurrent
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: Yesterday at 11:46:36 »

Andy mentioned to me that he was considering specifying a particular Linux distro for CamBam due to the differences across versions and the effort involved in trying to make it work on all of them. He also mentioned that Linux Mint seemed to work well.  
Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: Yesterday at 14:20:40 »

They are all Ubuntu with different desktop managers. AFAIK Mint uses Cinnamon and mine uses Mate desktop environment. Maybe it's desktop environment related. But it was OK regarding font sizes on my computer. Something changed in Mono. Might it be that it is .NET 4.5 compliant and CB 1.0 is targeted to 4.0 ?

Before asking a question do some effort and walk through all menus and options in CamBam.  Maybe the answer is there. Please.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13
  Print  

Jump to: