CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 20, 2014, 11:25:14 am

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New Flatbed  (Read 1670 times)
BoatBuilder
CNC Ewok

View Profile WWW
« on: November 16, 2011, 02:32:50 am »

This is my new flatbed router - "the machine that goes bing"! I made a new addition for it today on the machine so I figure it's finished enough to show off. I designed and built it over the past 12 months primarily so I can fitout my boat with it.
The frame & table is 40*80 aluminium profile whilst the gantry is 40*160. It takes a 1200*2400 sheet with a 250mm z axis. The X is driven by belt and the Y&Z are driven by ball screw.
The router is a Triton/CMT converted plunge router but is excessively loud so I think my first overhaul will be a quieter spindle. Whilst I had a few issues just trying to figure things in my brain, I had remarkedly no major issues commissioning it.

* IMG_1624.JPG (2057.05 KB, 2592x1936 - viewed 256 times.)

* IMG_1626.JPG (1912.21 KB, 2592x1936 - viewed 190 times.)

I'd like to be known someday as a great craftsman or woodworker rather than just a sex symbol
Imagining
Storm Trooper

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 03:41:42 am »

BoatBuilder stated: The router is a Triton/CMT converted plunge router but is excessively loud so I think my first overhaul will be a quieter spindle.

Try this if your router makes too much noise:

http://www.vhipe.com/product-private/SuperPID.htm

It is a speed controller so you can slow down the speed of your router to as low as 5,000 rpm, which will cut noise tremendously, plus give you more choices in cutting.  It keeps the router turning at a constant speed no matter the load.

Here is link to thread about it on CNC Zone

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cnc_router_table_machines/112658-super-pid_new_low-cost_router_speed.html

Here is link to youtube showing it in operation: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSuperPID#p/u/2/85L050QcsYI

Also do a search on youtube for "super pid".  There are a lot of posting by other that are using it.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 14:29:25 pm by Imagining » Logged
Bubba
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 13:22:24 pm »

"Try this is your router makes too much noise:"

Yes, I would highly recommend it. I'm using one myself, it not only allow to cut the noise down but allows to use the high speed (cheaper) cutters. Also allows the speed be controlled by Mach3.. Wink
HOLLYDOG
Droid

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 19:25:04 pm »

Very interesting build, what sort of accuracy can you obtain on a typical square or circle cut out of say 1m. etc. Like the idea of being able to adjust the table depth.
                     well done
                  Hollydog
BoatBuilder
CNC Ewok

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 10:45:40 am »

G'day Hollydog - thanks for the kind comments. The accuracy is very good. I use Mach3 and there is an axis callibration feature which I used during the initial setup. I have tested the calibration over the entire table by jogging set distances in all axis' and combintations and the measurement is good. As I am working in wood I only have measuring tapes in mm increments so anything less than that is not really important to me. So far anything that I have made is excactly the same size as measured in CamBam which is really good.
At the moment I am working on timber items that I want to surface very accurately and don't have an easy way of adjusting the Pitch & Yaw of the cutter head to get it plumb so I am designing in an adjusting plate for the router to live on that has X&Y adjustment via grub screws in order to micro adjust the cutter head. I'd be interested in photos if anyone already has that under control.

Cheers
Rod

I'd like to be known someday as a great craftsman or woodworker rather than just a sex symbol
HOLLYDOG
Droid

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 19:35:57 pm »

Hello Rod,
            Thanks for all the the gen, just one more question do the belts vibrate over this distance when moving along.
    Only one thin that might be possible for your alignment, what about a suitable piece of Polyurethane of suitable strength trapped between two plates or flanges with bolts. By tightening up one place more than the others you could have adjustment  anywhere in 360deg.  in the horizontal plane.
                                    Hollydog
BoatBuilder
CNC Ewok

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 08:43:05 am »

G'day Hollydog - The belts were vibrating when I had the feed speed and acceleration quite high. I have since slowed both down and the vibrating has stopped but I had in mind to install dampners in the right places once I figure out how & where. I also think that the belt tension might have a bearing. I am more concerned about the "Y" ball screw which gets a bit of a little wobble up towards the extremes. However anything that I am cutting is measuring fine so perhaps I worry too much.
I have been looking at your idea of the polyurethane block for the micro adjustment. I'll let you know how I go.

Cheers
Rod

Imagining
Storm Trooper

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 18:08:26 pm »

Boat Builder stated: The belts were vibrating when I had the feed speed and acceleration quite high.

You might take a look at the belt tensioning devices and engineering used on the accessory belts [the wide flat belts] on newer Ford pickup with diesel engines.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: