CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 27, 2020, 14:04:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: cutviewer  (Read 18911 times)
coolant slinger
Wookie

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2014, 18:57:38 pm »

Guys,
I'd love to hear more flight stories, but back to Cutviewer. Now that you mention it I have had instances where the measurement tool was giving me a false measururement when I zoom in and out alot. It seemed to measre correctly only after I resimulated it. I think the zooming in and out confuses it. I have had it to lock up at times, But not very often. I would say I am generally pleased. Has anyone else had the measurments to be off after zooming?

Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

^ 8.5 pounds on my own hand poured bait.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2014, 01:18:48 am »

I never really used the measuring tool.  I tried simulation of simple parts, and complex parts.  Simple stuff looked ok.  Complex 3D stuff locked it up every time, and in many cases showed visual defects that were not actually in the cut part.  I tested it with proven designs that cut properly.  I even posted some screenshots here on the CB forum. 

My trial period has expired now, and I will not pay to experiment further.  If it worked for me I would, but it didn't. 

Getting started on CNC?  In or passing through my area?
If I have the time I'll be glad to show you a little in my shop. 

Some Stuff I Make with CamBam
http://www.CNCMOLDS.com
lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2014, 01:22:55 am »

I guess I have to differ with the consensus here.  I will agree that CV is full of bugs, inadequacies, and oddities.  But it works better than anything else in its price range.

I use it almost daily, and use the measurement tools a lot.  And zoom.  I've never had a problem with them, except that there are important measuring tools MISSING I'd love to have.

When I asked for help from them, the dealer was useless, but the author jumped in quickly and resolved my problems.

For me, it was definitely worth the price.  It's saved me a lot of crashed tools and fubar'd work pieces.

Lloyd

"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"
kjlpdx
Storm Trooper

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2014, 18:11:26 pm »

before I got into this cnc stuff I used to love to go to van's aircraft and watch their machine punch out sheet metal parts.  it has an auto stock feed and moves the table around as it punches up 4x8' sheets of AL.  I believe they are now also pre-dimpling too.
my plane is old enough that I had to drill all the rivet holes and dimple.  my wings took a year a year to build and required a jig.  my second plane was pre-punched.  no jig needed, wings took 1 month.  it was unbelievable how accurate the holes were.  pop in one clecoe and a dozen holes would line up, a long ways from drilling a hole and praying that you hit the center of the rib flange.
Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2014, 18:22:29 pm »

Well, for a crude modeling tool I am currently using free CNC Simulator Pro (suggested by Bubba), and I am considering buying a license for it.  After I upgrade my CAD/CAM computer and get everything transferred over I'll see how it performs.  I have already found some tricks for making it run faster and improving resolution.  I don't know if it has any measuring tools since I haven't looked.  It does not provide as a sharp of a model as CutViewer, but its easier to use (IMO) and it hasn't crashed or locked up on anything I have tried so far. 

Its time for me to start building some tool libraries now for consistency between programs. 

atwooddon
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2014, 18:57:24 pm »

Bob,

I am also using CNC Simulator Pro (free version) and it works pretty well.  I also need to setup my tool libraries so they match CNC Simulator and I don't have to set up a tool each time.  Not a CNC Simulator problem, just my laziness.   I don't care for the CNC Simulator business model but that is a minor nit.  I have tried a few other simulators including Cutviewer and for my needs CNC Simulator works fine.

Don
nifty1a
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2014, 12:46:06 pm »

I'm a new CAMBAM user, but have got it up and running relatively quickly and been cutting MDF and acrylic 2.5D stuff quite nicely.

I was looking around t'interweb for Gcode simulators as alternatives to Cutviewer (free preferably :-) ),

and found OpenSCAM http://openscam.com/wiki, and was wondering if anyone else on here had any recent experience of it? (I found mention of it on here from Jan and July last year but nothing more recent).

Is it worth spending time getting up to speed with it?

Just wondering....
Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2014, 15:20:52 pm »

I tried OpenSCAM.  It does a fair job of modeling the cut, but its very unstable and some of the coolest features were never finished.  I don't know this for a fact, but I got the impression that no development has been done on it for a long time either.  It took me a little while to wade through and figure out how to get it to work, but it wasn't a days long task or anything like that.  Maybe an hour or so. If it was ever finished and cleaned up I would certainly try it again. 

PetefromTn
Storm Trooper

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2014, 17:39:07 pm »

Just now working with CamBam and trying to decide if I will purchase it (probably so far it looks like a great value) and have been doing a lot of simulation work to determine if the code generated is good and also to check my own toolpaths for mistakes in my setup in CamBam.  I started by downloading the CNCsimulator PRo free version and at first could not get it to do anything so did some searching here and found Cutviewer.  Downloaded it and tried it.  Initially I was impressed with Cutviewer but once I learned how to properly setup CNCsimpro it is a much nicer program IMHO>  The only thing that is annoying is their occasional ten second advert you gotta wait thru but if it continues to impress my I may purchase it.  I will say that it does everything I have asked it to do. Only found one issue that may be something I messed up but when I did a G83 code as posted by CamBam it had five holes but the simulation only drilled one hole five times.  I have since modded the post to make the G83 modal but I have not checked to see if that fixed anything.  Either way CNCsimpro is pretty sweet and it is actually quite nice to see the whole machine simulated. Have not tried to sim a vise or anything not sure if you can but just simulating the workpiece and toolpaths and seeing the cutter and shaft sizes is pretty valuable.  Once I learned how to work with it I can post the code to it and get it running in a couple minutes if not sooner. 

Bob,  I would love to hear about those tweaks to make it run faster and whatever man I would like to try them. On a large 3d file it could take a good while to watch it run so that could be useful.  Please share if you do not mind. Peace

Pete
Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2014, 00:18:07 am »

Turn off the g-code display.  Reduce the image quality.  Turn off work piece display.  Run it using a high end gaming video card like one of the better Radeon cards, and not an onboard video card.  

Its still not going to be super fast, but you can definitely see the difference.  

Yeah, I had an issue with DRILL operations too.  I think I also had an issue with arc mode when I set it to absolute in gcode generation.  I have not looked into either of those things further yet.  

I don't mind the commercial too much. 

Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2014, 17:48:59 pm »

There is a new release of OpenSCAM.  I'm going to check it out right now.  Just saw this on the LinuxCNC site. 

Quote from: jcoffland
Hello, I'm the author of OpenSCAM. I just released a new version which uses Qt. It has some bug fixes and now works on OS-X. If you have any .nc files which don't simulate please create a ticket on the GitHub page and attach the file or send it to me by email. I will fix it and it will help make the software better.

Check out the new Website too: openscam.org/
GitHub: github.com/CauldronDevelopmentLLC/OpenSCAM

Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2014, 02:41:27 am »

I just did some simulations with the new OpenSCAM, and I was quite impressed.  It can be either fast or high resolution.  It actually showed me a problem, and I didn't believe it so I went out and ruined a work piece.  It doesn't automatically pick up the inch mode (G20) from the G-Code, and it still crashes if you try to export an STL file of the finished work piece, but it is so much better than the last version I evaluated.  It also doesn't support arc mode absolute.  I had to create G-Code with Arc Mode incremental or I got crop circles. 

It has come a long way.  I may make a donation to the guy working on it.  I had thought he quit, but the newest release was just 5 or 6 days ago. 

lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2014, 13:19:43 pm »

I tried the earlier V1 versions, and just downloaded the newer one.  I set it up to do a simulation of those trays I cut last week.  If I don't declare any 'real' tools, it renders in a minute or two, but of course, it doesn't give a faithful representation of the finished job.

If I do define the tools properly, it takes longer to render (at medium-low resolution) than it does to run the job!  Many of the examples provided render quickly, but they are simplistic jobs;  This is a big job (in terms of total tool movement), and it's just not useful if it takes that long to render.

It still has a bunch of shortcomings, Bob.  Many of the (even EMC2) codes are still not recognized, and it can't read tool info, even when it's provided in the EMC2 format.

It creates a nicer final rendering than CutViewer, but I wouldn't say it's exactly a useful package yet;  more like a worthy experiment that's getting better every day.

Lloyd

pixelmaker
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2014, 14:09:11 pm »

hello

There is a new release of OpenSCAM
Thank you to point this. This is the first working free simulation for Mac OSX. This makes the work a bit faster.
I try it a bit today but weather is to nice to work inside. So I will test it this evening.
@Lloyd:
If I do define the tools properly, it takes longer to render (at medium-low resolution) than it does to run the job!
The first job I imported in openscam is a 3D work with roughing and finishing. The nc file is 16.6Mb.
The real milling time of this job is about 25 hours and the toolpath lenght is 1212321.61.
In the file I worke with a 6mm Endmill, a 3mm endmill and a 3mm ballnose. After creating this tools in openscam the rerender of the toolpath and the workpiece needs 28 seconds.
With the setting of the resolution to "high" it needs 96 seconds
With the setting of the resolution to "very high" it needs 155 seconds.
Very helpfull is that the speed of the simulation can be set to 65536x original time
Now after playing a bit openscam don´t rerun the simulation and don´t rebuild the cutted part.
It looks that I found the limits  Grin
Now I saved the file in openscam and reopen it and it works again.

ralf
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 14:12:12 pm by pixelmaker » Logged
lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2014, 14:52:53 pm »

Ralf,

If I render the job with two flat-ended end mills, it takes mere seconds to render.  If I render with a ball nose and chamfer (and nothing else changed), it takes well over an hour to render.

Since the whole job is cut (deeply) by a ball-end mill, I presume there are many 'interpolations' being made to the work profile during that, but not happening when a straight end mill is used.

Mine is not a high-end graphics machine, so probably slower than yours.   But the fact that I can elicit that behavior simply by changing the tool profiles says to me that something in the algorithm is attending to the shapes very closely -- perhaps with more internal resolution than the rendering is set for.

LLoyd

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: