CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 24, 2017, 16:40:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: First 3D part, having some issues  (Read 87 times)
kvom
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« on: Today at 01:28:45 »

I modeled this surface in Solidworks, crafted a CB file using what knowledge I gleaned from the forum in the past, and simulated the part in Cutviewer (at least the roughing pass).

At the end the result looks OK, but the toolpaths don't.  The tool is plunging to the target depth at the start rather than the initial depth increment, so clearly some setting is amiss.

Note that the "vertical" sides around the center circle have an actual 3 degree draft.

Any hints appreciated.

* rays steam dome base.cb (1175.31 KB - downloaded 14 times.)
EddyCurrent
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Today at 10:23:02 »

Start with a Waterline Rough cut to remove the waste.
For a Finishing MOP with this circular item you could stick with Waterline but decrease step over depth etc. or Horizontal & Vertical scanline could be used to possibly give a better finish.
File attached with just the Waterline Rough MOP.

* rays steam dome base-B.cb (1178.22 KB - downloaded 4 times.)
« Last Edit: Today at 13:15:59 by EddyCurrent » Logged
Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Today at 10:27:49 »

CB - Linux - plunge to full depth
CB - Windows - works OK
version 1.0
In Linux version does exactly what you describe but it's beyond my competence to even guess why.

Before asking a question do some effort and walk through all menus and options in CamBam.  Maybe the answer is there. Please.
Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:45:29 »

I just tried in CB for Linux a project containing 3D profiles I machined a few days ago.
It seems there is a fatal bug, depth increments are not respected.

Update: It seems Waterline method respects the depth increment.  Horizontal and vertical hatch methods fail.
« Last Edit: Today at 11:52:29 by Dragonfly » Logged

Before asking a question do some effort and walk through all menus and options in CamBam.  Maybe the answer is there. Please.
kvom
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Today at 13:23:51 »

After I posted I found some changes to the MOP that seem to work in CutViewer.

Start Corner = Top
Cut Ordering = level first

One thing I see that's puzzling is that for each level in roughing the first pass is in the center of the material to be removed and then the outside and inside are done next.

I added a finish MOP with waterline that appears to work well.

The part will be milled from aluminum but I may do a trial run with machineable wax.

The finish is not particularly critical as the prototype part was cast iron.

I am making this for a friend's locomotive.  I had to get a bit deeper into Solidworks to model it.

Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Today at 14:12:25 »

You don't need CutViewer to see the wrong path generation. Smiley I don't have it actually.
BTW, is yours Windows or Linux version?
With hatch methods I usually set the cut mode to 'mixed' which speeds up the machining because there is no need to do an empty rapid move on each stroke. And region fill mode is also 'horizontal' or 'vertical' respectively.  Maybe because you use 'inside-outside offsets' it starts in the middle.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: