CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 17, 2018, 04:34:01 am

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13
  Print  
Author Topic: CamBam plus V1.0 (Linux development release)  (Read 36805 times)
Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: July 27, 2018, 18:21:55 pm »

David, if do not have 'Midnight Commander ' installed, do it. (sudo apt-get install mc)
It's almost like the good old 'Norton Commander' for DOS which people like us still remember Smiley
Start it with 'mc' in a terminal or 'sudo mc' if you are not afraid of having root privileges over the whole system  Grin

Before asking a question do some effort and walk through all menus and options in CamBam.  Maybe the answer is there. Please.
dh42
Administrator
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: July 27, 2018, 18:23:46 pm »

What distribution are you using

Ubuntu 14.04 lts

++
David
onekk
Wookie

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 27, 2018, 18:37:42 pm »

In most of the File Manager there is a checl box somewhere to tick to show hidden files, but the command line is working everytime open a terminal and cd to the home directory maybe with

Code:
cd ~

then

Code:
ls -al

or maybe

Code:
ls -al --color

and see the output in techicolor.

I have three terminal open at startup in workspace 1 and I use 9 workspaces, a concept bit different from the usual "windows way" but more useful when programming and doing stuff.

workspace 1 = terminals
workspace 2 = internet browser
workspace 3 = text editor
workspace 4 = file manager
workspace 5 = programming environment
workspace 6 = Cambam and maybe CAD and some other stuff

the remaining are for some other stuff just in case...

:-D

Regards

Carlo D.

Carlo D. (onekk)

eShapeoko #343 750x1000 mm + GRBL + bCNC + CamBam
dh42
Administrator
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: July 27, 2018, 18:52:04 pm »

Ok, but how to make the hidden folders visible in the GUI as in windows (as icons)

Are there any XML files at the  ~/.mono/registry/CurrentUser location on your machine David that are not on DragonFly's?

I hope it's what you are asking for on the picture.

++
David

* Capture du 2018-07-27 19_47_35.png (353.86 KB, 1400x1050 - viewed 56 times.)
Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 27, 2018, 18:57:55 pm »

Ok, but how to make the hidden folders visible in the GUI as in windows (as icons)
Depends on the file manager used in the particular distribution but usually in the 'Vew' menu there is an option to show hidden files.

Before asking a question do some effort and walk through all menus and options in CamBam.  Maybe the answer is there. Please.
dh42
Administrator
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: July 27, 2018, 19:03:08 pm »

Depends on the file manager used in the particular distribution but usually in the 'Vew' menu there is an option to show hidden files.

YES ! ... thanks for the trick ....  Grin

the ~/.mono/registry/CurrentUser  is empty

++
David
EddyCurrent
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 27, 2018, 20:49:42 pm »

Snappy seems to work, this is the code to save the settings.
It uses "Microsoft.Win32"

Code:
using Microsoft.Win32;

private bool SaveRegSetting(string AppName, string Section, string Key, string Setting)
        {
            try
            {
                // Use CreateSubKey (create or open it if already exits)
                // located in, HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software   
                RegistryKey rootKey = Registry.CurrentUser.CreateSubKey("Software");
                RegistryKey appKey = rootKey.CreateSubKey(AppName);
                RegistryKey sectionKey = appKey.CreateSubKey(Section);

sectionKey.SetValue(Key, Setting);
                return true;
            }
            catch (Exception e)
            {
                CamBam.ThisApplication.AddLogMessage(TextTranslation.Translate("Registry Write Error " + e));
                return false;
            }
        }
Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 27, 2018, 20:54:15 pm »

Yep, Snappy works on my current Linux system.

dh42
Administrator
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: July 27, 2018, 22:05:02 pm »

Yes, it seems that it's only with VB that the problems appears. (and the Form)

What is strange is with the Form.Hide() & Form.Close() statements ; the Hide works on my linux but not on Dragon's linux version (or mono ... )

That just need that I remember the 3 4 things to not use for linux  Roll Eyes  Grin ... and of course I remembered only 2 until Dragon say me that the Select By Object Type plugin worked, so I looked in the code and I seen that Close is used instead Hide.

@Andy: at the beginning of the V1.0 you said me that you've tried a sort of C# script ; any news about that .. ?

edit: and another question: is the calculation faster on CB 64 bit than on CB 32 bits ? (i.e. on a 3D mop)

++
David
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 23:20:58 pm by dh42 » Logged
onekk
Wookie

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 28, 2018, 10:29:41 am »

Are there any XML files at the  ~/.mono/registry/CurrentUser location on your machine David that are not on DragonFly's?

I hope it's what you are asking for on the picture.

++
David

Ok also im ny setting there Directory is created, but it's empty I suspect that the files are created upon request, I have to investigate how to use them on Linux, (When I can restart developing with CamBam).

No luck for the /etc/mono/ system dir, as told by Andy the Directory is here but it hold some subdirectories:

2.0 4.0 4.5 (I suspect related to the mayor NET versions) and two other Directories "certstore" and "mconfig" plus two files "borwscap.ini" and "config" in config there are an xml file that hold some versions of the libraries or maybe a better guess a translation table of the library calls, in fact the data are in the form:

Code:
<dllmap dll="gdiplus" target="libgdiplus.so.0" os="!windows"/>

no trace of something resembling a registry file, but maybe it is created only on demand, but i doubt that it is created here (due to the Linux permissions, generally a user can't write in a system directory and /etc/ is obe of the most important system Directories)

Regards

Carlo D.

Carlo D. (onekk)

Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 28, 2018, 10:42:41 am »

My understanding is that Mono does not create and maintain a true and native Windows registry but represents and simulates it with XML data.

onekk
Wookie

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 28, 2018, 11:05:20 am »

Mono is not NET is a port of NET and NET is related to windows on some behaviour.

So Mono have to mimic the windows "way of doing" something, and this is clear in many places.

But Mono was acquired by Microsoft to be able to develop things for the miobile platform (Xamarin Studio) and underlying of this there is  Mono as a portable platform, so in the recent times more things are converging on Mono, and some implementations of Microsoft things are ported to Mono to permit the developers that has only a knowledge of Windows tools to program also on other platforms (Notably Xamarin permit to develop an application that compile runs on Android, on iOS and Linux and also on Windows) with a little efforts.

Regarding the Linux part the main concern is related to the Windows.Forms widget that control the spreadsheet type of visualization and modification that is broken.

According to the Mono documentation the implementation of Windows.Forms is considered done (only bugfixing) in fact System.Windows.Forms lack of some "advanced" control like RichText... (I don't remember well) and some other controls.

The main issue is when trying to modify the last line of the cell generally trying to delete the last line or using a tab to go past the last column crash the system.

And also generally using only the direction arrow to move in the cell grid is working without problems, the TAB key generally create some problems, (If i don't go wrong when trying to pass to the next line a TAB generate a crash)

For modidying many values, in general I try to modify the .cb file directly, searching for the object ID and using a text editor.

The only way I suppose is to rewrite the "..." routine to use a generated windows that use only label and text controls generated on the fly to modify the values as they are well supported in both Linux and Windows.

If you want to have a well working Linux version.

Some other glitches on Linux are the managing of the GDI interface, that can cause problems and the behaviour of some ALT + key combinations, but this is "solved" changing the behaviour of the window manager (thing became more complicated with GNOME derivated as they have two places when they store such informations, one place is respecting the standard GNOME naming scheme, the other places rescpect the WM used by the DE, so in mate you have two place for the key).

THis behaviour i hope is clear As i have done one post in the linux page sometime ago explaining how to make the things works on Mate (And I suspect also Cinnamon is the same).

Other WM are more easy to configure so I'm using a plain OpenBox with some part that glue together the different programs to obtain a semi DE behaviour, the matter is explained in many places on the Web as on Linux the GUI is a matter of taste, the only things that didn't change are the X.org backend (that is the program that display the things on screen), a program that mantain a message bus DBUS that have to be in place to permit the communication between the various programs, and a program that manage the devices Hotplug generally udev/eudev/evdev (many names related to the systemd presence of absence).

On top of this infrastructure, a program called WM (Window Manager) is managing user interaction.

A DE is a "monolithic" term to call the many programs that interacts one wich the other to mantain a similar "look and feel" between the part of the interface, the more known are KDE and GNOME.

But they are big, and assume that a user have to do the things in one manner and tend to anticipate the will of the user making many automations and assumptions on "How the user have to do something" so many people prefer get rid of the DE and use a mix of programs that do the tricks.

The main concern are that on Linux the GUI is managed by some Toolkit mainly GTK (Gnome Tool Kit) and Qt (KDE) but GTK is messed up by the use of GTK2 and GTK3 that have different places in which you have to configure the interface and so the result is a mess in managing and obtaining a "look and feel" spanned across the different programs, as the GTK3 is a pain and many developers prefer to switch to Qt as it is more easy to learn a new Toolkit that assuming that a thing has to be done in a totally different way porting from GTK2 to GTK3.

Sorry for the long post.

Regards

Carlo D.

Carlo D. (onekk)

newlinuxuser
Droid

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 08, 2018, 00:26:12 am »

Today another upgrade of mono (now is 5.14.0.177) and now all files open correctly.  Shocked
onekk
Wookie

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 12, 2018, 15:15:18 pm »

Mono is "under active development", but now Xamarin is a Microsoft Division and hope it will be more supported.

As now in windows 10 there is a Linux Console (I didn't remember the exact name) where a windows user could install some linux distribution and run them directly in Windows the hope is that the thing will be better, but i doubt that the actual Mono implementation of Windows.Forms will be changed and improved as it rely on UI of Windows that are difficutl to port.

There are rumors on a new GUI for .NET that maybe in future will be a viable solution for cross-platform software.

If this GUI will be usable on the  most diffused platforms (Windows, OSX, Linux, iOS and Android) there is some hope that it will be usable to write good software as the internals of the GUI will be targeted to be more cross-platform by design.

Regards

Carlo D.

Carlo D. (onekk)

Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 12, 2018, 16:31:04 pm »

Hi Carlo,
maybe you can help me with this.
After the last Mono upgrade the CamBam menus use huge font size and I can't remember (or maybe never knew) how to configure them. Before the upgrade the menu fonts were OK and if I am not mistaken they are affected by Qt settings.
Currently installed version is Qt 4.

* BigFonts.png (66.55 KB, 807x840 - viewed 29 times.)

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13
  Print  

Jump to: