CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 24, 2014, 15:22:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it possible to populate text into a "template" document?  (Read 852 times)
Yuri2
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« on: December 04, 2011, 05:53:22 am »

Hello everyone,
  This is my first post on the CamBam forum.  I am very impressed with CamBam, and am thinking of buying.  I have a particular task in mind for the software, and I wonder whether anyone can help me.
  I am looking to engrave VIN plates, and to set up the engrave job without any manual typing or entry of data.  We generate VIN plate text information in an Excel document, and the string (s) to engrave are readable there, say with VB.  I have the CamBamstick fonts, which work well.  Can I set up a template type of blank document with predefined text fields, a specified font, and justification, and then progamatically enter the info for each field with a macro or script?  I have done extensive API coding with SolidWorks, and Excel, so the program writing is not the issue.  I don't seem to be able to find any documentation on API funtionality in CamBam. The scripting route looks promising, but I lack documentation. Any help would be very welcome.
Gerald
kvom
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 12:22:21 pm »

If you look at a CB file in a text editor you'll see that it's an XML file.  Text is embedded in a <text></text> tag pair.  So it ought to be relatively straightforward to generate the file(s) you need via a simple edit function, such as SED.
Yuri2
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 02:09:24 am »

Thanks kvom
  I have looked into the format of the file, and just as you suggest. pumping text into predefined fields should be quite straight forward.  Thanks so much!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: