CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 16, 2014, 23:07:22 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Another question about unexpected and unwanted plunge move,though curved molding  (Read 518 times)
Imagining
Storm Trooper

View Profile
« on: September 29, 2011, 04:32:19 am »

Another question about unexpected and unwanted plunge moves though this time on curved molding

This is the same molding pattern, though this is curve rather than straight.

The same problem has evidenced itself, though this time on both sides of the piece to be machined; that is: On both the exterior of the curve and the interior of the curve.

The Step Over was set at .48.

Also, are there settings in Cam Bam that will make the machining be along the curve rather than across the curve?

The horizontal and vertical Profile 3D Method settings both cut across the curve, just in different directions.  The Profile 3D Method setting Waterline Finish cut along the curve, though only cut along the curve on the exterior and interior, plus one curvilinear pass down the middle of the piece to be machined.

Both of these items are important.

pixelmaker
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 14:42:15 pm »

Hello Imagining,

at first, here's an international audience. It is difficult to guess from your texts that you want. It would be better if you formulate your wishes in questions.

For all 3D work you need to assign a tool. Most f the options are working with percent of the tool size.
If you use waterline finishing, you need a small stepover and resolution(e.g. 0.1) StepOver and resolution are working with percent of the tool diameter. For waterline fnishing you need the same size for the depth increment. In this example I use a tool with diameter of 0.125". The 10% of the tooldiameter will need a depth increment of 0.0125 or smaller. Play with the depth increment to get the best surface. I work sometimes with 5%.
To have the best controll about waterline finishing pathes, the best ist to work with boundary pathes. If you dont want to get the outside cuttings, first generate a polyline with plane slice z and 0.1", with ->edit -> offset ->-0.01 you can generate from this polyline a polyline a bit smaller than you part. This you can use as "selected shape" as a boundary for the waterline finish. Look at the second mop in the attached file.
Is this what you want?

ralf

* leg blank for small dresser valet_001curved_edit.cb (126.58 KB - downloaded 26 times.)
Imagining
Storm Trooper

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 15:07:16 pm »

Two items are obvious:

1.  I should not be experimenting late at night..

2.  I still have a long way to go in learning Cam Bam

This is what I wanted.

Thank you Ralf
Imagining
Storm Trooper

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 17:25:15 pm »

ralf:

Are you "ralf3" on the Alibre forum?
Imagining
Storm Trooper

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 18:53:15 pm »

ralf:

This thread was a continuation of this: http://www.cambam.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2001.0
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: