CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 23, 2014, 09:55:49 am

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: What program to convert .jpg or .gif files to dxf format  (Read 3124 times)
mofosheee
Droid

View Profile
« on: February 28, 2012, 23:13:49 pm »

Dear Cambamers

Suppose that I draw an image an save it as in a jpg format.,  what program is best for converting the image to dxf.  Thank you

* turbo_flange_dxf_600.jpg (35.36 KB, 600x413 - viewed 108 times.)
Orifice62
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 23:45:30 pm »

Hi Mofosheee,
Inkscape:  http://inkscape.org/
Heres your Turbo Flange.dxf
I hope this works Tongue

Bret

* Turbo Flnge.zip (7.28 KB - downloaded 57 times.)
GeorgeRace
Wookie

Wobbler Engine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 00:06:16 am »

I like img2cad.  You can see it at http://www.img2cad.com

A couple of files below.
George

* turbo_flange.dxf (9.74 KB - downloaded 80 times.)

* CamBam+ turbo_flange.jpg (229.26 KB, 668x408 - viewed 119 times.)

Please check out my web site.
http://www.mykitairplane.com
Builder & Test Pilot of N73EX
blowlamp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 12:57:45 pm »

mofosheee.

Why not just draw it in a CAD program and save it as a DXF, as it's a much more predictable way of getting what you want?

Martin.
mofosheee
Droid

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 15:15:49 pm »

Martin

I am at the learining stage and don't even know the right questions to ask at this time.   For tutorial purposes and if it makers sense to others, I was intending to download an image, load it to CamBam and produce tool paths and gcode. 
mofosheee
Droid

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 15:50:13 pm »

For instance, I convert and save the attached .jpg file to dxf.  I open CamBam and and attempt to load the selected "dxf" file.   

A window pops up informing me that the original was in inches and I am attempting to change units of measure to millimeters.  I then select "no" to maintain the same units of measure (inches) then attempt to open the file. 

Results are that:

1) mm's are again displayed in the units of measure window.
2) No image is displayed.

What am I doing wrong please?

Thank you in advance. 

* Opener.dxf (4.16 KB - downloaded 63 times.)
blowlamp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 15:55:30 pm »

mofoshee.

It's certainly a valid approach for some things, but I wouldn't recommend it for parts that have to be made to an exact size, although it's a useful tool for bringing in artwork.

You'll almost always have to mess around with areas of a drawing when brought in this way and the part you've given as an example (gasket/flange?), would be better made to some known dimensions, which is much easier to do in a proper CAD program - and some good free one are available, if that's what you want.

Martin.

blowlamp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 16:22:10 pm »

For instance, I convert and save the attached .jpg file to dxf.  I open CamBam and and attempt to load the selected "dxf" file.   

A window pops up informing me that the original was in inches and I am attempting to change units of measure to millimeters.  I then select "no" to maintain the same units of measure (inches) then attempt to open the file. 

Results are that:

1) mm's are again displayed in the units of measure window.
2) No image is displayed.

What am I doing wrong please?

Thank you in advance. 

1/ The pop-up window is telling you that the file is in mm's and is asking if you would like to make mm's your default unit setting for CamBam. However, because the file is in mm's, that is why it is displayed as such.

2/ There don't appear to be any objects in your file for CamBam to display.

You aren't doing anything wrong, but problems like No2 are more common using the scan to cad technique.

Martin.
mofosheee
Droid

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 17:01:29 pm »

Thank you again.  Hum, much much more to learn.  Attached is a typical for instance dilemma for a part that I am trying to replicate for my rc airplane:

Jerry

* Jh16946.jpg (79.61 KB, 462x392 - viewed 136 times.)
blowlamp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 18:38:33 pm »

Jerry.

To get you going, here is the part drawn up in a CAD program from the dimensions shown in your picture.

Martin.

* falcon.dxf (57.94 KB - downloaded 71 times.)
Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 19:49:49 pm »

All programs with bitmap tracing capabilities produce inaccurate results. Depending on image resolution, contrast, and used method for finding and tracing the edges.
I have a lot of experience in the field. Where there's no other way I prefer to trace manually and then edit the paths in a vector editor program. For example I have made a motor head gasket drawing to be laser cut from a scanned image, but it's a pain.
mofosheee
Droid

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 19:56:36 pm »

Thank you Martin for that and all others for their valued input.   Would somebody please suggest a CAD program that would compliment CamBam?

So much to learn

Jerry
swarfing
Droid

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 22:09:58 pm »

Here is a simple to use 2d package that is the same as i use under linux. The link is for a free version for windows :-)
http://www.himili.com/blog/downloads/qcad-for-windows-gpl-version/

Imagining
Storm Trooper

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2012, 00:50:04 am »

Thank you Martin for that and all others for their valued input.   Would somebody please suggest a CAD program that would compliment CamBam?

So much to learn

Jerry

It isn't so much the CAD program being compliant with Cam Bam, it is the file type.  For 2D objects it is DXF files, for 3D there are other file types.

For a easy and free start you should look at Google SketchUp.

And yes, so much to learn, but we are all happy to help as others have helped us.
lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2012, 01:01:26 am »

For a easy and free start you should look at Google SketchUp.

-------------
Having developed several large 3D landscape models in Sketchup of real-world venues (theme parks, for setting up fireworks displays), I can say that I'd rather pay double for some unknown commercial CAD program that might not even work, than to get Sketchup for free.

Lloyd

Automation Machine Design, LLC.
--
"Doing the impossible in pyro automation every day."
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: