CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 29, 2017, 04:34:54 am

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mach3 with Manual Z Axis  (Read 734 times)
Omacitin
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« on: July 24, 2016, 02:04:34 am »

Hey all,

I'm using a retrofitted mill with X and Y servos only.  Mostly I've been doing drilling, pockets, and profiles.  To accommodate the lack of a Z axis servo, I've been going through and switching out G0/G1 Z movements for a pause command.  This lets me move the quill to the right height before continuing.

Would it be possible to make this switch automatically by editing the Mach3 post processor? Or is there a better way?

Thanks!
kvom
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 02:34:18 am »

Seems you should just do profile and pocket mops with DOC and target depth equal, so there's only one pass.  Then you can adjust the Z and rerun the program.
lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 11:49:51 am »

Hmmm...Kvom, that strategy would not work for anything requiring a return to clearance!

Omacitin,
Yes, it would be VERY easy to change a pp to do what you ask.  You should NOT modify THE Mach3 pp, though.

Instead, save a new copy of it under a name that is unique to your machine, and edit that one.

Lloyd

"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"
Omacitin
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 17:56:11 pm »

Seems you should just do profile and pocket mops with DOC and target depth equal, so there's only one pass.  Then you can adjust the Z and rerun the program.

That's true, and I could.  It starts to be a pain for parts with multiple pockets and finish passes, though.

Omacitin,
Yes, it would be VERY easy to change a pp to do what you ask.  You should NOT modify THE Mach3 pp, though.

Instead, save a new copy of it under a name that is unique to your machine, and edit that one.

Lloyd

Right!  I've made a duplicate of the default PP.

Can you tell me where to start looking, with regards to making that modification?

sunny
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 10:53:30 am »

Hi Omacitin,

did you have any success on solving this problem?
I have an equal setup and would like to have a M0 command after a Z-Axis change to do the movement manually.
I've take a look in the Mach 3 PP but it's really cryptic and i don't have any idea how to change this.
Can you give me a hint if you found a solution?

Greetings
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: