CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 22, 2014, 12:41:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: PCB-Gcode. Rotate layout by 90 degree CW  (Read 1390 times)
WireCut
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« on: February 25, 2012, 19:55:37 pm »

Hi to all.

Was almost one year I'm not using CamBam.
Today I have installed the latest 0.9.8 latest version.
I have imported the "xxx.bot.etch.tap" that has been generated by latest release of PCB-Gcode and I have discovered that the presence of the dots on the file name do not like to CamBam (please confirm).
I have renamed the file as "xxx_bot_etch.tap" and it is loaded correctly into CAMBAM.
But trying to select the entire layout of the PCB in order to rotate it by 90 degree clockwise, I'm not able to select the layout.

My question is:

It is my problem that I do not remember how to make a selection  Sad
or there are a big change on the latest release of CamBam  Roll Eyes
or I need to make some triks to obtain a selectable layout  Shocked

Ciao

Leo

10bulls
Administrator
CNC Jedi

Coding Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 21:15:40 pm »

Hello Leo,

I just tried renaming a gcode file here to 'xxx.bot.etch.tap' and it loaded OK for me, so I am not sure what may have gone wrong there.  Did you get any error messages?

Gcode can't be rotated in CamBam, it is included as is.  The display shows the toolpaths withing the gcode.

However, if you right click the gcode machinine object in the drawing tree, you should see a menu option called :
'Toolpaths to geometry'.

This will convert the toolpaths into a series of polylines into a drawing layer.
You can then rotate and further edit these lines.
It will help to disable or delete the gcode machining object.

To convert these lines back to a machining operation, select them and insert an 'Engrave' machining operation, which will basically follow the lines.  You will need to set your speeds and feeds on the engraving correctly.

I hope this helps.
HankMcSpank
Storm Trooper

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 21:50:32 pm »

for what it's worth.... in my opinion, if you're an Eagle user, rather than use pcb-gcode,ulp to then end up with a g-code file (to bring into cambam), it's far better to just export the Eagle pcb tracks as a gerber open them that file in cambam (just be aware that Eagle outputs in imperial & I work in metric - but a quick ctrl A- Ctrl E- change inches to mm sorts that!) ....cambam allows much finer 'tweaking' to the pcb track toolpath (and the tool path visualzation is better to)
WireCut
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 22:19:22 pm »

I just tried renaming a gcode file here to 'xxx.bot.etch.tap' and it loaded OK for me, so I am not sure what may have gone wrong there.  Did you get any error messages?

No errors when load, but trouble when you save. Seems saved correctly, but nothing is really saved.

For the other suggestion I will follow it tomorrow.

Thanks

Leo
WireCut
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 22:21:16 pm »

for what it's worth.... in my opinion, if you're an Eagle user, rather than use pcb-gcode,ulp to then end up with a g-code file (to bring into cambam), it's far better to just export the Eagle pcb tracks as a gerber open them that file in cambam (just be aware that Eagle outputs in imperial & I work in metric - but a quick ctrl A- Ctrl E- change inches to mm sorts that!) ....cambam allows much finer 'tweaking' to the pcb track toolpath (and the tool path visualzation is better to)
Hi JankMcSpank

Many thanks for the suggestion.

I will try tomorrow.

Bye

Leo
Jeff_Birt
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 13:51:11 pm »

I agree with Hank. CamBam does a much better job optimizing the etching tool paths than PCBGcode does. I milled out a small adapter board Friday using PCBGCode and it took about 10 minutes for one board. Since the board worked I wanted to make several of them. I generated the Gerbers and Excellon drill file and pulled everything into CamBam, time per board from CamBam was just over 5min.
HankMcSpank
Storm Trooper

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 20:00:18 pm »

Al lot of the win using cambam to make pcbs is having all your eggs in one basket so to speak....it's all very well having the pcb tracks routed by pcb-gcode, but there's more to making a pcb than just milling the tracks....for example, cutting the pcb outline (in pcb g-code there's no offset for this) ....pcb mount holes....replicating many duplicate etches etc ( nesting) ...all this can be done easily once the Eagle gerber has been brought into cambam.

Don't get me wrong ....pcb-gcde is great (& free), but if you're a cambam user, then IMHO doing the lot in cambam is better!

Since cambam is one of the few cam programs that actually imports gerbers, inevitably, there are a lot of pcb millers use it ....I'd still love to se a midline/voronoi option for the track layer though  ...it would cut down the milling time by about 50% (I can wish!)
WireCut
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 17:53:19 pm »

Hi 10bulls,

'Toolpaths to geometry'.

This will convert the toolpaths into a series of polylines into a drawing layer.
You can then rotate and further edit these lines.
It will help to disable or delete the gcode machining object.

To convert these lines back to a machining operation, select them and insert an 'Engrave' machining operation, which will basically follow the lines.  You will need to set your speeds and feeds on the engraving correctly.

I have followed your suggestion and works greath; but now how to rotate the xxx.drill.tap layout?

Regards

Leo
Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 20:09:28 pm »

Edit -> SelectAll
Edit->Tranform->Rotate
See how the Rotate command works in CB.
WireCut
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 21:16:01 pm »

Hi Dragonfly,

I'm not able to select and rotate.

Could you so kindly to try for me?

Attached there are the original XXX.drill.tap file generated PCB-Gcode.

Thanks in advance.

Bye

Leo

* TelTermo_7_seg.bot.drill.tap (10.88 KB - downloaded 54 times.)
Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 21:29:46 pm »

Well, convering toolpaths to geometry produces quite a number of polylines. Problem is I can't see them on my screen. Also, as this is a drill file, as far as I know, in my understanding the result should be point list, not lines.
And ... my limit is here. Hope some of the more experienced forumers may help.

Also, looking at the actual code, I notice that a tool with 0.032" deiameter is selected (~0.8 mm) and the all the drill moves down the Z axis are to the same depth. Which makes me think the polylines produced are vertical to the XY plane and therefore invisible.

But I think you already got some good advice for a better approach to the task than importing the machine code.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 21:37:28 pm by Dragonfly » Logged
Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 21:53:30 pm »

I think I got it.
After Toolpath to geometry conversion created a new layer and made it the active one. Then selected all polylines on the default layer and applied from the menu "Draw"->Point List->centers, which produced a set of points in the new empty layer.
Just to be sure I did Align to Center on Z axis with all points selected.
Here's the .cb file I made. In inches. If I've hit the right track, the rest is in your hands.
Ivan

* RotatedPCBDrill.cb (422.67 KB - downloaded 34 times.)
WireCut
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 21:59:16 pm »

Hi Dragonfly,

many thanks for your precious support.

I will work on it.

Ciao

Leo
WireCut
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 21:30:22 pm »

Hi,

problem solved in the easiest way!!!!!!!

I have rotated the PCB on Eagle.

All done perfectly.

Thanks again for your greath support.

Ciao

Leo
Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 09:13:02 am »

Always glad to help if I can Smiley
Ivan
Pages: [1]