CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 30, 2020, 13:45:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: cutviewer  (Read 19105 times)
Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

^ 8.5 pounds on my own hand poured bait.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2014, 16:45:28 pm »

hello

There is a new release of OpenSCAM
Thank you to point this. This is the first working free simulation for Mac OSX. This makes the work a bit faster.
I try it a bit today but weather is to nice to work inside. So I will test it this evening.
@Lloyd:
If I do define the tools properly, it takes longer to render (at medium-low resolution) than it does to run the job!
The first job I imported in openscam is a 3D work with roughing and finishing. The nc file is 16.6Mb.
The real milling time of this job is about 25 hours and the toolpath lenght is 1212321.61.
In the file I worke with a 6mm Endmill, a 3mm endmill and a 3mm ballnose. After creating this tools in openscam the rerender of the toolpath and the workpiece needs 28 seconds.
With the setting of the resolution to "high" it needs 96 seconds
With the setting of the resolution to "very high" it needs 155 seconds.
Very helpfull is that the speed of the simulation can be set to 65536x original time
Now after playing a bit openscam don´t rerun the simulation and don´t rebuild the cutted part.
It looks that I found the limits  Grin
Now I saved the file in openscam and reopen it and it works again.

ralf

There is a little circular arrow icon below the render screen that will cause it to re-render the job.  It is not high contrast and its hard to see.  I didn't notice it at all for a while.  I think it should be in the top tools, but to each author their own style I guess. 

Getting started on CNC?  In or passing through my area?
If I have the time I'll be glad to show you a little in my shop. 

Some Stuff I Make with CamBam
http://www.CNCMOLDS.com
lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2014, 17:27:45 pm »

I've kept fooling with it to see where it's going.  It has a couple of 'quirks' (maybe bugs) that make some things not work in all resolutions.

I was dropping the resolution slowly, trying to see what would render in a reasonable time, and still produce a useful image.  (BTW... nothing ever made it render quickly enough to be useful with the ball-nose tool defined).

Anyway -- I reached a resolution where it would render fairly quickly for my job (in under ten minutes), but when it did, the smoothed solid really didn't look much like the real profile.  Then I dropped the resolution just one more notch, and it skipped about 1/4 of the holes in the project.  Different resolutions at and around that point would cause variable results -- some skipping only a hole or two, some missing nearly half of them.

At HIGH resolution, his solids look a lot better than CutViewer's, so I hope he continues to build this product and to optimize it.  But right now, it just doesn't do what I need in the shop.  I think he's going to need to completely re-vamp some of the algorithms to make it useful.

Another thing that needs attention is his reporting of problems with the gcode.  Initially, I used my Centroid code just to test it.  I already knew it was expecting EMC2.   It just wouldn't produce any output.  It didn't say why; didn't say _anything_.  It just didn't Do anything.  When I switched to EMC2 codes, it started to work; natch.

Lloyd

"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"
Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2014, 16:03:49 pm »

It seemed to work with Mach 3 codes as well.  I only had long render times on the higher resolutions, and I did a test job with a variety of cutters.  I didn't run any really big jobs with it though.  I'll post some screen shots later if I have time.  The computer I am using for it is a dual core 32bit XP box w/ 4Gb of memory and a dual head Radeon video card.  (I added the Radeon card)  While it was pretty hot for its day, I bought it as a factory refurb from Tiger Direct several years ago.  In fact I used it as a generic machine controller until my accounting computer started to go bad. My test code was about 4000 or 5000 lines. 

It doesn't like face mills either.  0.78"~ apx I think is the largest cutter size its currently setup to support. 

I always thought it had great potential.  I am just glad the author is still working on it. 

pixelmaker
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2014, 20:27:46 pm »

0.78"~ apx I think is the largest cutter size
I try a 100mm (3.93") cutter as a cylinder cutter and it works.

I have no problems with the rendering time if I can work with native mac OSX software. This takes advantage of the power of my machine.
In contrary to CutViewer (under windows in parallels desktop) you can extremely speed up the rendering time. For a tested file with 600000 lines of g code cutviewer needs a half hour, Openscam with the high resolution only some minutes.
But for the analysis of NC programs lack important functions.
• I can´t see the nc code.
• I can´t see the result of different tools, can´t switch one of. With the different colors in CV I can see wrong toolpath/ wrong values but not with the summary representation.
• the chronology of the used tools is important in a analysis.

Nice to see, but the toolpath viewer in cambam is more helpfull. My favorite software for toolpath analysis is the NC Corrector.

ralf
Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2014, 20:32:16 pm »

NC Corrector v4.0, a free (except the Russian Federation) editor visualizer programs for CNC milling machines (G-code).

LOL

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: