CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 13, 2017, 14:36:22 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13
  Print  
Author Topic: Watch!..  (Read 31162 times)
SteveT
Storm Trooper

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 01, 2017, 09:39:24 am »

I used the trochopock MOp on Titanium this time.. well.. it used to take up to 45 minutes to mill out a watchcas the "old fashioned" way.. with Trochoidal milling it took only 20 minutes, feed from 500 cranked up to 1200mm/min, surface speed from 60 to 90 m/min..

Man!.. that's an improvement..
I drew a small sidepocket to plunge the mill without cutting.. and from there it starts to move sideways into the material.. works like a charm!
Impressive work again Arie, well done :-)
Arie kabaalstra
CNC Jedi

why buy one, if you can build one?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: April 02, 2017, 00:02:59 am »

Before i started milling the blank looked like a "Domed Disc", with the inside already turned.

When making a watchcase i start with a titanium ring, put it in a 3 Jaw chuck, clamped on the outside, then i machine the inside, the "Cavity" for the movement if you will, and the bottom, which is either a fillet or a chamfer, depending on the shape of the case, then, i turn the ring around, and clamp it on an expanding collet, to turn the outside and the front (seat for the crystal or for a bezel to be pressed in).. the lugs are mostly formed like a fillet, so a disc with a rounded edge is what i mostly need.

When the turning is done, the case is put on the same expanding Collet in the Milling machine, to mill the shape of the case, after which the 4th Axis is put on the mill to mill the lugholes for attaching the strap, and the holes for the stem, and in this case the pushers for day and date setting are milled or drilled.

Finally the case is put on an expanding collet, upside down to mill the threads for the caseback.
Arie kabaalstra
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: April 14, 2017, 17:44:09 pm »

No CamBam stuff.. but i'd like to share this with you Guys.

At the moment i'm working on a Titanium Case for a Movado Watchmovement with Calendar function.

I Put a piece of Brass rod in the Boley Lathe, and turned the outside to 2.52 mm, on the inside i drilled a hole of 1.6mm

I then Cut off 2 tubes, which were pressed into the case

Then, from a piece of titanium rod, i turned two pushers

Like so..  Cheesy.. the thin part is 1.6mm, fitting inside the brass tubes that i pressed in the case

the thick part is 2.2, and that part pushes against the levers in the movement, to set month and date.
i still need to make a grooving cutter, to make grooves for the O-rings to keep water out..

I also Turned a small recess in the pushers to prevent a pin sliding away when setting the watch..

And this is what i got now.. i am now turning the caseback and the bezel.. as soon as that is done, i can order the crystals, and finally put the watch together.. on its way to a happy client...
kvom
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 14, 2017, 18:21:02 pm »

Is it  that your customers choose/provide a movement and you make the case?
Arie kabaalstra
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: April 14, 2017, 22:05:09 pm »

Yes, my client had bought an old Movado movement, and he asked me to design and make a watchcase for it.. almost done.. i only have to mill the flutes in the bezel, thread the case and caseback, mill in some holes for the caseopener, press in crystals and assemble..
Arie kabaalstra
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: April 18, 2017, 23:31:45 pm »

yet another watch in the making.. introducing the instrument 3

Contours and pockets done with Trochoidal milling.. that really works like a charm!..
Arie kabaalstra
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: April 23, 2017, 12:51:05 pm »

CamBam Rocks!..
I just manually rotated the 4th Axis, and milled a pocket, in my Cad program i made a rotated projection of the solid model, so i could just mill a pocket.. the bottom of it had to be flat, and as smooth as possible..
Arie kabaalstra
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: May 05, 2017, 12:42:04 pm »

Yesterday was a productive day.. i made 24 parts...

and here they are...  Grin

now for polishing them all to a bright shine!
stevehuckss396
Wookie

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 06, 2017, 02:13:27 am »

Not sure what they are but im guessing we will find out soon.
Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 06, 2017, 10:35:14 am »

Arie, you must have used at least a magnifying glass, if not something more special, while making those Smiley

Before asking a question do some effort and walk through all menus and options in CamBam.  Maybe the answer is there. Please.
Arie kabaalstra
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: May 06, 2017, 12:41:58 pm »

These "blocks" are Indexes, the markers on a watchdial, 2 sizes : Big (2x3 mm) and small(1.5x3 mm) total height 0.85 mm Smiley

the pins are 0.5x0.4mm

Magnifying glass?.. Nehh.. not really.. i took a piece of titanium sheet of 1mm thickness, milled out the contours, left the parts hanging on 1 tab.. when milling in 0.1 mm vertical increments.. a tab of 0.2mm is strong enough to hold them in place..

then.. i set up a small machinevice, clamped the parts on the pins, and milled 0.2mm off the top, and finally a "slot" in the top, 1mm wide and 0.2mm deep in the small ones and 1.5mm wide in the big ones..
Bubba
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 06, 2017, 13:44:13 pm »

Arie, I don't envy you... I hate small parts. Wink Cheesy Grin Cheesy 

My 2
Arie kabaalstra
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: May 06, 2017, 21:18:23 pm »

i already polished them.. but, given the small size, it is near impossible to take a picture of it that does the polishing any justice..

i don't care about the size of any part, as long as i have the appropriate tool to manufacture it.. Grin
dwc
Wookie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: May 06, 2017, 22:00:19 pm »

Obviously not  watchmaker !!  Polishing small parts is bread and butter.
For me M2 is a monster screw.  I'm not sure where on could really use it.
I always find it funny that my mechanical engineer collegues don't seem to think that screws smaller than M4 really exist.
(I have to admit that the first time I made a M2 screw I thought it was just about impossible small.  In the meantime I avoid smaller than S0.5.  Unfortunately in watchmaking there are many shoulder screws and such special parts so one is forced to make them if one is not up for the 1000 piece minimum order.)

Don

Bubba
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 07, 2017, 02:44:05 am »

Obviously not  watchmaker !!
..and, don't care anything about it!!

My 2
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13
  Print  

Jump to: