CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 17, 2018, 10:20:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: FreeCAD - unique open source CAD program for 2D and 3D modeling  (Read 6324 times)
dave benson
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2017, 23:32:17 pm »

Ivan
That looks good, did you loft the geometry or position solids and union them.
on a side note I come from a motorsport family (speedway motorcycles and Modified mini sprintcars) so this is an interesting project for me.

Normally the inner profiling (Flowing) is done with 5 Axis machines now. we did it years ago with templates and an air grinders.

If you need t flip the stock, perhaps leave some stock on each end, and have some dowel pins to keep register while you flip it over.

I suspect with using  3D milling techniques  that you might have to do some finishing with a hand grinder.

I follow your progress with interest.

One other thing, when you turned the geometry into a wire, if you then press the button twice it will (sometimes) upgrade the wire into a filled face, with which you can use some other tools with.

Dave
Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2017, 08:26:52 am »

Yes, I discovered that upgrading does different things depending on the type of object. Also, if it is a wire or sketch there's no need to convert to compound for extrusion. Many things still to learn and comprehend but your examples allowed me to get more familiar with the project tree and that I can organize and clean it.
After the single extrusions for the body were ready and one of them tilted and repositioned into the other I did a union of them to form a single solid. Then made lofts from the shapes of the two port windows and applied boolean subtraction for the air channels.
There are guys here doing car tunning and it is for them. They are a family of race drivers, the father was a prominent Bulgarian racer back in the young years. Until now I've done some simple flanges or just made drawings for gaskets. This is the first time I am trying to do such a complex part. I want to make a dummy out of foamed PVC to check how it  fits. Perhaps they will order the final aluminum part at a workshop with a suitable milling machine.

Before asking a question do some effort and walk through all menus and options in CamBam.  Maybe the answer is there. Please.
ubit
CNC Ewok

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2017, 11:42:20 am »

Hi,

i am using FreeCAD (latest dev version) a lot. The 3d Modeller in the Part Design Workbench is really great. Most of the time i am using it for my 3D printer.

I have created some small tutorials for building parametric 3d parts with FreeCAD 0.17. They are in german language (maybe you can paste the text to google translate to use them in other languages) and can be downloaded here:

http://ubit-rc.de/downloads/PartDesignTut1.pdf
http://ubit-rc.de/downloads/PartDesignTut2.pdf

I do the parametrization using the spreadsheet function of FreeCAD. It has still some bugs - but it is very usable after you get comfortable with it. This way of building parts has nearly nothing to do with drawing - it really is about construction and thinking about what is needed (what constraints to add). Not really easy - but very powerful.

Maybe the tutorials can help someone - even if the latest versions of FreeCAD have changed the part workbench again a little *g*

My main problems with FreeCAD for my CNC Router is generating 2D drawings with text that can be exported as DXF and read into CAM software. DXF Import does not work well for me too.

Ciao, Udo
dave benson
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2017, 21:08:52 pm »

Hi Udo

I downloaded the tut's, and used Google to translate to read the files.
They were well written (style wise) as even after the translation, they read very well in English.

I believe that you can get a BOM 'Bill of materials' using the spreadsheet as well.

I'm importing and exporting .dxf's between  Freecad  and CB pretty easily now, although I have been exporting
sketches rather than "2D drawing objects" from the Draft workbench.

If you have an example file that you want to use, and is causing problems, then post it and I will have a look at it, and if I can successfully (Import\Export) it, I'll post the method I used to get it to work.

Dave
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: