CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 04, 2020, 00:01:30 am

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Digitizer Import plugin  (Read 44614 times)
dh42
Administrator
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2014, 17:21:37 pm »

Hello,

Not yet tested but the French user say me that the stl file produced by the latest version is now OK with Aspire.

I had  (perhaps) naively assumed that the STL file format could contain European formats

No, and it's the same thing for Gcode, dot is also used for decimal separator even in Europe.

No problem if the translation apply only to the plugin. But Geoff uses the variables from the Cambam translation and I don´t change the cambam translation for a plugin.

There is certainly a way to create a translation key that is not the displayed text itself ; Andy do it for some texts:

ex:  the keys Enabled.info:xxxxx in the translation list that have a different key for each type of mop, or the key EDIT_RECT_1 to display another text (even in English)

Currently, I have not found how Andy do that, but I thing that if it's possible, it will be fine to create keys that are dedicated to the each plugin texts ....  

The suggestion to use "RightCenter" alignment did not work, obviously - I have missed something here - suggestions appreciated.

I think it have to do with the autosize property of the Label container.

if autosize is 'true' the container has the same size of the text, and the container itself is aligned to left. In this case the TextAlign as no effect because the text fit exactly the container.

if autosize is false, the container keep the size that you define by mouse or in the data grid when you create the label object, and in this case the textalign property do it's job if the container is large enough for the text to display.

++
David
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 17:33:10 pm by dh42 » Logged
dh42
Administrator
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2014, 18:52:32 pm »

Re,

2 texts remain untranslatable:

- the Cancel button
- the new warning "Cambam model not saved"

Ps: the cancel button don't cancel the validation process.

++
David
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 18:56:59 pm by dh42 » Logged
GeoffreyGRoy
Storm Trooper

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2014, 02:42:04 am »

Dear Ralf

The logic is like this:

(1) if <Validate> is checked: the data is checked when <Run> it is clicked; if there are "errors" found then a dialog is displayed with an option  to save the error log file.  On <Close> the run process is terminated.

(2) If there are no errors then the triangulation process proceeds immediately, no dialog is shown.  I assume it is OK to proceed.

(3) if <Validate> is not checked, then no check occurs and the triangulation step begins.  If this seems to go on "forever" then it is likely that there are problems with the data and it can be terminated from <Cancel>. 

Some bad data may still not be a problem and a good result may still be produced (as far as I can tell).

As I learn more about how it all works with real data examples it may be I can refine the validation process to be more definitive.

@david the next release will allow cancelling the validation step.

thanks

Geoff
lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2014, 11:35:43 am »

Geoff,
You may want to make it optional to proceed with the conversion after validation.  I can envision someone "checking their work", without the intent to actually convert (now), or just verifying the quality of some downloads, but not wanting to use them today.  Anything to save some time later on...

Lloyd

"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"
GeoffreyGRoy
Storm Trooper

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2014, 01:30:23 am »

Dear Lloyd

Thanks for the suggestion, it will be in next release.  I will wait for a few days to see if any more ideas come through before posting next version

Geoff
dh42
Administrator
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2014, 02:25:52 am »

Hello,

I will wait for a few days to see if any more ideas come through before posting next version

Yes but maybe not just a small addendum ..... Mach3 can also scan with a rotational axis  Grin Grin

the output format is:

x0.00000 y0.00000 z0.00000  a0.00000

need that this 2 boxes are checked (if add axis letter is not checked, only 3 coord are sorted ..)

++
David
GeoffreyGRoy
Storm Trooper

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2014, 09:26:56 am »

Dear David

You will need to explain to me what a 4D point cloud means!  My plugin only really works in 2.5D, i.e not full 3D. 

I can imagine  a 4th (rotational)  A axis, that together with a X (or Y) and Z axis can define a surface wrapped around a cylindrical shape.  In such a case we still effectively have 3 axes and we could create a surface model in terms of the X, A and Z dimensions with the Z dimensions being the 0.5D (so to speak).  Beyond this I am not sure how to interpret the 4th axis.

What would your interpretation be?

Geoff
dh42
Administrator
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2014, 14:33:26 pm »

Hello,

Yes your interpretation match.

depending of the orientation of the 4th axis, X or Y is always 0 (centered on the rotation axis)

the XZ or YZ coordinates describe a profile along the rotation axis and the Z = 0 must be at the rotation center.

When scanning, we scan a line along the axis, then we rotate A , re scan a line along the axis and so on..

It's like a series of parallel toolpath wrapped around a cylinder.

Unfortunately, I've no txt test file with 4th axis ..

++
David
joel.r1
Droid

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2014, 15:53:52 pm »

Hi,
Here is an example of a bolt head scan - quick and durty - just for example.
Please note either X or Y stays to 0.00 depending on which axis 4th device is aligned.

Would it be possible to add for the Zmin and Zmax the X,Y location like, for example :
  Zmin = -0.27139 @ X= 5.000 and Y= 8.1234 /   Zmax = 1.23456 @ X= 8.987 and Y= 2.3456

Cheers. Joel

* bolt head - 4 axes.txt (10.12 KB - downloaded 205 times.)
dh42
Administrator
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2014, 21:08:03 pm »

Hello Joel,

Yes but problem with your Z coordinates that has not been set to 0 = axis of rotation.

++
David
GeoffreyGRoy
Storm Trooper

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2014, 01:19:54 am »

Dear Joel

One thing I note from your file is the inclusion of axes labels on each line (eg. "xnnnnn.n ynnnnn.n znnnnn.n annnn.n").  I assume this is Mach3 characteristic, or does it also appear from other digitizing systems?  I can allow for these labels from my input file and also, I assume is appropriate, to allow for the order of the coordinate axes to change if the labels are included.

To create a triangulated surface  from your data I assume we would need to take the "x" , "z" and "a" coordinates so that "x" maps to X, "a" maps to Y and "z" to Z (my 3-D axes).  So Z remains the "depth of cut" and hence the 0.5D (in my model).  Does this make sense?

Geoff
joel.r1
Droid

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2014, 10:32:27 am »

Yes but problem with your Z coordinates that has not been set to 0 = axis of rotation.
Correct, the zero is done on the flat part of the nut. It does mean the Z is offseted by 1/2 nut diameter.

One thing I note from your file is the inclusion of axes labels on each line (eg. "xnnnnn.n ynnnnn.n znnnnn.n annnn.n").  I assume this is Mach3 characteristic
Yes, the letter is added when you select 'Add Axis Letter to Coordinate' as shown in DH42's response #35 above. Adding the label is definitely not critical.

To create a triangulated surface  from your data I assume we would need to take the "x" , "z" and "a" coordinates so that "x" maps to X, "a" maps to Y and "z" to Z (my 3-D axes).
"X" should map to X, but "Z" and "A" had to be combined through trigonometry to map to Y and Z in space.
In the example, the final matrix should be 7 points on X, 37 points on Y (where 1st and 37th overlap as 0° = 360°) and 259 points in Z. All wrapped arround the A axis center to make it 3D.

I must admit I have some difficulties to conceive it in my mind, so would imagine this will not be easy to have it converted.

Cheers. Joel
GeoffreyGRoy
Storm Trooper

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2014, 11:02:29 am »

Dear Joel & David

I have just come across the CNCWrapper package which seems, at face value, to do what is required.  It seems to be able to wrap an X.Y surface around a cylinder with the Z then being the depth of cut.

If this is the case then I can take your Bolthead data and create a surface in X,Y,Z with x -> X, a -> Y and z -> Z.  The Y axis is now in the range 0 to 360, and in this case it I can see your "Bolthead surface" (after correcting the first few rows of data that have invalid spaces) . See attached image. I have scaled the Y-axis from 0-360 to 0-36.  I can image that this might wrap to a hexagonal head nut.

The question now remains can we produced the cut paths in CamBam from this surface, then let CNCWrapper take these, wrap them  around a cylinder to create the multi-axes G-code -- David?

Geoff

* BoltHead.jpg (55.96 KB, 796x614 - viewed 286 times.)
dh42
Administrator
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2014, 13:34:26 pm »

Hello,

The question now remains can we produced the cut paths in CamBam from this surface, then let CNCWrapper take these, wrap them  around a cylinder to create the multi-axes G-code -- David?

Yes I think it's possible (good idea) ... and maybe the only way to machine this kind of part until CB include 4th axis function.

++
David
GeoffreyGRoy
Storm Trooper

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2014, 23:34:22 pm »

Dear Joel

I am attaching an image from Mach3 showing the cut paths generated:
(1) from your bolt head data
(2) after mapping x -> X, a -> Y and z-Z in my plugin
(3) generate surface MOP in CamBam & G-Code (as shown previously)
(4) Use CNSwrapper to wrap this surface around a cylinder

Does the result make sense to you?

I am not sure about the "sloping" rather than radial cut paths, and I am not sure what the original object really looks like. And, I am also not sure I have the configuration right in Mach3 to correctly view the cut paths.

I am also attaching the nc file if you, or anyone else,  can check it out.

thanks

Geoff

* bolt head - 4 axesCorrected - WRAPPED.Part1 [3DSurface1].nc (140.82 KB - downloaded 164 times.)

* BoltHeadNC.jpg (142.21 KB, 763x599 - viewed 321 times.)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  

Jump to: