CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 21, 2017, 07:26:17 am

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Using layers as input for machining.  (Read 1452 times)
Frank@Solution
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« on: August 15, 2016, 17:21:36 pm »

Hi,

It wxould be great if we could use a layer as input for machining.
Then you can have all the drilling parts in one layer, all the pockets in another etc.

That way it is easier to automate the machining form an external dxf.

Thanks.
EddyCurrent
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 17:30:21 pm »

So, just to understand this; if you have five pockets in a layer but they all have different depths and sizes, how does your plan work ?
Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 09:35:45 am »

If the external .DXF has layers they will be imported as separate layers with their original names. But I don't quite get the OP's idea.

What CB really lacks is GROUPING and UNGROUPING - making groups (or blocks) of selected objects and manipulating them as one object. Very useful for moving/aligning and eventually - machining.
The objects, selected for a MOP represent a similar group (collection) but they are tied to the MOP and need to be selected individually every time.

As for the layers, they need to have a "locked" property - i.e. visible but not editable.
IMHO Smiley
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 09:37:31 am by Dragonfly » Logged

Before asking a question do some effort and walk through all menus and options in CamBam.  Maybe the answer is there. Please.
Bubba
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 11:26:24 am »

What CB really lacks is GROUPING and UNGROUPING
+1  Wink
dwc
Wookie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 14:16:56 pm »

It wxould be great if we could use a layer as input for machining.

Everything you enter in CB is on one layer or another.
You can move things to whatever layer you wish, add or delete layers.
There is nothing keeping you from doing what you suggest.
Just do it.
Don

Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

^ 8.5 pounds on my own hand poured bait.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 15:48:52 pm »

You can right click >> select all on layer, and then select a machining operation.  I use it all the time for engraving complex and numerous groups of lines like the scale pattern on the side of a swimbait that has been mapped to a surface, or a company logo that has been mapped to the egg sack on a worm. 

For other things it might not be quite so convenient.

Getting started on CNC?  In or passing through my area?
If I have the time I'll be glad to show you a little in my shop. 

Some Stuff I Make with CamBam
http://www.CNCMOLDS.com
dh42
Administrator
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 21:16:13 pm »

Hello

The objects, selected for a MOP represent a similar group (collection) but they are tied to the MOP and need to be selected individually every time.

To select the objets already assigned to a MOP -> Right clic on the MOP/select drawing objets, then immediately hit ESC to exit, and the objects used by the MOP stay selected.

++
David

« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 21:18:49 pm by dh42 » Logged
Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 22:59:12 pm »

That's a handy trick, David. Never guessed about the escape Smiley
But it is not the same as having real grouping. You will hardly find a more dedicated CamBam supporter than me but some things should be said for the sake of its development and improvement.

Before asking a question do some effort and walk through all menus and options in CamBam.  Maybe the answer is there. Please.
dh42
Administrator
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 23:11:53 pm »

But it is not the same as having real grouping.

Yes sure, ... maybe in the next release (I hope) ; There is a new drawing object called "script object" that can handle multiple shapes (by script description) .. and I think it can be extended to handle group or something like this.

++
David
Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2016, 06:23:57 am »

And while we are at it - one other thing -
align objects relative to the last (or first) in the selection - top, bottom, left, right and center

Actually, as far as I can asses, this can be done with a plugin like the numeric move.
Smiley
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 06:26:00 am by Dragonfly » Logged

dh42
Administrator
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2016, 17:00:44 pm »

align objects relative to the last (or first) in the selection - top, bottom, left, right and center

Yes, good idea Wink

++
David
Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2016, 17:45:44 pm »

A standard function in many drawing programs (I use it a lot in CorelDraw, Illustrator also has it) which I miss when rearranging objects. Sometimes I have to move an object from its correct place, then the rest one by one aligning them relative to the X/Y coordinate start and then move them in packet to the place they should be.
If I have a rectangular polyline and a circular one, selecting the circular, then the rectangular and activating "align centers" would move the circular so that its center coincides with the rectangular one.

kkrueger
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2017, 09:38:44 am »

Hello everyone,

I hope it is appropriate to warm-up this thread about layers and MOPs.  Grin

As discussed here
http://www.cambam.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=6569.0

...it would be a great aid to be able to point to MOP's primitives through layers.
More explanation:
The MOP currently stores explicit primitive IDs. As DXF files come structured by layers, and CamBam properly feeds them into it's projects, it would be a great thing to be able to store the layer name in the MOPs and thus *indirectly* use them as a pointer to all primitive IDs contained in that layer(s).

This would greatly save lots of work when updating the DXF source of a project...

@Andy:
Maybe, this could be a nice supplement to the v1.0 branch.  Roll Eyes

Have a nice sunday afternoon,
Konrad
Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

^ 8.5 pounds on my own hand poured bait.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2017, 16:24:29 pm »

Like layers themselves, tool libraries, and styles.  They are really only useful if you plan ahead.  Tools like this that work are really handy if you do plan ahead.  Putting points lists for your screw holes on the same layer as a mapped texture pattern is stupid and poor planning once you start to learn how everything works.

"What if I randomly put different types of things on the same layer?"  Then why even have layers?  Really?

The tool would be excellent for somebody who uses good planning to take advantage of it. 

Getting started on CNC?  In or passing through my area?
If I have the time I'll be glad to show you a little in my shop. 

Some Stuff I Make with CamBam
http://www.CNCMOLDS.com
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: