CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 11, 2019, 06:14:41 am

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
  Print  
Author Topic: CamBam on Linux  (Read 127953 times)
MuellerNick
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2012, 12:35:05 pm »

Thanks a lot for porting CamBam to Linux. That's a perfect fit for LinuxCNC, directly at the workplace for the small one offs.

I'll try it, as soon as I have a job for it.

Now for the Mac ... just kidding. I do have one, but the Linux-version is -for me- the best gain.

Thanks again!
Nick
servant74
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2012, 19:58:21 pm »

First, THANK YOU ANDY!
For taking CamBam to Linux.  I know it isn't perfect (yet) but like all of software and life, it is a journey.
First steps are a little painful, but we've come this far with you and we want to complete this trek.

I had a few miss-steps getting there on my Ubuntu Linux 10.04LTS system (with Gnome2), but it is running.  Still generates some messages like below but it does start up.

$ mono CamBam.exe
Unknown heap type: #GUlD
Unknown heap type: #Blop

I tried the BETA5 with no luck, but BETA6 did bring joy.

Haven't done anything with it yet, but that should be coming shortly.  Thank you again.
submicro
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2012, 22:08:39 pm »

I'm unable to locate the additional libs.
libmono-system-windows-forms4.0-cil
libmono-system-web4.0-cil
libmono-system-design4.0-cil
libmono-system-numerics4.0

I tried apt but it doesn't find them. I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 with LinuxCNC 2.5

Any ideas?
servant74
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2012, 22:23:03 pm »

I made sure I had the badgerports.org ppa added for Lucid
I upgraded to 10.4.04 from 10.4 and it disabled the badgerports
repository and automatically removed those packages.
I just reenabled the repository, did a apt-get update, add the packages back in, then all was well.

The messages shown above still are being displayed.

><> ... Jack
swarfing
Droid

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2012, 23:14:48 pm »

Just pulled in my first dxf on the Linux machine and done the mop with no problems at all. Will run it out on the router later this week. It's great that don't have to keep swapping files across different machines to do anything. I created the dxf in QCAD if you needed to know Andy.

Thanks  Wink
servant74
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2012, 00:32:15 am »

Just to make sure, I did this test again. If there is something I can do to help, please let me know. 

My machine is:

~$ uname -a
Linux nomad 2.6.32-41-generic #88-Ubuntu SMP Thu Mar 29 13:08:43 UTC 2012 i686 GNU/Linux

And logged in as a normal user (not root)
$ mono ~/CamBam0.9.8/CamBam.exe

Then it comes up and asks me my language (again),

10bulls
Administrator
CNC Jedi

Coding Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2012, 08:51:48 am »

Thank you everyone for the feedback!

The 'Unknown heap' messages are a side effect of obfuscation used on the assemblies.
As far as I can tell, these messages are harmless (though a bit ugly!).

Jack: If you keep getting prompted for the language setting, this is likely due to the config file not being
written to correctly when CamBam closes.

Does your '~/.confg/CamBam plus 0.9.8' exist, with write permissions for the current user?

If you do:
Code:
ls -l ~/.config/CamBam\ plus\ 0.9.8
Check that the config file : CamBamPro0.9.8.config is there.  It's modification date should change when CamBam closes.
10bulls
Administrator
CNC Jedi

Coding Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2012, 09:16:26 am »

Thank you Ralf / Martin for your testing.

I've confirmed some of the problems mentioned and will work on these.

G-Code with spaces are don´t work . eg G0 x 10.0 y 20.20 don´t work, G0 x10.0 y20.0 works
This seems to be the case with the Windows version also so I will put this on the general todo list.

Martin tried some files from the english forum:
http://www.cambam.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1098.0;attach=2903
This file don´t work, he gets a error: "g di32.dll" (perhaps only a space too ;-)
Files with Text objects currently will not work.  This is high on the list of functions to get working.
As a quick fix I will make a change so at least the files can be opened.

http://www.cambam.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1176.0;attach=3077
CamBam thinks a bit about this file but don´t generate toolpathes.
This also happens in the Windows version and is due to a change a while ago regarding the stock surface.
If you set the stock surface value to 'Default' rather than 0 (or align the model so the top is at Z=0) it should then work OK.

addition: Plane Slice Z - The window for the Value pops up,
You have to change to OK button with the tab and than you can click on it. Martin tells the target is not ok.
I couldn't replicate this on Ubuntu but I will keep a watch for it.
servant74
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2012, 14:49:39 pm »

I did check and : CamBamPro0.9.8.config
was not there.  I did find a /usr/share/CamBam\ plus\ 0.9.8 directory
that was empty with 777 privileges but it was empty.  I removed this directory.
I may have set the privs there to 777 thinking that was a problem earlier.

I did 'touch' that file, and it now exists (empty) but with 644 privileges.
This time starting CamBam it says:

Error reading: /home/jack/.config/CamBam\ plus\ 0.9.8/CamBamPro0.9.8.config
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Then it asked for the language selection, and CamBam screen came up.

I told CamBam to Exit from the File dropdown menu.

and the message box displayed with:
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Another message box opened saying:
Access to path: /usr/share/CamBam\ plus\ 0.9.8 is denied.

Then I closed that box and these came out on a console terminal when I closed the dialog box:

Cannot load type 'System.Windows.Forms.Design.FileNameEditor, System.Design, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a'
Cannot load type 'System.Windows.Forms.Design.FileNameEditor, System.Design, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a'

Ok, I obviously have a 'personal problem' with my install.
If you have suggestions they would be appreciated.

Thanks for your patience. ... Jack
10bulls
Administrator
CNC Jedi

Coding Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2012, 19:45:06 pm »

I don't think you are alone with this problem Jack.

I made the default system path for Mono : {$user}/CamBam plus 0.9.8/
(as opposed to the default Windows path of {$common}/CamBam plus 0.9.8/

When CamBam is loaded, go into the System - Configuration settings, and if it isn't already, try setting
System Path to {$user}/CamBam plus 0.9.8/

It *shouldn't* be trying to read/write to '/usr/share/CamBam plus 0.9.8'
unless it comes across the {$common} macro anywhere (maybe from an old config file)  Huh.

I'll keep investigating and work on making the file areas and permissions a bit friendlier.

The 'System.Windows.Forms.Design.FileNameEditor' errors are also interesting.
This might be due to a missing dependency.

If you do...
Code:
dpkg --get-selections | grep libmono
...can you see 'libmono-system-drawing-design4.0-cil' in the list?

If not, install this library using the methods described earlier.

Good luck!

MuellerNick
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2012, 10:36:25 am »

OK, so I tried it on Linux with some very basic stuff. Slots and circular holes.
It worked!

I do have a untouched LinuxCNC (V 2.4.6 iirc) on a un-updated Kubuntu 10.whatever. First, I tried getting the packages with the package-manager without adding the path to badgerports. Fail. But with badgerports it worked. Albeit, I didn't like the fact to have to install unsigned packages.

Draw the geometry with the CB-CAD. Only thing I saw was that the status line wasn't erased properly. Draw a circle and when CB says to click for a point on the circle, that text is drawn over the previous one. Minor hickup.

Now if CB would read the tool-table from LinuxCNC, so I don't have to maintain two tables...

And a general suggestion:
For inputing numerical values, a parser for the input string would be great. So you could enter something like "128 - 17 / 4". You find example code for that in the Stroustrup-book. Or I'll have a look, maybe I do have something in Objective-C (mail me if you want that code).

Again, I didn't look for bugs, I just wanted to mill those slots. And that worked.

Nick
submicro
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2012, 22:13:26 pm »

Hello

I get the some of the same errors. Using Ubuntu 10.04 CamBam beta6.

When closing CamBam a error occures: "Access to the path /usr/share\CamBam plus 0.9.8 is"

Occasional random crash. Large stl files tend to really slow things down and sometimes crashes. But i'm soooooo glad there is a linux version now. Many thanks

SubMicro
MuellerNick
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2012, 11:36:39 am »

A few times, CB looked like it hang. Didn't respond to any desperate clicks. Iconizing it and bringing it back to view fixed that.

Me:
"Try to remember the thing that happened before the ting that happened you did not want to happen".

Nick
Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2012, 10:41:11 am »

Not entirely related but I'd share - sometimes under Windows CB stops responding to keyboard input. I usually invoke Windows menu (Ctrl-Esc) and then click back into CB which solves the problem.\
ewidance
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2012, 13:51:35 pm »

Thanks a lot for porting to Linux. I've installed it on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS without problems. I not yet worked a lot with it, but it works.

Since i love to play, i installed it on my MAC. It launches, i see briefly the main windows before it hangs.

I've installed mono from http://www.go-mono.com/mono-downloads/download.html (and clic on OSX icon). I'm on Lion.

There's a collection of errors i got in console:

$ mono CamBam.exe

Jun 25 15:46:38 osx mono[4918] <Error>: kCGErrorCannotComplete: CGSDeviceGetGeometry: Invalid device window
Jun 25 15:46:38 osx mono[4918] <Error>: kCGErrorFailure: Set a breakpoint @ CGErrorBreakpoint() to catch errors as they are logged.
Jun 25 15:46:38 osx mono[4918] <Error>: kCGErrorCannotComplete: CGSDeviceSynchronize: Invalid device window
Jun 25 15:46:38 osx mono[4918] <Error>: kCGErrorCannotComplete: CGSDeviceGetGeometry: Invalid device window
Jun 25 15:46:38 osx mono[4918] <Error>: kCGErrorCannotComplete: CGSDeviceSynchronize: Invalid device window
System.ArgumentException: A null reference or invalid value was found [GDI+ status: InvalidParameter]
  at System.Drawing.GDIPlus.CheckStatus (Status status) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Drawing.Drawing2D.LinearGradientBrush..ctor (Rectangle rect, Color color1, Color color2, LinearGradientMode linearGradientMode) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.Drawing.Drawing2D.LinearGradientBrush:.ctor (System.Drawing.Rectangle,System.Drawing.Color,System.Drawing.Color,System.Drawing.Drawing2D.LinearGradientMode)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripProfessionalRenderer.OnRenderToolStripPanelBackground (System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripPanelRenderEventArgs e) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripRenderer.DrawToolStripPanelBackground (System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripPanelRenderEventArgs e) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripPanel.OnPaintBackground (System.Windows.Forms.PaintEventArgs e) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmPaint (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control+ControlWindowTarget.OnMessage (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control+ControlNativeWindow.WndProc (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.WndProc (IntPtr hWnd, Msg msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
System.ArgumentException: A null reference or invalid value was found [GDI+ status: InvalidParameter]
  at System.Drawing.GDIPlus.CheckStatus (Status status) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Drawing.Font.GetHeight (Single dpi) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Drawing.Font.GetHeight () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Drawing.Font.get_Height () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.Drawing.Font:get_Height ()
  at System.Windows.Forms.TextBoxBase.get_PreferredHeight () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.TextBoxBase.FixupHeight () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.TextBoxBase.OnHandleCreated (System.EventArgs e) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.TextBox.OnHandleCreated (System.EventArgs e) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmCreate (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.TextBoxBase.WndProc (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.TextBox.WndProc (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control+ControlWindowTarget.OnMessage (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control+ControlNativeWindow.WndProc (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.WndProc (IntPtr hWnd, Msg msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
Jun 25 15:46:42 osx mono[4918] <Error>: kCGErrorCannotComplete: CGSDeviceGetGeometry: Invalid device window
Jun 25 15:46:42 osx mono[4918] <Error>: kCGErrorCannotComplete: CGSDeviceSynchronize: Invalid device window
Jun 25 15:46:42 osx mono[4918] <Error>: kCGErrorCannotComplete: CGSDeviceGetGeometry: Invalid device window
Jun 25 15:46:42 osx mono[4918] <Error>: kCGErrorCannotComplete: CGSDeviceSynchronize: Invalid device window
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 13:55:11 pm by ewidance » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
  Print  

Jump to: