CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. October 22, 2014, 05:28:16 am

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: How to edit a CamBam engraving (and other) type of file  (Read 1431 times)
zappafan1
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« on: February 01, 2013, 05:18:26 am »

Hello, folks!  I'm doing some engraving on aluminum tube, generated with CB. Everything is right on the money as far as dimensions in CamBam, but when I do a test piece the numbers are off by about 1/8" (past where they should be.) I'll be checking my Y Axis calibration in the morning to make sure it hasn't changed, but I'd like to know if it's possible to edit a "finished" CB file.... meaning the tool path and G-code have been generated.

I've attached the CB file just FYI.  Thanks!
John

* End Support Numbers2.cb (775.63 KB - downloaded 46 times.)
Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 08:13:38 am »

Any text editor, even Windows Notepad, can do the editing.
Programmer's Notepad is a free good one
http://www.pnotepad.org/
Also Notepad++
http://lifehacker.com/5818674/the-best-programming-text-editor-for-windows

Editing can be done from Mach3. It defaults to Windows Notepad but you can set which editor to use.

You can also set the default editor for *.nc files in Widows so that double clicking on a file will open it automatically with the preferred editor.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 08:16:40 am by Dragonfly » Logged
lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 11:52:21 am »

I get absolutely nothing from your file, but a reference to a .nc file that does not exist on mine.

However, I must ask, "Why"?  Why would you edit the g-code when you can more easily edit the drawing in CB?

Another question I must ask is, how do you 'know' the dimensions in CB are right, if they wrap (or extend) too far on the actual workpiece.  Somewhere, there must be a measurements discrepancy.

I guess it's possible, but how would your "calibration in Y" change?  A step or encoder increment is a step or encoder increment.  No matter, one of those will move an axis a particular distance... period.

Since your file showed me nothing, I'm not really sure what the problem is.  Perhaps, show us the file that generated that .nc, instead....?

LLoyd

Automation Machine Design, LLC.
--
"Doing the impossible in pyro automation every day."
gpw
Wookie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 13:26:04 pm »

I had a similar situation once with a .5" error. I had programmed a .5" fixture offset on a previous machining job and had not used the machine for a while after that. I learned that fixture offsets on my controller are modal, and I had not cancelled it...
zappafan1
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 13:36:31 pm »

Any text editor, even Windows Notepad, can do the editing.
Programmer's Notepad is a free good one
http://www.pnotepad.org/
Also Notepad++
http://lifehacker.com/5818674/the-best-programming-text-editor-for-windows

Editing can be done from Mach3. It defaults to Windows Notepad but you can set which editor to use.

You can also set the default editor for *.nc files in Widows so that double clicking on a file will open it automatically with the preferred editor.

Thanks for the comeback, Dragonfly.  The error is mine.... I should have said it seems I cannot edit the CamBam drawing, NOT the .nc file.  I use Notepad to edit that file when I have to right within Mach3.
zappafan1
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 14:14:07 pm »

I get absolutely nothing from your file, but a reference to a .nc file that does not exist on mine.

However, I must ask, "Why"?  Why would you edit the g-code when you can more easily edit the drawing in CB?

Another question I must ask is, how do you 'know' the dimensions in CB are right, if they wrap (or extend) too far on the actual workpiece.  Somewhere, there must be a measurements discrepancy.

I guess it's possible, but how would your "calibration in Y" change?  A step or encoder increment is a step or encoder increment.  No matter, one of those will move an axis a particular distance... period.

Since your file showed me nothing, I'm not really sure what the problem is.  Perhaps, show us the file that generated that .nc, instead....?

LLoyd

'morning, Lloyd: I put my post on here so as not to bother you at work.  ^_^   And, I submitted the wrong file, so I've attached the right one.... not that it's needed to answer my question.  As I put on a previous post, I should have said I wanted to edit the drawing.... NOT the .nc file (which I know how to do.)  As far as I can tell, since this is an engraving, I cannot move the numbers once the drawing is done and has been saved.

As you'll see, the CB drawing grid is 1" x 1" and my numbers are centered on odd numbered inches... starting on 35, then 33, 31, etc. down to 1"  I have three numbers that are off for some reason and I want to move them on the drawing.

Since all the numbers except four are where they should be, my Axis calibration is OK.  Pertaining to that, in Mach3 one has to calibrate the number of steps for each stepper motor so that, lets say, the Y Axis moves 1" when you want one inch of travel. It's basically teaching Mach3 how many steps are required for each stepper.

* End Support Numbers.cb (775.56 KB - downloaded 52 times.)
* End Support Numbers.nc (30.07 KB - downloaded 40 times.)
gpw
Wookie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 14:52:48 pm »

I have three numbers that are off for some reason and I want to move them on the drawing.

In CamBam, click on the text to highlight it, hold the "Shift" key, and use the up, down, left, or right arrow keys on the keyboard to relocate it.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 16:09:07 pm by gpw » Logged
pixelmaker
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 14:55:02 pm »

hello,

i don´t know why...
In your attached file is only a nc file. There are no drawing objects!
I am not able to generate the toolpathes because I get a error that the file "C://Documents and settings/john/desktop/ atf codes 2 go... and so on" is not there.
I you don´t have the drawing in cambam and only a nc file, you can convert the toolpathes to polylines. Then you can edit them.
If this is not what you wan´t please upload a file where we can see something.

ralf
pixelmaker
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 15:09:04 pm »

Okay,
in the attachment is a edited file.
I activate the toolpath and then with the contextmenü of the toolpath I choose "Toolpath to geometrie".
I get the numbers as polylines.
I activate all numbers (Strg+A) and attach a engraving mop.
I copy the nc file and use "Paste Format" to the engraving mop. This brings all the values from the nc file to the engraving mop.
I delete the nc file.

Now you can edit all what you want and after you generate new toolpathes and nc-file.
I don´t know why you put the nc-file into a cambam file. In this way you never can edit something

ralf

* End Support Numbers_edit.cb (65 KB - downloaded 36 times.)
Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 15:16:10 pm »

If you are sure of your position and you are sure of your dimensions then that leaves a problem with your machine or your controller.  

That being said, is it possible that you generated the NC file, but never saved the original CB file?  When you do a project in CamBam you save the CamBam file and generate the NC or TAP file separately.

If you no longer have the CB file or never saved one you are limited to creating a new one if you need to change it.  

Something you can check.  In Mach 3 on the tool path screen I am pretty sure it shows you the maximum travels of each dimension of your code.  This plus the diameter of your cutter will give you the maximum dimensions of your cuts.  If the code is right then the problem is the machine.  

In addition to the things already suggested you can try using the scale in Mach 3 to cut your code smaller in one or more dimensions.  Just do the math to figure out the ratio to scale the work.  Its a stop gap, but if this is a one off project it "might" be "good enough."  Just make sure you remember to set the scale back to 1 when you are done.  

Getting started on CNC?  In or passing through my area?
If I have the time I'll be glad to show you a little in my shop. 

Some Stuff I Make with CamBam
http://www.YumaTackle.com
lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 17:07:02 pm »

Ok, Zap.

I see what you've done, but BOY have you made your life complicated by importing a g-code file of text MOps!

Why would you not just draw those numbers as individual texts in the drawing?  Then they could be moved around at will; registered to an axis, slid about, adjusted, whatever...

If your complaint is that they're to be engraved, be aware that there's a nice set of single-stroke fonts available for download right here in the forum.  Just search for "single-stroke fonts".

Lloyd

--
zappafan1
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 05:55:23 am »

Okay,
in the attachment is a edited file.
I activate the toolpath and then with the contextmenü of the toolpath I choose "Toolpath to geometrie".
I get the numbers as polylines.
I activate all numbers (Strg+A) and attach a engraving mop.
I copy the nc file and use "Paste Format" to the engraving mop. This brings all the values from the nc file to the engraving mop.
I delete the nc file.

Now you can edit all what you want and after you generate new toolpathes and nc-file.
I don´t know why you put the nc-file into a cambam file. In this way you never can edit something

ralf
Hello, pixelmaker:  Sorry I didn't get around to thanking you sooner for your assistance..... this flu that's going around can really ruin one's day... or week!   I saved a copy of my original CB file and .nc file to see if I can duplicate what you did, for future reference.  I hope this doesn't sound stupid, but I didn't "choose" to save anything as a CB file.  While saving the CB drawing, and generating the G-Code, CB saves the files all by itself. I will try a "Save-As" on my next drawing and see what options are available.

Now.... when I did my first drawing and machining test, the machine went over each number twice, which is fine. But with the new code it goes over each number four times, doubling the MOP time. I'd like to get that back down to twice per number. Also, I thought I had went over the code and changed the final depth to what I wanted (.040), bit it went down to .0625 and, as a result, broke the tool on the second number.... which means I'm down until my new tooling get's here (I can only afford to get one tool a time right now.) I'll have to keep an eye on that.  I read something here about engraving, and about a setting in CB being closely related to depth, so I'll be looking for that tomorrow.

Again, thanks for your assistance.
zappafan1
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 06:06:21 am »

Ok, Zap.

I see what you've done, but BOY have you made your life complicated by importing a g-code file of text MOps!

Why would you not just draw those numbers as individual texts in the drawing?  Then they could be moved around at will; registered to an axis, slid about, adjusted, whatever...

If your complaint is that they're to be engraved, be aware that there's a nice set of single-stroke fonts available for download right here in the forum.  Just search for "single-stroke fonts".

Lloyd

LLOYD!!!! How's it going down in the sun, guy??  I hope that project is going well for 'ya.  OK.... originally I DID draw the numbers individually, using the stick fonts from here (I downloaded them weeks ago.)  My problem was, after I saved the file I couldn't figure out how to move them after the save, and he knew or figured out how to do that for me, as can be referred to in pixelmakers post, above. 

By the way, I was totally shocked to see you had asked a question about doing 3-D parts MOPS.  I guess you're human after all!  Ha Ha Ha.  Anyway, while waiting for new tooling, I'm currently working on a project building a misting coolant unit, using electronic parts I've had lying around for decades (another thing I really liked that my math problems prevented me from going into as a career.... I'm just not "wired" right for math), and a solenoid pump from a faulty Keurig coffee maker.  Anyway, I'll close for now, and you take care.
lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 12:08:46 pm »

OH!  THAT John!

Did you ever get the tilt racks done and shipped?

Lloyd

--
zappafan1
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2013, 15:51:51 pm »

OH!  THAT John!

Did you ever get the tilt racks done and shipped?

Lloyd

'morning, Lloyd: ..... just about done, with a bit more welding to do. Aluminum is not the best to weld when the shop temp is only 20 degrees. There were a few more reasons for the delay of completion, some of which I detailed in our phone conversation. After dealing with Dennis, I can understand why Mike wondered if his business would still be in operation in five years or so.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: