CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 23, 2017, 14:14:15 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: New to CNC and CAMBAM need help with .igs file  (Read 263 times)
EddyCurrent
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2017, 22:57:07 pm »

I've attached a cb file (zipped due to size) using your STL file, it's metric.

1. I used this plugin to rotate the object; http://www.atelier-des-fougeres.fr/Cambam/Aide/Plugins/NumMove.html
2. Then Edit->Surface->Edge detect
This generated a lot of polylines but I went through them and found the ones of interest for this project.
I created a new layer so the polylines could be a different colour to the 3D object.
3. Select the outline of the pocket for example (polyline 96) then, Edit->Transform->Align
set the radio buttons to, X none, Y none, Z upper
Do the same for polylines around the holes.
4. You now have the features to cut on a flat plane (i.e. 2D) with their Z positon at zero.
5. Now apply the appropriate MOPs and set the depth of cut etc. as required

How to install plugins; http://www.cambam.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5986.msg47492#msg47492

* LR308_v1.2_this_one[1].zip (503.53 KB - downloaded 9 times.)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 23:02:03 pm by EddyCurrent » Logged
lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Yesterday at 01:49:42 »

Truckeic,

I'd like to further the comments made by others.  I don't do 'organic' shapes, I make machinery -- and guns ARE machines.

I have only ever used 3D machining in CB three or four times in my work.  Each time, it was an exercise I didn't really like, because it doesn't really FIT the way machines are assembled.  Each time, also, I figured a better, quicker, and MUCH more accurate way to do the same task with 2.5D machining.

Get to know your drawing features in CB.  You won't regret it.  I make quite-complex machinery to manufacture explosives, and most if it is done with NO other CAD except the CAD features within CamBam.

Lloyd

"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"
EddyCurrent
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Yesterday at 09:13:28 »

If I'm modeling an item in 3D software such as Rhino, I always produce a 2D view at the same time for exporting as dxf into CamBam. In fact most of the 3D shapes produced are derived from those 2D lines in the first place.

This method provides geometry for both 2D and 3D toolpaths as required.
truckeic
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Yesterday at 18:13:35 »

I've attached a cb file (zipped due to size) using your STL file, it's metric.

1. I used this plugin to rotate the object; http://www.atelier-des-fougeres.fr/Cambam/Aide/Plugins/NumMove.html
2. Then Edit->Surface->Edge detect
This generated a lot of polylines but I went through them and found the ones of interest for this project.
I created a new layer so the polylines could be a different colour to the 3D object.
3. Select the outline of the pocket for example (polyline 96) then, Edit->Transform->Align
set the radio buttons to, X none, Y none, Z upper
Do the same for polylines around the holes.
4. You now have the features to cut on a flat plane (i.e. 2D) with their Z positon at zero.

5. Now apply the appropriate MOPs and set the depth of cut etc. as required

How to install plugins; http://www.cambam.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5986.msg47492#msg47492

I have not gotten a chance to look but I want say Thanks for helping..
I will check it out tonght..

From that drawing is there a way to figure where to zero your x and y..
Like I said I am new to this and want to lean. .so I hope these questions are not too dumb..
truckeic
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Yesterday at 18:16:48 »

If I'm modeling an item in 3D software such as Rhino, I always produce a 2D view at the same time for exporting as dxf into CamBam. In fact most of the 3D shapes produced are derived from those 2D lines in the first place.

This method provides geometry for both 2D and 3D toolpaths as required.
OK so with Fushio 360  can I export a 2d version of it..
There are sites that have these files in .igs for would be nice to just make 2d from them.. I don't want to invest in expensive sw. I am going to buy cambam I lIke the CAD.. and seems like making a tool path is not too bad...
Thanks again for your help!!
EddyCurrent
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Yesterday at 21:50:39 »

From that drawing is there a way to figure where to zero your x and y..
Like I said I am new to this and want to lean. .so I hope these questions are not too dumb..

It's best to use a point that can be found accurately such as a right angle corner.
EddyCurrent
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Yesterday at 21:57:22 »

OK so with Fushio 360  can I export a 2d version of it..
There are sites that have these files in .igs for would be nice to just make 2d from them.. I don't want to invest in expensive sw. I am going to buy cambam I lIke the CAD.. and seems like making a tool path is not too bad...
Thanks again for your help!!

Rhino that I use provides four views from,  top, bottom, left, right, front, perspective.
If a 3D object is in view it's easy to generate a 2D line from one of the views but in a lot of cases the 3D shape start with a line that is extruded.

So there are at least two ways to generate the 2D lines, 1. make a copy of the 2D line before extruding it into a solid, 2. generate a 2D line from one of the 3D views.

If you look at the CamBam file I attached you can see that the 2D lines on the Z=0 plane line up with the 3D object underneath, that is what you should create in the CAD software so you can export the 2D lines as dxf.

I can't help with Fusion because I've not used it but there should be plenty of tuition videos around.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 22:00:54 by EddyCurrent » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: