CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 12, 2019, 19:33:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: [17] Memory Limit Fix for W7 --posted by cb750r [workaround]  (Read 18273 times)
lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« on: January 25, 2015, 03:29:37 am »

I've copied this here from another section of the forum:

From cb750r
---------------
Hey guys, I'm an extremely new user to Cambam, but I had a problem where profiling a 3d part Cambam had a warning that I exceeded memory limits.

I have a pretty solid computer, its a core i7 with 12GB of ram and dual SSD's and Dual hardrives, running both a Windows and Apple setup... needless to say I HAVE enough power!

The problem is that CB is a 32bit application, so Windows7 caps these apps at around 2Gb of RAM, so there's a patch I found here: http://ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php and a read up I found here:  http://www.maketecheasier.com/increase-memory-limit-for-32-bit-applications-in-windows-64-bit-os/

Gave it a test run and now I can let CAMBAM think much longer without hitting a wall!

If this is old news, I apologize, if not enjoy!

« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 23:34:24 pm by dh42 » Logged

"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"
Bubba
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 20:11:46 pm »

Awesome find Lloyd!

I'm working on file that is fairly large and complex, it contains two stl models and while trying to generated gcode CamBam complain and keep throwing a memory related error messages. I'm using Dell 64 bit win 10 OS with 12Gb memory.. After searching here I found this post by Lloyd while back. Downloaded and run this patch and it is working well. After this running this little jewel and not messing at all with the MOP's setting CB worked like expected. Thanks again Lloyd for sharing this.

At this time I would suggest for the Administrators to create a space "Sticky", so info like this can be posted, because over the time it will be buried and it is really needed Wink   

My 2¢
dh42
Administrator
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 20:55:12 pm »

hello

At this time I would suggest for the Administrators to create a space "Sticky", so info like this can be posted, because over the time it will be buried and it is really needed Wink   

Added in How to's and tutorials (sticky)

++
David
Bubba
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 21:02:39 pm »

Thanks David. Grin

My 2¢
lockie
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 01:38:32 am »

Where do I install this patch in cam bam??? I am pretty much computer illiterate, sorry. I am trying to work on a small 3d file and I run out of memory in about 3 minutes.     Thanks Al
lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 01:43:28 am »

Lockie,
It's NOT a patch to CamBam, it's a patch to Windows 7, as described in the 'how-to' here:
http://www.maketecheasier.com/increase-memory-limit-for-32-bit-applications-in-windows-64-bit-os/

The patch itself is here:
http://ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

LLoyd

lockie
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2016, 02:38:58 am »

Lloyd even after reading and re reading that I still do not know what to do with the extracted files as nothing happens when I extract. Computer illiterate as I said could you please guide me.
Bubba
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2016, 03:13:01 am »

Lockie,

In the website where Lloyd give address to, click on "Download the 4GB Patch" then unzip the downloaded file and run it.. Hope this helps you.

My 2¢
dh42
Administrator
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2016, 16:33:49 pm »

Hello,

unzip the downloaded file and run it

Not only "run it", you need to select the software to patch, in this case after you've run the tool, you must select the cambam.exe file that is in the cambam installation folder (and of course, it works ONLY on 64 bits systems)

To gain these 2GB, you just have to use this tool to patch the executable (*.exe file) of the software you want to have these additional GBs of virtual memory. It can be used by clicking on it and choosing the file

http://www.atelier-des-fougeres.fr/Cambam/Aide_V1/tutorials/patch4GB_Cambam.mp4

++
David
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 20:49:24 pm by dh42 » Logged
lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2016, 18:01:28 pm »

Still, David, although you 'assign' the patch to a particular .exe file, it's patching the Windows memory-allocation calls, not the way the application itself works.

Lloyd

dh42
Administrator
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2016, 18:07:49 pm »

Ok, that means that if we update or reinstall CB, it's not necessary to patch again ? the setting remain in Windows ?

++
David
lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2016, 19:52:17 pm »

I'm not certain about that, David.  I think so.

But the patch may modify the file --  I think it only modifies the 'run time settings' for the file.

But even if that is the case, it may modify the settings only for a specific INSTANCE of the file.

In which case, you would have to re-run the patch every time you upgraded.

Lloyd

lockie
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2016, 20:17:39 pm »

Thanks for the input It will not work on my 32 bit win 7 operating system. So I guess I am just unable to work with any 3d files other than very small ones as it will not work with cambam on my 32 bit operating system?Huh
lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2016, 20:26:40 pm »

Lockie,
It was emphasized earlier that the specific patch works only on Win7 64-bit systems.

I'll try to, also, but you should look for a similar patch for 32-bit systems.

Lloyd

Bubba
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2016, 21:04:29 pm »

Where do I install this patch in cam bam??? I am pretty much computer illiterate, sorry. I am trying to work on a small 3d file and I run out of memory in about 3 minutes.     Thanks Al

How much memory do you have? I meant computer memory.. Grin

My 2¢
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: