CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 13, 2017, 14:48:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cheap ball end mills for 3D...  (Read 1420 times)
dkemppai
Storm Trooper

View Profile
« on: December 18, 2016, 04:07:07 am »

Hi All,

Here's a hint. I tried a small 3D Project the other day. I didn't have a ball end mill small enough to finish the part. However, there's a drawer full of Brasseler carbide dental burrs next to my mill. (These get used with a 400K RPM air turbine). The mill has a 24K RPM spindle. So I pulled out the 1/16 inch collet and a 0.8mm burr from the pile. It worked perfectly to mill out a small profile in 440C stainless. The best part about these is the price, at around $0.85 each in quantities of 10.

So, if you have some small detailing to do on parts that aren't too deep, these may be just the thing. The burrs I have are 1/16 inch shank friction grip parts. (A standard for dental tools). They performed perfectly on 440C stainless, and they're cheap enough to break a few with out breaking the bank.

A couple things to keep in mind. First is that most of them are carbide brazed or silver soldered onto steel shanks, so the shank may flex a bit more than solid carbide. This could be good or bad depending on how you look at it. Second, center cutting clearance is a little thin. So plunge cuts may not work as well as you expect them to. I haven't tried them in this mode, but you may want to lead into a cut that isn't a pencil type finish.

Dan

stevehuckss396
Wookie

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 22:23:08 pm »

Thanks for the tip!!
jorifar
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 14:49:40 pm »

Thank you! This is very useful

I'm a new game developer so I'm here to find tips and tricks for creation of 3D games
kvom
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 15:52:38 pm »

Possibly your dentist will have used ones for free.
drobbins
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 14:24:48 pm »

that is indeed a good deal.
here's another source I found for solid carbide
good prices, good service

https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_sop=12&_ssn=drillman1&rt=nc
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: