CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 14, 2019, 21:49:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: V-Cutters and Corner Overcut  (Read 2166 times)
Dman65
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« on: February 26, 2016, 18:11:13 pm »

In the documentation, it indicates:

If the Tool Profile parameter for a machining operation is set to V-Cutter, a ramped cut is inserted up to the stock surface, all the way into the inside corner. This can result in nice clean square corners when an appropriate V cutter is used.

I am not entirely certain I understand what this is saying. Can anyone tell me how I would determine what the "appropriate V-cutter" would be so I can purchase one and try this feature?

I understand the "dog bone" concept, but if there is some way of making cleaner joints with a V-cutter, I would definitely be interested in trying it.
dh42
Administrator
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 18:41:48 pm »

Hello,

I think it's a V tool with no flat tip.

have a look at the french doc, there is a picture that show the result and also the values for the target depth (profondeur finale) that match depending of the tool angle and tool diameter.

(section: D├ęgagement des angles)

http://www.atelier-des-fougeres.fr/Cambam/Aide/cam/Profile.htm

++
David
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 18:43:20 pm by dh42 » Logged
Dman65
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 19:18:53 pm »

Thank you very much for that link. That makes a lot more sense to me now. I thought it was saying it would be able to mill out a square corner, but it is actually a V.

I guess I will just go to my backup plan of doing the basic milling with a quarter inch end mill and then finishing the corners with a 1/16 so the "dog bones" won't be as noticeable and there will be less space to require putty.
Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 19:35:56 pm »

It's an eye candy effect. Used for artistic engraving. As if the corner is cut with a hand chisel.
For joints there's no way to make an internal corner sharp as every mill always has a physical radius.
EddyCurrent
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 20:14:16 pm »

This might be of interest; http://www.tailmaker.net/home.html

Made in England
Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 22:14:38 pm »

Well, I can imagine how rounded fingers are made, pyramid joints too but dove tail with a V-bit only on flat stock is beyond my imagination Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: