CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 27, 2020, 13:33:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cutviewer "System cannot find find the specified file"  (Read 13929 times)
pstemari
Storm Trooper

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2013, 02:12:06 am »

Same problem on Win7 x64--CutViewer installs to C:\Program Files (x86), and CamBam can't find it.  I assume it's hard-coded in the CutViewer extension.

The file names are a pain.  Usually I want separate files for each part, and while CamBam will add the .partname.nc from the part context menu, putting a {$part.name} in the output file name doesn't work the way {$cbfile.name} does. You have to explicitly put in ${cbfile.name}-Top.nc, ${cbfile.name}-Bottom.nc, etc.
Fritz
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2013, 02:50:43 am »

Same problem on Win7 x64--CutViewer installs to C:\Program Files (x86), and CamBam can't find it.  I assume it's hard-coded in the CutViewer extension.

I'm running 64 bit Win7 also. I tried uninstalling it from the X86 folder and reinstalling it in the regular Programs Files folder. It still doesn't run from "Simulate in CutViewer" ...and now my (12 hour old) 30 day trial says it's expired, it didn't like the uninstall/reinstall idea. I'll have to shoot them an email.

10bulls
Administrator
CNC Jedi

Coding Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2013, 22:52:04 pm »

Hello Fritz,

Attached is a revised CutViewer plugin.

Unzip this DLL into the CamBam plugins folder.
(usually)
C:\Program Files (x86)\CamBam plus 0.9.8\plugins

This replaces the existing CutViewer.dll

The next time your start CamBam, the CutViewer plugin will create a config file in the CamBam system folder.
Typically...

C:\ProgramData\CamBam plus 0.9.8\CutViewer.config

You can edit the config file in a text editor to change the location of your CutViewer executable.

There is also an option to show / hide a 'Simulate with CutViewer Turn' menu option.

I hope this helps.

* CutViewer.zip (3.7 KB - downloaded 323 times.)
dh42
Administrator
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2013, 23:15:41 pm »

Hello Andy,

Not tried on 7,but on XP ; that woks but I've 3 menu item for CV instead of 2.

++;)
David

* cvmenu.jpg (47.43 KB, 330x352 - viewed 384 times.)
Fritz
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2013, 00:11:00 am »

Hello 10bulls,

I gave the new dll file a try. It didn't create the CutViewer.config file. I tried it twice so now I have two sets of "Simulate in CutView" menu items but I get the same "System cannot find find the specified file" message.

I'm using Windows 7 if that's a factor.

Thanks

Fritz

* Plugins.png (48.66 KB, 823x400 - viewed 447 times.)

* CB menu.png (13.56 KB, 400x400 - viewed 397 times.)

* CBdir.png (66.54 KB, 813x499 - viewed 424 times.)
Jeff_Birt
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2013, 02:20:21 am »

With the new version of CutViewer you MUST run it as Administrator. If you right click on the CV icon and select properties you can set it to always run as Administrator.
10bulls
Administrator
CNC Jedi

Coding Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2013, 09:00:31 am »

I gave the new dll file a try. It didn't create the CutViewer.config file. I tried it twice so now I have two sets of "Simulate in CutView" menu items but I get the same "System cannot find find the specified file" message.
The CutViewer.config file will be located in the CamBam system folder (not program folder).

The easiest way to find this folder is to use the 'Tools - Browse system folder' from within CamBam.
Sometimes certain file extensions may be hidden, so also look for a file named just CutViewer in this folder.

The duplicate menu items are due to the copies of the CutViewer plugin (.dllx and .dllx2) being loaded.
If you remove these files, or rename them to remoce the .dll part (eg CutViewer.dl1), the extra menu should go
away.
pstemari
Storm Trooper

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2013, 07:35:24 am »

With the new version of CutViewer you MUST run it as Administrator. If you right click on the CV icon and select properties you can set it to always run as Administrator.

I run CV all the time without giving it admin privileges.  Win7 will redirect any writes it makes into the program directory (master config file IIRC) into a shadow directory burying in your user profile, but that's all pretty much transparent. 

There's an FAQ that says:

Cutviewer requires the user to have read access to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System

and read/write access to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MCVREG\CVREG2 (for CutViewer Mill)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\TCVREG\CVREG3 (for CutViewer Turn)

If appropriate access to these keys is given to the user then Cutviwer will run without administrator privliges.

but I've never fiddled with the ACLs on those keys.  If you want to do so just run regedit.  On my system the first one is already set to public read (and contains nothing sensitive, just some basic system info), and the other two don't exist.

Jeff_Birt
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2013, 13:07:02 pm »

See this post, toward the end: http://www.cambam.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2964.0 , starting with version 3.2 you have to run as administrator according to what I was told by the programs author or it will not work correctly. The symptoms I was seeing is that things were not displayed properly, running as admin fixed this.
pstemari
Storm Trooper

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2013, 05:08:26 am »

It could be that I updated the directory permissions.  Looking at them they aren't the usual and there's a few files that seems to get automatically modified.  Not sure if I changed them or the most recent software update did.

* settings.PNG (174.62 KB, 915x888 - viewed 467 times.)
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: