CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. December 19, 2014, 17:52:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you get CamBam on to Ubuntu?  (Read 4789 times)
blowlamp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« on: April 12, 2012, 13:12:07 pm »

I've got Linuxcnc (Ubuntu 10.04) installed on my system and I reckon it makes sense to have the linux version of CamBam alongside it for quick generation of code.

So, I've downloaded the files and that's about as far as I can get, because tarballs, permissions and all the other gobbledygook associated with this operating system is way over my head.

Can anyone please spare the time to do a simple - make that really simple - installation guide to help me and others on our way?

Thanks.

Martin.
10bulls
Administrator
CNC Jedi

Coding Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 21:03:02 pm »

I'll flesh this out a little more and add it to the main Linux reference page, but in the meantime here are some notes on what I did to get CamBam running on an Ubuntu 10.0.4 (Lucid Lynx) installation (this was installed using the LinuxCNC live CD).

First of all I made sure all my installed packages were up to date. 
You can do this using the 'System - Administration - Update Manager', but I used the following command lines
from a terminal window:
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

If you haven't done this for a while, this step can take a while.

Next we need to install the Mono framework and libraries.

Open the 'Ubuntu Software Center' application.

The default source repositories have out of date copies of Mono, so we need to add another source.

Edit - Software Sources

Click the Other Software tab, then the Add button.

Add the following apt line, then click Add Source:

deb http://badgerports.org lucid main

Next we need to authenticate this source.

The following link contains more details on using the badgerports repository as well as a link to a key file that
needs to be downloaded:
http://badgerports.org/help.html

In the Ubuntu Software Center, Software Sources section, select the Authentication tab, then Import Key File and select the PGP key you downloaded : (directhex.ppa.asc)

Close the software sources window and the packages cache should then rebuild.

Now click 'Get Software' then search for and install the following packages:
(Before you click install, select the More info button.  The version reported should read
2.10.8.1.1 ... if not then the adding the new source repository didn't work).

mono-runtime
libmono-system-windows-forms4.0-cil
libmono-system-web4.0-cil
libmono-system-design4.0-cil
libmono-system-numerics4.0-cil

That's it for the Software Center for now.

From the CamBam linux page, download the two tar archives.

Open the Ubuntu file manager for the next steps.

Copy the tar archives into your home folder.
Right click each archive and select 'Extract here'

You should now have two new folders under your home directory:

CamBam0.9.8
CamBam plus 0.9.8

Use View - Show hidden files (or CTRL + H).  Move or cut and paste the 'CamBam plus 0.9.8' folder into the .config hidden folder.
Note: This is the CamBam system folder.  I'm not too happy with the default location this has ended up, but it was the closest match to the Windows convention for now.

That's pretty much it.  If you have a CamBam license (CamBamPro.lic) file, now would be a good time to copy this into the CamBam0.9.8 folder under your home directory.

Start a terminal window (Applications - Accessories - Terminal).
You should be in your home directory.
Enter

Code:
cd CamBam0.9.8

and then...

Code:
mono CamBam.exe

The next step is to load the Mesa packages to get OpenGL working and hardware 3D acceleration (hopefully), but I haven't written that up yet.

I hope this helps!

Oh, in 10.0.4 you can do
System - Preferences - Windows
Then set the Movement key to use the Super (Windows Logo) key, rather than Alt.  This will
allow you to use Alt - Dragging for rotation in CamBam.
10bulls
Administrator
CNC Jedi

Coding Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 21:10:21 pm »

One more thing to mention:

From the badgerports news page, it looks like their hosting of the Ubuntu 10.0.4 Mono packages will end some time soon to make way for new Ubuntu versions.  He's already removed the pacakges for earler Ubuntu (Hardy Heron).

I will investigate alternative repositories, but if you are thinking of trying this out some time, sooner might be better than later.

For later versions of Ubuntu, the standard repositories hold the correct versions of the mono framework and libraries (I think they are a little out of date 2.10.5 rather than 2.10.8 but they seem to work OK).
toplakd
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 23:19:54 pm »

To add your newly installed CamBam to your Ubuntu desktop you should do the following.

1. Open terminal end enter
gnome-desktop-item-edit ~/Desktop/ --create-new

2. When "Create Launcher" window opens, you enter following command to "Command" field:
mono /home/yourusername/CamBam0.9.8/CamBam.exe

Dejan
swarfing
Droid

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 07:13:27 am »

Andy

Just to let you know i got mine working following these instructions in the end.

Many thanks

Paul
blowlamp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 20:22:01 pm »

Thanks for the extra instructions, Andy.

Well I've somehow managed to get CamBam running on Ubuntu 10.04, but I didn't find it easy!

My system already had mono-runtime installed, but not
libmono-system-windows-forms4.0-cil, libmono-system-web4.0-cil, libmono-system-design4.0-cil or libmono-system-numerics4.0-cil and they would not install with the method given - they seemed to do be doing the right thing, but never quite made it. In the end I did it through the Update Manager (or something  Grin) and used the Search box to find the right files, which then loaded up just fine... Success Wink

When CamBam starts, there are 4-5 error messages that appear in the Terminal window such as #GUID and #Blop (where do they get these words? Huh)
However it appears to be working pretty well Smiley

Thanks for your time and effort.

Martin.
submicro
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 00:54:33 am »

Thanks that really helped. I have it working but still having a few issues. It sometimes refuses to escape from an action such as polyline. The escape nor the enter key will work.  I have to close it out.

SubMicro
Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

^ 8.5 pounds on my own hand poured bait.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 02:02:59 am »

I just downloaded and installed CB on the Linux box on my desk.  There is only one directory in the archive.  The CB 098 program directory, but not the CB plus 098 directory with everything else.  

Never mind.  I just realized I had to download two archives separately. 

It appears to be working ok.  Tested out the thread mop plugin and the tool bar views plugin.  They seem to work.  Thank goodness for the views toolbar or I would go batty trying to figure out how to rotate the view of work. 

« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 02:29:38 am by Bob La Londe » Logged

Getting started on CNC?  In or passing through my area?
If I have the time I'll be glad to show you a little in my shop. 

Some Stuff I Make with CamBam
http://www.CNCMOLDS.com
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: