CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 01, 2020, 10:02:09 am

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10
  Print  
Author Topic: CamBam on Linux  (Read 134207 times)
vik
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 06, 2014, 03:47:51 am »

Awesome stuff. Even works for me on Linux, and I'm the archetypal crap-magnet when it comes to software bugs Smiley

Vik :v)
macbob
Storm Trooper

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: August 09, 2014, 03:48:24 am »

Working on Ubuntu 14.04.  Many thanks indeed!

Now what shall I do with that crappy Windows 8 laptop I bought?  Sigh!

Bob
lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 10, 2014, 15:21:20 pm »

Just on a lark, I think I'm going to try CamBam on a Raspberry Pi.  It would be a nice, compact 'pocket' solution for in the field (if it's not too slow).

However, the only version of mono I can find for the Raspbian OS is 4.x  CamBam seems to be looking for mono 2.x files.

Are there any tricks to making CB work under mono 4, or must I find/adapt a version 2 mono to the RPi?

Lloyd

"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"
AdeV
Droid

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 10, 2014, 17:03:20 pm »

Working on Ubuntu 14.04.  Many thanks indeed!

Now what shall I do with that crappy Windows 8 laptop I bought?  Sigh!

Bob - go to Linux Mint homepage & download an ISO image. Then google making a "live CD" on your USB pen drive (it's a piece of cake on Linux, a bit harder on Windows); the result is a USB stick that you can boot your shiny Windows laptop into Linux Mint - and, unlike the CDROM version, it actually performs reasonably well. You even get access to the Windows drive, so you can save files & stuff...
macbob
Storm Trooper

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: August 10, 2014, 18:20:50 pm »

Thanks for the suggestion.  Your approach has the benefit that I would still have a Windows machine for those rare occasions when I need to run something on Windows, although CamBam was the only holdout I cared about.  I have been using UNIX for just under 40 years and feel much more comfortable with it than with the modern Windows interface.

On the other hand, I have been drooling over the Grasshopper tool for Rhino.  Rhino would be a serious investment for me, and it only runs on Windows.  Sigh!

I will look into Linux Mint.

Many thanks!

Bob
cobra18t
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 27, 2014, 21:00:10 pm »

I created a .cb file in 0.9.8N on Windows 7. When I try to open it in 0.9.8P in Ubuntu 14.04 I get an error that simply says "./libcambam64.so"

Any ideas how I can get the file opened up on Linux?
vik
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 27, 2014, 23:58:36 pm »

Try a 'cd' into the installed directory on a terminal, and running ./CamBam.exe there. While you're at it, check that the file exists in the directory with ls -l

See if that works or sheds any further light.

Vik :v)
lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 28, 2014, 01:31:47 am »

When I try to open it in 0.9.8P in Ubuntu 14.04 I get an error that simply says "./libcambam64.so"
---------------------
That's not an error, that's a file path.  What "error" do you get.

Lloyd

"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"
cobra18t
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 28, 2014, 16:20:55 pm »

@vik: Thanks for the suggestion. It turns out that the file permissions for ./libcambam64 needed to be set to "Allow executing file as program"

@lloydsp: Yes, that is what was annoying about the error message; it was just an error dialog box with a filepath. Nothing else.

Thanks all, it is working now!

-Thomas
cobra18t
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 06, 2014, 04:36:46 am »

I spoke too soon about it "all working."

I am crashing CamBam with the following sequence:

1. Open Cambam in Terminal with
Code:
mono ~/CamBam0.9.8/CamBam.exe
2. Open existing .cb file
3. Click on existing spline
4. Edit spline control points
5. Only integers are displayed even though points have many digits past the decimal. Doubleclick on a point to edit it and additional digits appear.
6. click off the point being edited.
7. Doubleclick another point to edit it. CamBam crashes with the following error:
Code:
System.ObjectDisposedException: The object was used after being disposed.
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateHandle () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.TextBoxBase.CreateHandle () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.SetVisibleCore (Boolean value) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.set_Visible (Boolean value) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.Windows.Forms.Control:set_Visible (bool)
  at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridView.BeginEdit (Boolean selectAll) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridView.SetCurrentCellAddressCore (Int32 columnIndex, Int32 rowIndex, Boolean setAnchorCellAddress, Boolean validateCurrentCell, Boolean throughMouseClick) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridView.OnMouseDown (System.Windows.Forms.MouseEventArgs e) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmLButtonDown (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridView.WndProc (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control+ControlWindowTarget.OnMessage (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control+ControlNativeWindow.WndProc (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.WndProc (IntPtr hWnd, Msg msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
dh42
Administrator
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: November 17, 2014, 20:07:41 pm »

Hello,

After a lot of difficulties  Roll Eyes, I've now Cambam that works on linux (Ubuntu 14.04) ..

(A guy on a french forum has done a script that install all mono libs, cambam files and an icon for lauch CB  full automatically, nice !!)

I also tried to install some plugins ... and understand why they works or not on the linux version ...

If I try my plugins "Invert selection" or "Flatten", it works, but "Num Move" or "Grid Manager" crashes CB.

An example of the console return values when I try to use NumMove (no error when loading the plugin, only when it is used)

Code:
Missing method GetSetting in assembly /home/david/CamBam0.9.8/plugins/NumMove.dll, type Microsoft.VisualBasic.Interaction
System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.VisualBasic, Version=8.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies.
File name: 'Microsoft.VisualBasic, Version=8.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a'
  at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad (System.EventArgs e) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoadInternal (System.EventArgs e) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Is there other things that are needed, in addition to the 4 libmonoxxxx..cil libraries given in the web doc to handle the .dll files compiled with VB .net ?

I've also a crash when I try to edit cells in the points collections (polylines, points list)

I can edit one cell, then if I try to edit a second, Cambam close.(but before it ask if I want to save my unsaved file)

++
David
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 20:15:49 pm by dh42 » Logged
brickosouch
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 19, 2014, 18:36:46 pm »

Hi, I like cambam and dislike windows.

I tried cambam on linux but it is not ready for it yet (slow, lots of crash and weird behaviours), am I wrong?

Does the recent news of .net going to open source will change this?
Does going from mono to native microsoft .net on Linux will make cambam work like a charm on Linux without too much work for the cambam development team?

cheers.
brickosouch
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 19, 2014, 21:55:44 pm »

for information, i tried cambam on linux with CamBam0.9.8P-mono-beta2-64bit and ubuntu 12.04 64bits.
swarfing
Droid

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 22, 2014, 19:05:56 pm »

.net is already available on linux, it is just limited because of MS needing to be different.
Elrod
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 27, 2014, 22:34:03 pm »

I'm a brand new user of CamBam and I have it working under Linux which is my preferred OS.  I was watching the video on Styles and following along in the software.  I get to the point of changing the holes from being milled to being drilled and when I attempt to change "Tool Profile" to "Drill" it simply changes back to "Unspecified".  It seems to work properly under my Windows installation.  Am I doing something wrong?

Elrod
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10
  Print  

Jump to: