CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 11, 2017, 16:33:56 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Importing DXF Overlays in STL files  (Read 2287 times)
Arie kabaalstra
CNC Jedi

why buy one, if you can build one?

View Profile WWW
« on: June 14, 2015, 17:30:59 pm »

Folks.. i'm running into a "challenge" here..
at the moment i'm working on a Titanium Watch Case.. due to be finished on 26-06-2015.. why?.. well.. because the brand owner has organised a launchparty that day..

Machiningwise this should pose no problem at all.. and programmingwise.. well i can handle the pressure.. not really a problem..

But!.. for this watchcase, most features can be programmed from the 2D DXF File, however.. there are some features that need to be programmed from an STL File because of the complex shapes of these features.. (double curved faces)

What i need to do is: machine only these faces.. not too hard, i just put a "Boundary box around it".. and here's my challenge.. Drawing that shape in CamBam is not an option, the topview contour is already to complicated, consisting of multple tangent arcs..
In my 2D Cad program (QCad professional)  drawing this boundary shape is easy, and done in a jiffy.. just select the offset drawing tool, offset the contour elements, Trim and join.. save as.. Done!..

In CamBam, i now load my 3D STL File, and in another CamBam Window, i open the 2D DXF File, select the boundary contours, make Polylines from them, and then copy those to my other window..

So far, this works quite alright.. the polyline-making in CamBam is great..if i could just save the DXF afterwards, and import it as an overlay in my other file.. that would be great.. or.. maybe this is also something others would like to have.. make CamBam a Multi-window program..

tau
Storm Trooper

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 19:59:42 pm »

Arie,

..if i could just save the DXF afterwards, and import it as an overlay in my other file.. that would be great.. or..

Isn't file merging of two *.cb files not an option?!
Arie kabaalstra
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 23:01:44 pm »

'dunno'.. Merging?.. anyway.. if i get you right.. i still have to make 2 CB files..

in my current project, i started with designing a Watchcase in Alibre Design, Export STL, and Export DXF in Top view..
Open DXF in QCad, Offset contours to be 3D milled, Close lines, save, open in CamBam, Select outlines, Copy, open STL in another window, Past 2D contours into STL, select part, make 3D operation, select Boundaries.. apply to OP, create toolpaths..
dh42
Administrator
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 23:23:32 pm »

Hello Arie

Not sure that I understand exactly what you expect, but if you open the DXF in CB first , then you can merge a STL object without losing your drawing by using the menu: Draw/Surface/From Mesh File ... or by using the toolbar  icon (the 3D cube)

++
David
Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

^ 8.5 pounds on my own hand poured bait.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 23:42:41 pm »

Not sure what you are having an issue with, but if you want to "import" the geometry from a DXF file into a project file you already have a lot of work done on you can open two instances of CamBam.  With both instances open just copy from one instance to the other those items you need.  

If you are trying to create some geometry you don't have from the STL you have the edge find and the silhouette functions.  Maybe something in here can help.  

http://youtu.be/gxdV0Sbt6zU

Getting started on CNC?  In or passing through my area?
If I have the time I'll be glad to show you a little in my shop. 

Some Stuff I Make with CamBam
http://www.CNCMOLDS.com
Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 08:52:54 am »

Ought to say I am not quite sure what Arie wants to do.
Seems like a normal approach with copy/paste into a separate layer.
As to saving the DXF - CB can export to DXF the newly converted polylines. I am using this quite often to have a DXF consisting of polylines, not splines.

Before asking a question do some effort and walk through all menus and options in CamBam.  Maybe the answer is there. Please.
Arie kabaalstra
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 00:10:52 am »

Hello Arie

Not sure that I understand exactly what you expect, but if you open the DXF in CB first , then you can merge a STL object without losing your drawing by using the menu: Draw/Surface/From Mesh File ... or by using the toolbar  icon (the 3D cube)

++
David

Indeed!.. that helps!..  Thanks!.. although i'd love to have an option to "import" extra DXF's as well.. sometimes i "build up" my CB Files.. and put everything i do to 1 part in 1 file, with the option to make multiple parts in a CB file, i now have CB Files with  multiple flat DXF Contours on different planes, as well as multiple 3D surfaces.

like so..  Grin
 Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: