CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 20, 2017, 11:30:10 am

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fillet-Chamfer plugin  (Read 9150 times)
Arie kabaalstra
CNC Jedi

why buy one, if you can build one?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2017, 12:48:02 pm »

Great plunging, but i "discovered" a "hiccup".. if you draw a rectangle, the plugin doesn't recognize it as a polyline.. i have to explode it and then put it together again by making the lines polylines again, and then join them..
Bubba
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2017, 13:23:02 pm »

Great plunging, but i "discovered" a "hiccup".. if you draw a rectangle, the plugin doesn't recognize it as a polyline.. i have to explode it and then put it together again by making the lines polylines again, and then join them..

Arie, this plugin always worked with polylines only.. Wink
lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2017, 16:35:06 pm »

And to be clear, a CB rectangle is NOT a polyline.

There's a reason for that.  Were it a polyline, it could not be easily re-sized simply by grabbing a corner, and dragging.  It's a convenience.

And, Arie, you're making it WAY too complicated!  Just select a rectangle, then do Edit/Convert-to/Polyline.

If you select everything on the drawing, it will only convert those things that can be 'converted', and leave the rest alone.

LLoyd

"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"
Arie kabaalstra
CNC Jedi

why buy one, if you can build one?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2017, 16:42:33 pm »

erhm... i might be a pain in the rear end here.. but.. when i draw a rectangle in CB, it displays on the drawing layer as a polyrectangle, and it behaves as a polyline..

If it smells like fish, and it tastes like fish, it probably is fish.. "cappiche"  Grin
EddyCurrent
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2017, 17:01:05 pm »

If it smells like fish, and it tastes like fish, it probably is fish.. "cappiche"  Grin

If CamBam 'Entities' are fish, there are different types of fish, and hence a Rectangle(or Polyrectangle) is not a Polyline  
http://www.cambam.info/doc/plus/cad/Entities.htm
dh42
Administrator
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2017, 23:51:51 pm »

Hello Ari

Just do a CTRL + P to convert any 2D shape to polyline.

Polyrectangles can be rounded in there property grid (for the 4 corners at a time)

++
David
lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2017, 00:50:28 am »

"...it displays on the drawing layer as a polyrectangle, and it behaves as a polyline..."
----------------

Arie, it neither professes to be, nor 'behaves' as a polyline.  If you selected any 'corner' of a polyline object and dragged it, what do you expect you'd see?  (I'll tell you what... you'd 'distort' the polyline object.)

When you 'drag' on a corner of a polyrectangle, it maintains its orientation and only changes ratios.  It DOESN'T 'drag skew', as would a polyline object. 

It's there for a purpose!  And it takes virtually nothing in the way of effort to convert it to a polyline when you wish to have it in that form.

Lloyd

"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"
sibianul
Storm Trooper

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2017, 19:56:53 pm »

I use this plugin a lot when the clients makes the drawing I need to mill, with the internal corners already rounded, so the endmill will cut the corners (something like the Corner overcut feature of cambam, which is also great) but the client doesn't calculate to well as the endmill can't reach that round corner ... a picture explains much better what I want to say... my english is not that good Smiley

The client knows I mill with a 6mm endmill, I told them multiple times if they want me to automatically overcut the corner , just leave the corner sharp .. but they always forget. So to make that corner reachable by the 6mm end mill, I use this plugin, the only request I have, or suggestion, I don;t know how hard is to be implemented, is to eliminate the first step, selecting the polyline. Can't this be done automatically, when clicking a corner, the script can't find out what polyline was clicked, and use that ID ? Today I forgot to do those corners, and I already multiply the parts, to cut them 3 times, now I have to do the corners on each part, if the plugin alone could find out what polyline I clicked, the job will be done much faster, as now I have to close the plugin, select the next polyline, than go to plugins menu and open the plugin again Smiley When having many corners to do it takes some time.

Anyway, awesome plugin!

* cambam_corner.jpg (43.26 KB, 950x592 - viewed 36 times.)
dh42
Administrator
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2017, 20:29:00 pm »

Hello

Maybe I can add that in a future release ; added to the todo list Wink

++
David
sibianul
Storm Trooper

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2017, 20:51:06 pm »

Thank you very much Cheesy

Really appreciating your effort!
dave benson
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2017, 02:01:36 am »

HI David
I had a little time on my hands waiting for the leadscrew for my lathe, and so I thought I would finish up the break edges plugin.

And in doing so I working through the math and figuring out the best method to simulate with camotics (getting the stock property correct and modifying tool dia property for camotics).

So what I did was draw a square 20 mm X 20 mm and then used the Fillet/chamfer plugin to create a fillet. (after turning it into a polyline), and wanted a 1 mm fillet on the corner of my square.

What I thought would happen was a 1 mm length face fillet. But what I got was a 1.414 mm length (the length of the Hypotenuse of the triangle)
Is this what you intended.
Dave

* Fillet 1mm required Capture.PNG (62.64 KB, 1097x447 - viewed 25 times.)

* I was expecting a 1mm fillet face width Capture.PNG (58.59 KB, 913x414 - viewed 27 times.)
dh42
Administrator
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2017, 04:38:33 am »

Hello Dave

Is this what you intended.

Yes, it's the same 'rules' as in Autocad or Solidworks, so the size of the chamfer is the distance between the corner and the point where the slope begin, as on the picture of a 1mm chamfer.

From the point of view of programing, it was not planned to have a chamfer option Smiley, and in fact it's exactly the same routine that for radius, but if 'chamfer' is selected, after the radius is done, I just sets the 'bulge' value of the arc to 0 ... and I get a chamfer in place of the radius, for free ! Shocked  Grin

++
David

* Sans titre-1.png (6.02 KB, 716x604 - viewed 28 times.)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 04:41:34 am by dh42 » Logged
dave benson
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2017, 08:05:46 am »

HI David
Thanks for the explanation.
 I just sets the 'bulge' value of the arc to 0 ... and I get a chamfer in place of the radius, for free !
Yes we call that serendipity! Ha ha

There's no good reason that I used the Face width rather than the fillet length, other than I find it easier to visualise the operation that way.

The plugin is doing what I wanted, so it'll be easy to change things now.

I'll start a thread in the scripts and plugin's help section and ask a few more questions there before I publish it.

Dave
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: