CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 20, 2017, 05:40:29 am

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Idea for cleaning up really poor drawings  (Read 799 times)
Jeff_Birt
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« on: February 26, 2016, 16:39:08 pm »

I was working with a copy of out University Logo which was originally in AI or SVG format I think. Converting it to DXF resulted in a real mess, with many, many, many thousands of small line segments. This may have been the fault of how it was converted to DXF, I don't remember what program I used as it was a coupe of years ago. I was trying to clean it up today so it did not bog down CamBam so much. This seems to be a common issue; winding up with a DXF file that is really badly done.

I tried to do some Arc Fits on the poly lines and even explode each one and re-join which did not work well. Trying to do each one manually would have take all day. I wound up doing an engrave operation on the original DXF import and then did a 'Toolpath to Geometry' conversion which gave me a much cleaner set of polylines.

The next step was to do an 'Arc Fit' on the polylines. I used a 0.001" tolerance and went from 36,878 to 1,004 polylines!

I had not tried doing the 'Engrave' operation and then 'Toolpath to Geometry' before but that seems to have helped a lot. Just thought I would pass it on.
Bubba
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 16:47:22 pm »

It sound like you may stumbled on something. I got to keep this in mind the next time I run in to messy dxf file..
Thanks for sharing.
dh42
Administrator
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 16:53:41 pm »

Hello Jeff

Do you try the "remove overlaps" ?

Also, take a look at filecleaner plugin, maybe it can help
http://www.cambam.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4924.0

++
David
Jeff_Birt
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 20:26:02 pm »

David, this was a strange file. I tried 'Remove Overlaps' and would wind up with several sections repeated, sometimes I would try to join several line segments and it would appear to work, i.e. I got one polyline, but part of the resultant polyline that should have been there was missing.
dh42
Administrator
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 16:21:35 pm »

Hello

I tried 'Remove Overlaps' and would wind up with several sections repeated

Mostly I get the same pb with AI digitized files, I get as many overlaped splines that the number of colors in the picture used.

a topic about this here
http://www.cambam.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4935.0

++
David
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: