CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 14, 2019, 22:17:54 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: CamBam plus 0.9.8N (development release)  (Read 40988 times)
10bulls
Administrator
CNC Jedi

Coding Jedi

View Profile WWW
« on: November 14, 2012, 10:41:37 am »

The latest CamBam development release is now available for testing...

http://www.cambam.info/downloads/#devt

From the release notes for this release...

• New shader based OpenGL Display Mode, use OpenGL_Legacy if errors encountered.
  • Holding SHIFT when CamBam starts will force GDI display mode.
  • New display option : View Projection Mode : Perspective / Orthographic.
  • Ball nose compensation added for 3D waterline finish operations.
  • New Scanline Gradient Threshold option in 3D mop, to suppress toolpaths steeper than given gradient (in degrees with 90 degrees vertical)
  • New post processor macros {$mop.first.x} {$mop.first.y} {$mop.first.z} {$part.name}
  • View rotation will now rotate about center of selected objects.
  • Use Surface Selection Color config option added.
  • Right click on drawing tree will not clear current selections.
  • Arc Center Mode added to post processors, plus new incremental options.
  • Obsolete Distance Mode and Arc Output All Axis properties removed from drawing machining options.
  • Can now set default post processor by right click menu in system tree.
  • Fast Plunge Height = -1 (default), now automatically calculates a default height. Use 0 to turn off fast plunges.
  • Line numbering ability in post processor.
  • Changes to G18 (XZ) arc handling : Warning! post processor Invert Arcs should now be set for (most) lathe post processors.
  • Holding tabs: new Tab Methods : Automatic (Inner/Outer) to avoid tabs on inside/outside region shapes.
  • Holding tabs: new Tab Style : Skip. Similar to a square tab but uses a rapid move across top. Intended for plasma tabs.
  • Holding tabs: Bug fixes when applying tabs to toolpaths. Triangle tabs now compensate for tool diameter.
  • DXF bug fixes : mirror extrusions on polyline, region ouput, multi-line text writing.
  • Python improvements - module support, search paths, treat tab characters as 4 spaces, better error messaging.

A big thank you for all the bug reports, feedback and feature requests that have gone into this release.

* 3D Gradient Threshold (0.9.8N).jpg (258.8 KB, 976x753 - viewed 1575 times.)
Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 13:55:53 pm »

Great!
Jeff_Birt
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 16:39:08 pm »

+++The new graphics look awesome!

-The stock offsets for CutViewer are still calculated wrong if your GCode origin is anywhere but (0,0,0).
-CutViewer is generating rapid collision detections due to the new automatic fast plunge, it seems to not like seeing a G0 that goes below the top of the stock.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 20:14:22 pm by Jeff_Birt » Logged
pixelmaker
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 22:54:01 pm »

Hello Andy,

thank you for your endless patience with the testers! Grin

In addition two release notes:
Bugfix: Raw text now can be translatet in the Z-axis
New Option in the config: max Line width, sorry I did not find yet what it do.
CAD-Extra Plugin Features now are in CamBam integratet. The plugin is no longer necessary and may crash CamBam!

And now if the release is public I found a bug.
When I increase the size of an object with the resize tool also the size of the "lower left point" is resized with this value.

ralf
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 23:09:32 pm by pixelmaker » Logged
10bulls
Administrator
CNC Jedi

Coding Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 09:30:38 am »

-The stock offsets for CutViewer are still calculated wrong if your GCode origin is anywhere but (0,0,0).
I'm not sure if this is right or wrong, but I'll explain the intended behaviour and let you decide (the intended behaviour catches me out sometimes too!  Embarrassed )

The stock offset (X,Y) is relative to the machining origin.
However, stock and machining origins can both be set on the 'Machining' or 'Part' objects.

If you have have the stock and machining origin set against 'Machining', you should see the stock 'block' move relative to the machining origin in the drawing display which should also correspond to CutViewer.
This is also true if stock and machining origin are set on a 'Part'.

It comes unstuck though when you have stock set in machining and machining origin set in the part.
In this case, you don't see the stock block move in CamBam but it does shift in CutViewer.
This was because the top level (machining) stock object could in theory be used for multiple parts, each with different machining origins.

So not a particularly good reason. Stock defining and display is due a little work, so I will look into ways of making this less confusing.

In general though, if you stick to setting machining origin and stock on the same object (Part or Machining) it should behave.

-CutViewer is generating rapid collision detections due to the new automatic fast plunge, it seems to not like seeing a G0 that goes below the top of the stock.

My understanding is that when CutViewer sees a rapid plunge with uncut stock adjacent to it, it can trigger a rapid collision.  I think whether it does or not is related to maths precision as these cases are right on the border of whether there is a collision or not.
If there is any wobble or backlash on your machine then these plunges could potentially cause problems.

This is one reason I have (until now) avoided having any default fast plunge setting.
However, fast plunge height is easily overlooked and I've watched many experienced CamBam users slowly plunging away until I've pointed out this setting and their machining times drop.  Hence this new change.

I'll see if there is anything that can be changed with CutViewer regarding this... maybe they could add a tolerance setting.
10bulls
Administrator
CNC Jedi

Coding Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 09:43:59 am »

New Option in the config: max Line width, sorry I did not find yet what it do.
Hopefully this setting shouldn't be needed, but I came across one problem with an older (buggy) display driver (VMWare), where line widths > 1 (pixel) were not being displayed at all, despite the OpenGL driver reporting they were supported.
Putting a 1 in this value would force all line widths to display 1 pixel wide, which fixed this particular display problem.
Upgrading the VMWare version also fixed this problem.  Angry

When I increase the size of an object with the resize tool also the size of the "lower left point" is resized with this value.
This has always been the behaviour of the resize dialog (and transform properties).  All the points are scaled relative to the drawing origin.

I plan to add a selection to the resize dialog; Reference point (or similar?), which could be origin, center, lower left etc, or perhaps an explicit point.

Jeff_Birt
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 14:15:21 pm »

I'm not sure if this is right or wrong, but I'll explain the intended behaviour and let you decide (the intended behaviour catches me out sometimes too!  )

OK, I can see that it looks like part of the issue is that I'm using it in a different manner than intended. Has this behavior where the stock jumps around when you set the machining origin changed in this release? What I typically do when starting a project is this:

1) Center geometry about origin
2) Set up stock size/offset in machining tab. Stock also centered about origin.
3) Set machining origin to top left corner of stock.

On this new version when setting the machining origin the stock jumps around. This seems very confusing. Typically I want the stock outline drawn relative to my geometry not somewhere else.

On occasion when I do a project that has machining on multiple faces I like to set it up in one CamBam file. In this case it is nice to be able to set a stock property and MO for each part separately (and post each part separately). Generally I'll reference the left rear of a piece of stock. When I have to flip a piece of stock over I like to reference the same edges, so when flipping stock about the Y-axis the new MO would be the top right corner of the part. (This helps to eliminate any offsets in machining caused by the stock being a few thou off in dimensions.

I'm not following why one would want the stock to jump around to follow the MO. Maybe an example file would clear it up, sometimes seeing an idea in action makes things more apparent.

Overall the new release is great!! Loving the shading.

* MO_Set_On_Machining.cb (3.9 KB - downloaded 294 times.)
* MO_Set_On_Part.cb (3.85 KB - downloaded 283 times.)
* MO_Set_On_Part_WTF.cb (3.88 KB - downloaded 331 times.)
BR52
Wookie

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 17:56:01 pm »

Hi Andy, I can help!

Armando

* CB98N.jpg (80.32 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 740 times.)
pixelmaker
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 22:24:55 pm »

Hello Andy,

I plan to add a selection to the resize dialog;
It was the first time I see this because while testing I made a small circle somewhere and scale it with 1000%. It jumps away. Normaly I work with lower left corner at 0,0,0 or centered objects and about this I never see this behavior.
The N is a fantastic work from you, I thank you for this.

ralf
Jeff_Birt
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 16:53:05 pm »

I also see there is a Mach3-Wrap post processor. What does it do?
dh42
Administrator
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2012, 20:06:29 pm »

Hello,

I also see there is a Mach3-Wrap post processor. What does it do?

Maybe for use with CNC Wrapper ??

Andy, I can't obtain any toolpath with the thread milling plugin with this version Wink

Thanks for this release .. Grin

++
David
shovelhd
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2012, 05:03:27 am »

how do I number the Line numbering ability in post processor.
lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2012, 13:05:29 pm »

Please see the answer in "Scripts and Plugins Help" under "How to line-number" thread.
(this is the wrong place for support questions...just an announcements area)

LLoyd

"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"
10bulls
Administrator
CNC Jedi

Coding Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2012, 13:50:58 pm »

how do I number the Line numbering ability in post processor.
In the new 0.9.8N release, from the System tab, select the post processor definition you are using.

Click the 'Advanced' button above the property list, to make sure all properties are displayed.

In the post processor properties, you should see a new section Line Numbering.
The main property to set is Add Line Numbers to True.

The other properties in this section control how the line numbers are formatted etc.
The offline help file, post processor section has more detail on what all these properties do, but hopefully
they should be fairly self explanatory.

Latest documentation is also available online here...
http://www.cambam.info/doc/dw/0.9.8/cam/PostProcessor.htm
lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2012, 14:11:15 pm »

OOPS!  I didn't read all my docs, yet!  Undecided

LLoyd

"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: