CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 01, 2020, 09:16:56 am

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Peck drilling multiple holes?  (Read 3092 times)
shorton
Storm Trooper

View Profile
« on: January 02, 2014, 16:25:00 pm »

Using Mach 3 CV postprocessor.

When I set up a peck drilling MOP for mulitple holes, and simulate in Cutviewer, only the first hole pecks.  The tool paths shown graphically in CamBam make it look like it's going to peck all the holes but the Gcode output does not reflect it.

G83 X1.0 Y1.5305 Z-0.27 Q0.09 R0.09 F20.0
G83 Y1.4128 Z-0.27
G83 Y1.2955 Z-0.27

Searching here I saw where Lloyd said this may be due to a modal setting.  I looked t the postprocessor (I'm using the stock version) but don't understand what modal means, or which parameter/underbar exactly to change to make it work, assuming that's the problem.  Can someone elaborate on modal and what to check/change.

Curious why this isn't the default behavior?  Am I going to break something else by setting it?  Again, assuming that's the issue.

lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 16:29:50 pm »

Any axis value in the G83 macro which has an underscore before it is modal.

Removing the underscore causes the axis to be issued ever time the G83 is, even if the axis hasn't changed.

Using modal values saves g-code space for controllers which understand modal values.  I'm surprised that your controller didn't issue an error, if it saw 'missing' elements in the G83.

Removing the underscores hurts nothing except the ending size of the g-code.  But don't remove them for any commands that are working modally.  Just start with the G8x cycles.

Lloyd

"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"
shorton
Storm Trooper

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 16:43:05 pm »

I haven't run the code on my machine with Mach 3 yet.  It's Cutviewer Mill that isn't handling the modal thing, at least.

Anyway, sorry to be dense but...

Is it this that I change, under Canned Cycles?:

Drill Peck:  {$g83} {$_x} {$_y} {$_z} {$p} {$_q} {$_r} {$_f}

Which underscore would be the one to force the explicit peck operation?

shorton
Storm Trooper

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 16:55:35 pm »

Never mind.  I removed the underscore from q & r, that fixed it in Cutviewer.  It seems to be happy with the other modal values, just the peck and retract values it wasn't following.  Thanks for the help again.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: