CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 16, 2014, 17:22:30 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dust/chip extraction  (Read 1077 times)
Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« on: October 03, 2011, 19:08:47 pm »

I tried with search but didn't see a dedicated thread.
My question is about what solutions you use to collect and extract/suck out the dust and chips.
I have made a cyclone with the motor-turbine group from an old vacuum cleaner attached to it and it does fine work collecting fine dust and larger chips.
But for some time I've been pondering over a good suction adapter or some guard around the tool to help direct the cut material particles to the suction hose and at the same time to give me the option to visually watch the working field of the bit.
Any shared hint and help will be much appreciated.
dh42
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 20:11:52 pm »

Hello,

Here is the system I do for my Kress

http://www.cambam.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1716.msg9818#msg9818

It's a test, that works well, and the internal design make a cyclone effect.

but ...

- I don't see the tool during the cut

- I must remove the system to access the nut of the collet

- when deep cuts, the system is no so efficient if to far from the part a the first level of cut. and I'ts not easy to set the right height to avoid that the system hit the part when max deep it reached.

I some minutes, I'll add pictures of the system mounted to the "suction system" thread.

A system that maybe while by fine is that.

The system is fixed on the Y axis, and don't move with the Z , that solve both the problem to access to the collet nut and you get always a good vacuum because the system can be set very close to the surface of the part.

++
David

Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 20:37:55 pm »

Thanks. I must have used wrong keywords for the search, because I have definitely seen your MDF adapter before.  Embarrassed
My idea is similar but the intention is to fix it like the second system. So that the adapter stays near the material surface all the time.
I did experiment with acrylic and milled several layers which glued together and it seem the idea is workable. In this way I will have a transparent top.

The other problem is that if the tools goes near the edges, the adapter will hit eventually a holding bracket.
Either I have to change the way I fix the material or what comes to my mind (and have seen on a YouTube video) is to make a dense brush, about 3 cm high which will fence the tool area but deform if a bracket is touched.
Tomorrow I plan to start learning the brush maker's trade.
I've bought a large wall painting brush and intend to drill a line of holes on the lower side of the adapter and glue bristle flocks into them, just like the normal brush.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 20:39:53 pm by Dragonfly » Logged
dh42
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 20:58:12 pm »

another with brush

http://www.youtube.com/user/designbysc#p/u/2/Wu9O-7Szn3k

a DIY system (slightly larger  Shocked)

http://www.usinages.com/conception-fabrication-f22/cnc-alu-mon-puzzle-t18542-810.html

++
David
lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 23:31:12 pm »

Tomorrow I plan to start learning the brush maker's trade.

----------------

Oh!  Please don't!  It's not worth your trouble or time.  Continuous strips of brush material of almost any character you demand are available ON ROLLS...  It's an industrial commodity item.

LLoyd

Automation Machine Design, LLC.
--
"Doing the impossible in pyro automation every day."
Bubba
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 01:28:38 am »

Try this.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#conveyor-brush-seals/=ec4usi
Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 11:10:02 am »

Thank you guys.

I guess it depends much on where you live. I also thought about some kind of ready brush strips but the only kind I found available locally are door sealing brushes which are on a hard base and cannot be bent to fit the shape of the adapter.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: