CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2019, 14:22:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: outside convex/concave/sloped profiles  (Read 1764 times)
kvom
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« on: November 27, 2011, 14:42:47 pm »

These outside profiles have a larger diameter at the target depth than at the surface.  However, when the difference is larger than the stepover, the upper "slices" take multiple passes.

If the profile could be milled bottom up (assuming flute length > target depth), then each slice would need only a single pass and hence would be much faster to do.

An option to do this would be nice.
annuello
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 13:23:14 pm »

I know it's an old post, but I'd like to add a +1 to this feature request.  It would be great for roughing out SideProfiled 2D objects with an endmill, leaving a bit of RoughingClearance for a ballmill to clean up in a finishing pass.

A "bottom up" strategy would be mutually exclusive to the existing "Adjust Cut Width = true" parameter.  For Z height passes in a "bottom up" strategy I think it would be fine to use whatever CuttingDepth specifies, following the Z results in reverse-order.  I.e. First pass at TargetDepth, if FinalDepthIncrement is specified then the next Z pass is a at TargetDepth+FinalDepthIncrement, all remaining passes at DepthIncrement (up) until StockSurface is reached.

Annuello.
Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

^ 8.5 pounds on my own hand poured bait.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2019, 15:57:44 pm »

I've suggested bottom up for sidewall other than vertical profile cuts as well. 

There are two huge direct benefits. 

1.  It allows for chip thinning speeds in many circumstances.  The stepover is pretty small when doing these types of operations as if it isn't you wind up with a badly stair stepped sidewall.  You can cut these at incredibly fast feed rates when you have such small stepover, and the bulk of the cut is on the side of the cutter. 

2.  You will also increase cutter life by an order of magnitude as the bulk of the cut will be along a wider section of the side, instead of all on the tip. 

It is possible to use a 3D operation to do this, but it can be quite time consuming and cumbersome to get everything just right.  If you have other 3D geometry in your CAM file it can push CamBam towards it memory limit. 

Getting started on CNC?  In or passing through my area?
If I have the time I'll be glad to show you a little in my shop. 

Some Stuff I Make with CamBam
http://www.CNCMOLDS.com
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: