CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 18, 2014, 08:44:34 am

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: First CamBam test  (Read 12183 times)
Arie kabaalstra
Wookie

why buy one, if you can build one?

View Profile WWW
« on: July 15, 2007, 20:26:11 pm »

a Polyvinyl engraved businesscard..

First time i machined something with CamBam Generated G-Code.. took me less then 15 minutes to generate, including the text, which had to be postioned properly..
10bulls
Administrator
CNC Jedi

Coding Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 21:12:08 pm »

Nice one Arie!  Cool

I was about to hunt down a supplier of that plastic and do some business cards myself next week.
Does that have a laminated surface to engrave through?  I like the metal on black stuff.

If it is, try experimenting with the bitmap to heightmap generator and use a fine V engraving bit.
You only need < 0.4mm Z height differential, but make the Y step quite large (~0.7mm) so
they don't overlap.  This is how I did the 'killer robot' engraving.  I was planning on doing something like that on my cards.  They are quite cool to see in real life and play tricks with the light as you move them.  Can take a bit of playing around to get them just right though.

Text objects need a little work.  There are some bugs like 'Apply Transformations' doesn't seem to work for text and the the alignment options aren't too good.  Curve wrapping would be nice too.

Looking forward to more great stuff!  Grin
Arie kabaalstra
Wookie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 21:31:02 pm »

Looking forward to more great stuff!   Grin

Ok... Comin up!

just tried some pocket milling... and... to get smooth profiles, i made an offset first, then created a region from that..pocketed it out, and profiled the original contours..

it works just like the SL-Cycle on a Heidenhain control...a cycle that i used very often back in the days when i was a tool maker.. ( 3 months ago  Grin )
10bulls
Administrator
CNC Jedi

Coding Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 21:45:51 pm »

Looking forward to more great stuff!   Grin

Ok... Comin up!
Now you're just showing off!  Cheesy

I made region pockets require an additional profile to 'tidy up' the inner shapes intentionally.  This way you can just do the one profile at full depth to tidy rather than one per depth pass.  It seems this did not phase you (it does a lot of people), well done.  I may add an option in the pocket to do this automatically rather than having to add an extra profile mop.

I hope you didn't find the region pocket too slow.  If I do nothing else this week, I am going to improve the pocketing performance.
Arie kabaalstra
Wookie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 22:37:02 pm »

well, to be honest.. your region pocketing is a lot smarter then the heidenhain version ( i used a TNC 410 at work), the "Heidi 410" didn't machine in offset-cuts, resulting in a "meander-like" strategy, which takes a lot of time, and the machined surface doesn't look as good as with cambam

Profiling after pocketing, is indeed a good idea, this way, you're able to profile at a different depth increment which also saves a lot of time...

to make matters perfect, maybey you could squeeze in cutter radius compensation?.. G41/G42, this way, you can machine accurate, if you need to be within 0.01 mm ( which i'm used to ) , premachining, and then measuring, correct tool-wear, and re-machine.. since the profiling is programmed in G40, this trick won't work..  Undecided.

apart from this "glitch" no further comments..Smiley.. as i said before, pocket milling is very much similar to "heidi's" SL Cycle, the raduis compensation of each polyline ( sub-program ) determined the part to be machined.. RL( heidenhainese for G41 ) or RR ( G42 ) , along with the direction of the programmed closed polyline told the Control what to machine, and what not..

Showing of?.. not me.. wait till i found my drawings back...i want to make a model of a dutch locomotive, and as soon as y made DXF's of the frameparts.. then i start showing off..and.. i almost forgot.. a friend of mine wants an RC car chassis.. Smiley
Arie kabaalstra
Wookie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 12:12:53 pm »

for those who want a glance at the Beagle-1 VMC 2814 working.. machining of a lock for my motorcycle

and.. the machine itself.. steppers not yet fitted, as i just got the ball rails that day..

EL34
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 16:56:53 pm »

Love that machine of your Arie. That is a beautiful piece of machining.
Keep posting pics of that machine build, I love the way that thing looks so far.

Hey, can you post the Cambam.cb file for that pocket milling operation you described above when you get time?
Love to see the exact settings of what you are describing.
Thanks.

Mach 3, Cambam, Autodesk Quickcad 8, machine info -> http://www.el34world.com/Misc/Cnc/CNC0.htm
Arie kabaalstra
Wookie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 17:36:11 pm »

File is posted in the filesharing topic.. enjoy!
EL34
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2007, 20:26:46 pm »

Thanks, any more updated pics on your machine?

Mach 3, Cambam, Autodesk Quickcad 8, machine info -> http://www.el34world.com/Misc/Cnc/CNC0.htm
Arie kabaalstra
Wookie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2007, 20:40:04 pm »

nothing much to update now, since the machine is basically finished.. only limitswitches to fit, and a casing to make, but befor i do that, i must sell my lathe, 'cos there's not enough room left in my shed... Smiley ( i will byuy a smaller lathe though.. Smiley..
Arie kabaalstra
Wookie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2007, 20:15:09 pm »

Ok.. some more pokin' around with CamBam.. yesterday i decided that i wanted one of them Flashy keychains... with the logo of Italian Framebuilde Nino Verlicchi, so i looked up their website, picked a logo, traced it in Autocad, exported the DXF ( with some extra layers added for the tabs..)  and went into CamBam-bebop-alula to Generate G-code... took about 30 minutes to program ( joining polylines, making offsets, and programming pockets and profiles.. Uploaded the code to my Psion, hooked that up to the control PC downstairs in the shed.. and hey.. .look what i got 45 minutes later!..

still on the machine..

ready to be cut out...

Lookey!.. my very rare priceless one of a kind aluminium keychain!!
Arie kabaalstra
Wookie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2007, 20:43:47 pm »

Video!!!

Enjoy!... milling out the region with a 2 mm End mill..
10bulls
Administrator
CNC Jedi

Coding Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2007, 20:49:10 pm »

Lookey!.. my very rare priceless one of a kind aluminium keychain!!
Let me be the first to say.....WOW!  Shocked

I bet there's a few folk who would love to know how you did the tabs.
( Holding tabs planned for CamBam soon! Smiley )

Just watching the video now...
I've made a start on the current development version to improve that toolpath efficiency.

Excellent work Arie

Arie kabaalstra
Wookie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2007, 20:57:41 pm »

now.. who's a showoff?..  Grin

Tabs?... easy.. Autocad R14.. or any old autocad.. just drew a line and did an offset of tab width.. ( on another layer that is.. ) ..

maybe i'd better write a tutorial?.. auto-generated tabs can pop up on places you don't wan'em..

i traced the logo from an image, mirrored the outercontour around a line just beside the logo, offset that, drew in the tabs, put the lot on layer 1, mirrored it back into place, typed in DXFOUT, gave it a filename, and the rest is thanks to you, and your software..

toolpaths are logical to me, from the center outwards, providing a smooth finish on the outer contour, the inner contours had to be finish machined, but as a toolmaker i ALWAYS finish machine what i make.. so in Cambam, every polyline had an offset one on layer 2...
10bulls
Administrator
CNC Jedi

Coding Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2007, 21:11:00 pm »

toolpaths are logical to me, from the center outwards, providing a smooth finish on the outer contour, the inner contours had to be finish machined, but as a toolmaker i ALWAYS finish machine what i make.. so in Cambam, every polyline had an offset one on layer 2...
I don't know if this achieves the same thing, but in the pocket and profile mops there is the 'Stock' property.
This is simply the amount of stock to leave uncut.  If Stock is 0.2mm and your cutter is 2mm, the first toolpath closest to the geometry will
be generated at an offset of 1.2mm (toolsradius + stock).
If you turn ShowCutWidths true on, it's a bit clearer to see what I mean.

I still can't get over how fast you turned this out!  It would take me nearly that long just to figure out how to clamp my stock.  Cool
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: