CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2017, 06:01:24 am

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
  Print  
Author Topic: Watch!..  (Read 14647 times)
SteveT
Droid

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 01, 2017, 09:39:24 am »

I used the trochopock MOp on Titanium this time.. well.. it used to take up to 45 minutes to mill out a watchcas the "old fashioned" way.. with Trochoidal milling it took only 20 minutes, feed from 500 cranked up to 1200mm/min, surface speed from 60 to 90 m/min..

Man!.. that's an improvement..
I drew a small sidepocket to plunge the mill without cutting.. and from there it starts to move sideways into the material.. works like a charm!
Impressive work again Arie, well done :-)
Arie kabaalstra
Wookie

why buy one, if you can build one?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: April 02, 2017, 00:02:59 am »

Before i started milling the blank looked like a "Domed Disc", with the inside already turned.

When making a watchcase i start with a titanium ring, put it in a 3 Jaw chuck, clamped on the outside, then i machine the inside, the "Cavity" for the movement if you will, and the bottom, which is either a fillet or a chamfer, depending on the shape of the case, then, i turn the ring around, and clamp it on an expanding collet, to turn the outside and the front (seat for the crystal or for a bezel to be pressed in).. the lugs are mostly formed like a fillet, so a disc with a rounded edge is what i mostly need.

When the turning is done, the case is put on the same expanding Collet in the Milling machine, to mill the shape of the case, after which the 4th Axis is put on the mill to mill the lugholes for attaching the strap, and the holes for the stem, and in this case the pushers for day and date setting are milled or drilled.

Finally the case is put on an expanding collet, upside down to mill the threads for the caseback.
Arie kabaalstra
Wookie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: April 14, 2017, 17:44:09 pm »

No CamBam stuff.. but i'd like to share this with you Guys.

At the moment i'm working on a Titanium Case for a Movado Watchmovement with Calendar function.

I Put a piece of Brass rod in the Boley Lathe, and turned the outside to 2.52 mm, on the inside i drilled a hole of 1.6mm

I then Cut off 2 tubes, which were pressed into the case

Then, from a piece of titanium rod, i turned two pushers

Like so..  Cheesy.. the thin part is 1.6mm, fitting inside the brass tubes that i pressed in the case

the thick part is 2.2, and that part pushes against the levers in the movement, to set month and date.
i still need to make a grooving cutter, to make grooves for the O-rings to keep water out..

I also Turned a small recess in the pushers to prevent a pin sliding away when setting the watch..

And this is what i got now.. i am now turning the caseback and the bezel.. as soon as that is done, i can order the crystals, and finally put the watch together.. on its way to a happy client...
kvom
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 14, 2017, 18:21:02 pm »

Is it  that your customers choose/provide a movement and you make the case?
Arie kabaalstra
Wookie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: April 14, 2017, 22:05:09 pm »

Yes, my client had bought an old Movado movement, and he asked me to design and make a watchcase for it.. almost done.. i only have to mill the flutes in the bezel, thread the case and caseback, mill in some holes for the caseopener, press in crystals and assemble..
Arie kabaalstra
Wookie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: April 18, 2017, 23:31:45 pm »

yet another watch in the making.. introducing the instrument 3

Contours and pockets done with Trochoidal milling.. that really works like a charm!..
Arie kabaalstra
Wookie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: April 23, 2017, 12:51:05 pm »

CamBam Rocks!..
I just manually rotated the 4th Axis, and milled a pocket, in my Cad program i made a rotated projection of the solid model, so i could just mill a pocket.. the bottom of it had to be flat, and as smooth as possible..
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
  Print  

Jump to: