CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 21, 2014, 07:44:10 am

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: What program to convert .jpg or .gif files to dxf format  (Read 3121 times)
Imagining
Storm Trooper

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2012, 02:34:49 am »

Here is a 2D CAD program that is open source

http://librecad.org/cms/home.html
Imagining
Storm Trooper

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2012, 02:53:29 am »

Lloyd:

My experience with SketchUp for designing furniture with readily identifiable parts that can easily be visualized and then assembling those readily identifiable parts with known assembly methods is completely different from  " large 3D landscape models ... of real-world venues (theme parks, for setting up fireworks displays)".

I export DXF and STL files of objects designed with SketchUp to make the furniture pieces, many which are curvilinear in two planes, and have had not a bit of difficulty.

If I do start to design and the machine " large 3D landscape models ... of real-world venues (theme parks, for setting up fireworks displays)"  I will keep your observations in mind.

Thank you ever so much for your insights and concerns.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 23:02:30 pm by Imagining » Logged
Imagining
Storm Trooper

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2012, 02:59:29 am »

Here is an open source 2/3D parametric CAD program:  http://solvespace.com/index.pl
mofosheee
Droid

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2012, 14:34:01 pm »

So for instance I download google sketch-up / solve space or some other 2d CAD program and created a crude file that saves with some extension; i.e..stl or skp.

The question that I have been struggling with is.......... how to I enable CamBam to recognize and open such a file?  Thank you
atwooddon
Wookie

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2012, 14:58:03 pm »

Basically, for any file type CamBam can handle (ie, .dxf, .stl, etc) you just open the file using the File > Open command.  CamBam can currently handle .cb, .dxf, .stl, .3ds, .gbr file types.  Maybe more, I haven't looked recently.  I primarily work with .cb, .dxf, .stl file types.

Don
blowlamp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2012, 15:26:42 pm »

Jerry.

I would suggest that for the time being you concentrate on using DXF files with CamBam and get a program that will produce them reliably.

I use ViaCAD and it works well for me for 2d and 3d stuff, but it is not free ($99 usd). Others use DraftSight, which is 2d only and is free  Grin

http://www.3ds.com/products/draftsight/download-draftsight/?xtor=SEC-6-GOO-[]-[]-S-[draft%20sight]

Martin.
Imagining
Storm Trooper

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2012, 17:41:05 pm »

"how to I enable CamBam to recognize and open such a file?"

Cam Bam recognizes file types by, generally, the file type suffix, an example of which is DXF.  Once Cam Bam recognizes a file type, it knows what to do.

The workflow from design to part is like this:

CAD => Cam Bam => CNC

or, to state by file types:

1. DXF [a file type from a CAD program] => Cam Bam

2. Cam Bam then converts the DXF file to g-code

3. g-code => controller program [MACH3 or EMC2] => CNC controller [example: Gecko G540]

4.  G540 generates electrical impulses to stepper motors on the CNC machine and the stepper motor driven carriages or lead screws in turn move the cutter about in XYZ coordinates which in turn makes the object you designed.

Hope this helps.

I

« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 17:42:54 pm by Imagining » Logged
Oldmegawatts
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2012, 03:52:45 am »

As others have stated, it is probably just as easy to generate a .dxf file with a CAD program. Check out progeCAD. They have a free 2D version that is great and uses all the same commands as AutoCAD. I have the 2D version on my laptop and the PRO version on my desktop. I couldn't afford AutoCAD any longer.
Old Megawatts
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: