CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 15, 2018, 22:40:51 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Webcam + Mach3 for setting zero  (Read 10821 times)
airnocker
Wookie

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2016, 01:44:35 am »

Thanks Eddy, I'm not familiar with the Mach3 camera plug-in so is cross-hair an overlay from it?  If not explain the where the cross-hair comes from.  

Also, what is the maximum resolution of the webcam yo used?

« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 02:28:32 am by airnocker » Logged

airnocker

Everything depends on everything else
joel.r1
Droid

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2016, 14:37:20 pm »

Thanks for the links, I've been on all of those websites, some software worked some did not, I might write my own plugin.
Eddy, if you move into that direction, I will be interested.
I built my own camera too, very similar to yours. The X & Y zero were done with screws pushing directly on the camera board. Bad idea, it damaged the board. It is still working, but for how long ?
I'm also thinking about a permanently fixed camera on the side of the head.
Still job to be done on my side to keep me busy  Wink
Joel
airnocker
Wookie

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2016, 23:44:12 pm »

This got me thinking.  I had added a cross-hair LED laser to the side of my router mount years ago, intending one day to figure out the offset relationship to the center line of the router.  That's when I decided to relocate the laser to the front of the router mount shown in this photo resulting in primarily an X offset and a very small Y offset from the CL of the bit.  I found using the laser cross-hair to quickly maneuver to the corner of my material and entering the XY offsets from 0,0 to be surprisingly repeatable. (I usually use an XY touch plate for this and a reference bit)

After considering the amount of work to build a nice, center line camera housing like Eddie and others did, it seems possible to use the webcam in a similar permanent "leading" offset position like the laser is now but using a different mounting method.

The sharing of ideas and methods is what makes this forum great!

* 20160704_161133s.jpg (1023.81 KB, 4000x2250 - viewed 197 times.)

airnocker

Garyhlucas
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2016, 02:09:10 am »

I bought a spindle mounted laser from Little Machine Shop and we have it in a dedicated tool holder. Easily gets you with a couple of thousanths. First one got destroyed, it won't cut metal very well. However we thought highly of it and got another.

Gary H. Lucas

Have you read my blog?
 http://a-little-business.blogspot.com/
airnocker
Wookie

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2016, 03:48:38 am »

Love hearing about new CNC accessory sources, thanks Gary.

Bam! They sure are proud of theirs.  http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=2543&category=

Mine cost like $8.

airnocker

EddyCurrent
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2016, 08:37:27 am »

I thought about mounting the camera with an offset after watching some videos about laser cross hairs but there is a problem.
To reduce parallax error and to zoom in close for greater accuracy the camera needs to be about 1/2" to 3/4" from the work piece. This means it has to be height adjustable and so I decided mounting it where the tool goes was best. If mounted permanently in an offset position somewhere else on the Z axis it would be destroyed as the Z axis moves down.
I realise it would be more convenient if it was mounted with an offset but I only use it once at the start of a job to get the fixture in place.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 08:44:53 am by EddyCurrent » Logged
airnocker
Wookie

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2016, 17:30:07 pm »

I see your point, Eddy.  I mount the laser cross-hairs that is offset from the bit, but pointing straight down, perpendicularly and would do the camera the same way.  There is no parallax error, simply a pure Cartesian XY offset from the bit, at any height.

Or am I missing something?

airnocker

Garyhlucas
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2016, 01:00:06 am »

Love hearing about new CNC accessory sources, thanks Gary.

Bam! They sure are proud of theirs.  http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=2543&category=

Mine cost like $8.
Yep, then you made a mount, aligned it etc. That's fine if half the fun is doing that, but we make money making parts not tools so the motivation is a bit different.

Gary H. Lucas

Have you read my blog?
 http://a-little-business.blogspot.com/
airnocker
Wookie

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2016, 01:43:00 am »

Cool.  Then for you the expense is a write-off.

airnocker

airnocker
Wookie

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2018, 22:07:03 pm »

So, it's been almost two years since I last commented in this post and first read EddyCurrent's webcam addition. (I always meant to "getaroundtoit" before now but time and other projects intervened.

I ran across an even older topic on the Machsupport.com/forum here by Tweakie.CNC, http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,22932.0.html and this inspired me again, especially since I made some mods to my diy cnc machine and am doing more complicated isolation routed PCBs, with double-sided ones in my wish list.  It is a good read, with solutions to various Mach3 issues that can frustrate one.

I'm going to be implementing this and will report on how it turns out, albeit in a new thread.

airnocker

lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2018, 23:09:19 pm »

Please!  DO let us know the details.  I occasionally need to make a PCB for some new project, and would love to have all the details on how to route them, rather than etch them, as I do now.

Lloyd

"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"
airnocker
Wookie

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2018, 01:28:07 am »

Ah ha! I found one of the posts I made today and this is it.  Thanks Lloyd.

I will do so, Lloyd.  One really great find was the use of an Autolevelling Java app that probes the area of the copper board and creates a height map stored as a CSV file.  Then your intended G-Code for doing the isolation routing is loaded into the app.  The app then adjusts the Z height commands of your original G-Code according to the height map data.  This solves the huge problem of having F4 quality single and/or double-sided boards that can vary in thickness by a few thousandths making the width of cut for a given DOC vary.

airnocker

lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2018, 02:44:13 am »

Knocker,
Is that an 'external application', or only something that runs on your router?

That would be a nice tool... because, yes, PCB material can vary in thickness across even so small as a foot square by several thou'.

But, I'd still have to find or build an app to scan my boards, since the machine has no such inherent abillty.

Lloyd

"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"
airnocker
Wookie

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2018, 04:49:00 am »

Knocker,
Is that an 'external application', or only something that runs on your router?

That would be a nice tool... because, yes, PCB material can vary in thickness across even so small as a foot square by several thou'.

But, I'd still have to find or build an app to scan my boards, since the machine has no such inherent abillty.

Lloyd

Lloyd, the autoleveller app is a separate standalone app for LinuxCNC or Mach3.  More details and information can be read on their website here: https://www.autoleveller.co.uk/

For less than a one time $30 US membership you can unlimited updates, access to the autoleveller user forum and more.

I've not installed my copy yet as I'm just finishing up my machine maintenance.  As I use Mach3 I am assuming at this point in time that it uses (reads) Mach3's config to know how to accurately control the CNC machine as it goes through the probing (G31) matrix.  The java app input screen is where you set the parameters for the dimensions of the probing area, starting location, feed rates, probing interval, etc..

So with CB, a isolation MOPs are created and G-Code generated.  After the java app probes the copper plate it prompts for the G-Code files to be loaded into the java app.  The app then generates a separate but modified G-Code file with the Z DOC's modified according.  The app also displays a color coded height map after probing.

Note that this works best with probing via a BOB that supports the G31 probing command.  And it appears that Mach3 is up and running normally, and the java app is then also started and then used in parallel.

Check it out.  Lots of people on the machsupport.com/forum have been using it with accolades.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 05:00:23 am by airnocker » Logged

airnocker

Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2018, 10:30:35 am »

I have used the Java autoleveller some time ago but then found this one - G-code Ripper - a stand alone app written in Python. On my request the author added the option for touch probing and saving the data in a CSV file so it can be used if a tool is broken or using more than one tool (a larger one for clearing copper). Visualizes the tool paths on screen. Source code is also available.
http://scorchworks.com/Gcoderipper/gcoderipper.html
At that time the Java based app lacked this option. I am using it not only for PCB milling but for engraving on irregular surfaces. Very pleased with it so far.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 10:32:35 am by Dragonfly » Logged

Before asking a question do some effort and walk through all menus and options in CamBam.  Maybe the answer is there. Please.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: