CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 20, 2017, 11:24:32 am

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: LinuxCNc + Laser post processor  (Read 2107 times)
dh42
Administrator
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« on: November 07, 2016, 19:34:01 pm »

Hello,

Here is a post processor for LinuxCNc and laser.

This PP uses the start cut and end cut properties to generate the start and stop commands for the laser.

Those commands are specific for the laser because they starts/stops the laser at the same time that the axis movement (X Y)

A M3 is generated in the Gcode when the Z axis goes bellow Z = 0.

A M5 is generated when the Z axis go above Z=0

To use it in Cambam, you must use a Z move to start/stop the laser

Example:

Clearance plane = 0.01
Stock surface = 0
Target depth = -0.01

Note, for use with holding tabs, use the Skip Tab style.

++
David

* LinuxCNC_laser.zip (0.69 KB - downloaded 68 times.)
Helihead
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 00:25:40 am »

Hi David,

This is exactly what I need so thanks VERY much for posting this..

Only problem I am having is that I can't get this postprocessor installed in CamBam.  I tried "Reload Postprocessors" and selecting from the postprocessor drop down but I can't see it.

Any suggestions for how to get this installed?

Thanks!
Jeff
lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 00:35:48 am »

Jeff,
Please excuse me if I get too "simplistic" in my comment.  You don't give us much to go on, except that "it doesn't work".

First, did you unzip the file?
Second, did you copy the UNZIPPED result into the post-processors folder of CB?

Third, although "reload post processors" can work, I prefer to shut down the app, and re-launch it.

Then... don't count on it showing in the 'list' of post-processors.  Some show up as added icons on the toolbar, or as added menu items in the pull-downs.

Lloyd

"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"
Helihead
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 00:49:16 am »

so yes I copied the cbpp into the /post directory that is under my cambam install. 

I went into System/Postprocessors and checked to make sure that the /post directory was set as the postprocessor directory and it is.

I added a new Postprocessor in System/Postprocessors of that name and it seemed to find it because if I mistype the name it throws an error.  When I type the name correctly it seems happy.

I can see it in  the list of postprocessors.

I went into System.Configuration/Default Post Processor and selected it.  Then saved.

I opened a simple drawing with several objects.  I selected each on and created an engrave item for each.  I set the stock surface to 0, the target depth to -1 and the clearance plane to .1 for each.

Then I created the GCoge and edited the CGode.  There is an M3 S1000 (default spindle speed) before the first cut ONLY.  There is one M5 right at the end of the file.  I can see operations for each engrave but they do not have their own M3s and M5s.

Thanks for your help.
Jeff
lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 00:58:21 am »

Jeff,
It would be more helpful of the local 'help', if you'd also post your .cb file, and perhaps a copy of what it produced as a .nc file.

Sometimes, it's not apparent that a PP is working because of other problems you might have in the .cb file.

You'll surely find help here quickly.

Your CB file will probably indicate no tool changes between MOps have been selected. (just a guess)
That's often due to using tool #0 (which is a 'special' tool number), and not adhering to the correct tool-selection modes of CB.

Your .cb file would show us that.

Lloyd

"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"
Helihead
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 01:02:08 am »

Got it.  I looked at the postprocessor in CamBam and it showed the Start and end cuts were empty.  I added M3 and M5 respectively and now I have M3s at the beginning of a cut and M5s right before each reposition and then it goes M3 on again for the next cut.

You just made my like much easier.

Thanks!
Jeff
dh42
Administrator
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 01:49:36 am »

Hello,

Got it.  I looked at the postprocessor in CamBam and it showed the Start and end cuts were empty.

Strange, I think you have made a mismatch somewhere .. I just load and install it and the M3 and M5 are present in start cut and end cut  Huh (but must not be set in the start and stop spindle, both must stay empty)

Note that when a post processor is selected as default (it appears with a green arrow), that not necessary means that it will by used be your project.

If another post processor is selected in the post processor property of the machining folder, it will replace the one selected as default. The PP property in the machining folder must be empty (delete any name that can be here, even the word 'default') or select the LinuxCNC_Laser PP to be sure it is used.

++
David
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: