CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 20, 2017, 05:36:33 am

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]
  Print  
Author Topic: Trochoidal Pocket & Profile MOPs plugin (HSM)  (Read 16796 times)
dah79
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: July 26, 2017, 23:29:13 pm »

Machining a pocket in 6061 AL .25"deep.  Using the Trochoidal pocket MOP, and if I change the spiral feedrate slower than cut feedrate, it follows the spiral feedrate for the whole toolpath.  I just want to slow down the initial spiral to depth cut plunge rate.

For a temporary fix, I just created a circle and used a standard pocket MOP down to -.25".  And then ran the trochoidal pocket MOP with a start point at the previous circle center.  While this works, I thought the troch MOP would handle the initial plunge....
jk
Storm Trooper

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 27, 2017, 00:34:20 am »

A few options:

1) Lead Move Type: Spiral, Spiral Angle: 0, Lead Move Feedrate: desired feedrate
this will follow the full spiral backward, gradually going into the depth. First rev will be hard on a cutter (slotting)
next revs will be easier since a lot of material is removed.

2) Same but Spiral Angle: 1..5 degrees.
This will use the only a part of spiral for plunging, faster time but more cutter load.

3) Lead Move Type: Tangent, Spiral Angle: 1..5 degree, Tangent Radius: ~ tool diameter / 4
This will do the helical drill you probably want. But please verify the result with the 'show cut widths' enabled, in some cases it may be placed wrong and interfere with the pocket walls )

dah79
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 27, 2017, 13:01:46 pm »

I will try suggestion #3 and see if it works for me.  Another thing I noticed is that it doesn't get completely into the corners.  Is this possibly a setting I am missing?  Sorry for all the questions, but I had kind of gotten away from CamBam, but using this MOP is the best way for me to mill aluminum.

* Troch MOP.png (132.78 KB, 1079x644 - viewed 65 times.)
EddyCurrent
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 27, 2017, 13:10:44 pm »

Another thing I noticed is that it doesn't get completely into the corners.  Is this possibly a setting I am missing?  Sorry for all the questions, but I had kind of gotten away from CamBam, but using this MOP is the best way for me to mill aluminum.

It's generally best to finish with a profile cut to clean things up so that would remove any left overs at the edges.
dah79
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 27, 2017, 13:16:35 pm »

It's generally best to finish with a profile cut to clean things up so that would remove any left overs at the edges.

Which is what I was doing, just wondered why it didn't get closer as the bit will fit in that area. 
Thanks
Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 27, 2017, 13:20:14 pm »

As I see it, the plugin's power is in bulk material removal for roughing. Therefore some finishing should be added too.

Before asking a question do some effort and walk through all menus and options in CamBam.  Maybe the answer is there. Please.
dah79
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 27, 2017, 13:23:19 pm »

As I see it, the plugin's power is in bulk material removal for roughing. Therefore some finishing should be added too.

I agree.  The plugin works very well for what I want/need!!  Just trying to make sure that I am not missing something obvious.
jk
Storm Trooper

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 27, 2017, 13:50:03 pm »

I will try suggestion #3 and see if it works for me.  Another thing I noticed is that it doesn't get completely into the corners.  Is this possibly a setting I am missing? 

There must be a little extra space between the tool and narrow channel to consider it millable.
Otherwise the trocho slices will transform into the straight slotting (180 degrees tool engagement angle) and a possibly broken tool. This extra space is about the 5% of the tool diameter.

If the corner is wide enough but not milled completely, try changing the Minimum Stepover. Say, 0.8 instead of default 0.9.
dah79
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 27, 2017, 14:06:50 pm »

Thank you for all the help.

3) Lead Move Type: Tangent, Spiral Angle: 1..5 degree, Tangent Radius: ~ tool diameter / 4
This will do the helical drill you probably want. But please verify the result with the 'show cut widths' enabled, in some cases it may be placed wrong and interfere with the pocket walls )

This solution worked for me.
kvom
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 15, 2017, 12:40:13 pm »

Yesterday I used the profile for the first time, and because I wanted to mill away all the stock around it I made the cut width large enough to do so.  However, I found that in doing so I was cutting air a lot of the time.  In retrospect, I realized that had I created a rectangle around the stock, the pocket version would have done the same thing with very little air cuts.

Experimenting, it seems that a rectangle large than the stock by the tool diameter in both dimensions was needed.

Thought I'd share.
Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

^ 8.5 pounds on my own hand poured bait.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: August 17, 2017, 16:07:44 pm »

Generally I got better results with the pocket version of this plugin.  Sometimes I create custom shapes with a starting tab outside the stock.  Other times I create custom pocket and island setups.  I've found to really get the most out of this you have to spend a little more time thinking about the actual machining. 

Getting started on CNC?  In or passing through my area?
If I have the time I'll be glad to show you a little in my shop. 

Some Stuff I Make with CamBam
http://www.CNCMOLDS.com
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]
  Print  

Jump to: