CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 20, 2017, 05:41:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: 1/5th Scale V8 Blown  (Read 58117 times)
stevehuckss396
Wookie

View Profile
« on: September 04, 2011, 22:27:49 pm »

This is the official kickoff of the blown Demon V8. Im going to start a new thread so there will be no confusion to someone who starts reading the other thread.

I looked over the parts in the garage. I did make a lot of stuff for the second engine but when we started getting to the end a lot of the Ill make two went out the window.

Among the big parts is the block. The block and oil pan are 100% complete. The liners and lifter bushings are pressed in and the bores are finished and ready for pistons. That will save at least a week and maybe two. The bell housing adapter and bell housing are also done.

The heads are done 100% and the valve cages are pressed in. One head has the valves installed. Both heads will need the rockers installed. All the pieces for the heads are made and tucked away for the later process.

The intake is nowhere. I made the blank but still need to do everything. This manifold will be completely different than the carbureted unit.

The valve covers are done but will need some kind of work to fancy them up a bit.

The camshaft is cut and assembled. I still need to do all the hand work to smooth out the cam lobes.

I also have the Timing cover done as well as the balancer and blower pulley.

Im thinking the place to start is with the block. Ill get it trimmed out with crankshaft, rods, pistons and so fourth and just roll from there. It will be a slow start because of the holiday ending and I have a lot going on in the next 2 weeks.

HERE WE GO AGAIN!!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 12:42:42 pm by stevehuckss396 » Logged
Hans_G
Storm Trooper

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 13:49:28 pm »

Subscribed  Grin

I'd love to see a video of your mill working on a part, doesn't really matter what part, but I'd just like to get a better sense of the tools you're working with to get these amazing results. 

amazing work, looking forward to seeing this one unfold.
- Hans
Bench_Top_Precision
Storm Trooper

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 14:15:42 pm »

Can't you just order all this stuff from a Summit Racing Catalog?  Wink

stevehuckss396
Wookie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 18:38:40 pm »

Can't you just order all this stuff from a Summit Racing Catalog?  Wink

You can but you need to wash everything in hot water to shrink it.

Hans, I'll try to get you some video using the home made mill.
lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 23:27:10 pm »

Steve, just a "nit".  Both motors are carburetted.  One is "normally aspirated", the other "super-charged".

(unless you're fuel-injecting this one ! HAH   Grin)

LLoyd

"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"
stevehuckss396
Wookie

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 23:57:18 pm »

(unless you're fuel-injecting this one ! HAH   Grin)

I'm working on it. I have a pal who is going to work on a scaled down system when he finishes his ignition system. I'm hoping to adapt it to the blower.
lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 00:46:02 am »

HOLY!!!!

You know, you're talking about micro-inch finishes (and I actually mean sub-micron)... I don't think injectors will scale that small.  Even if they are mechanically driven (which requires the greatest mechanical precision), I dont' think so, but I know solenoid injectors couldn't work to scale.  Perhaps 3:1, but not 5:1.  The problem is with the solenoid, itself.

LLoyd

stevehuckss396
Wookie

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 01:47:14 am »

HOLY!!!!

You know, you're talking about micro-inch finishes (and I actually mean sub-micron)... I don't think injectors will scale that small.  Even if they are mechanically driven (which requires the greatest mechanical precision), I dont' think so, but I know solenoid injectors couldn't work to scale.  Perhaps 3:1, but not 5:1.  The problem is with the solenoid, itself.

LLoyd

I was told that sparkplugs smaller than 1/4 inch will be to small and never work. Builders used to think that gas would never burn in a cylinder smaller than 3/4 inch because the fuel would puddle and cause trouble. I never asume that something wont work until I have failed at least 3 times.

There was a fellow in the 90's that had an inline 4 cylinder with mechanical fuel injection. Wouldn't tell anybody how he did it and then died. Took the idea to his grave. It's possible because it's been done. Just need to figure it out.
lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 12:12:41 pm »

There was a fellow in the 90's that had an inline 4 cylinder with mechanical fuel injection. Wouldn't tell anybody how he did it and then died. Took the idea to his grave. It's possible because it's been done. Just need to figure it out.
----------
I wonder if he used either throttle body or manifold injection.  Both those would give you a better chance of properly vaporizing the fuel before it got to the cylinders.  I think the nozzle would be the most difficult part, and if they didn't atomize perfectly, then having them upstream a way from the cylinders would be a boon.

BTW, Steve, some very early model airplane engines had spark plugs about the same size as yours.  If you can find a copy, look at the old Popular Mechanics "Junior Do It Yourself Encyclopedia".

LLoyd

Bubba
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 01:13:57 am »

Steve, Are you ever going to do a miniature diesel engine that burns real diesel fuel? . That would be cool..
stevehuckss396
Wookie

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 01:25:41 am »

Steve, Are you ever going to do a miniature diesel engine that burns real diesel fuel? . That would be cool..

I'm thinking no. But this guy is. Block is about 6 inches long.

Bubba
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 23:32:59 pm »

[/quote]I'm thinking no. But this guy is. Block is about 6 inches long.

Cool, Can't help it I'm partial to a diesel engines... Do you by any chance have a link to the website? Thanks.
stevehuckss396
Wookie

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 00:02:00 am »

That is a photo that I took at the NAMES model engine show last april. It was something unusual so i snapped a pic
stevehuckss396
Wookie

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2011, 18:34:09 pm »

I got rained out at work today so I took a few hours in the garage. I guess this would be the official kickoff of the Version 2, Small V8. It is the same engine with a roots blower. I would guess this one will go a bit faster than the first but the way work is I don't know if I'll get back in the garage this month, or next month.

My friend Ron wants to bend the tubing in his new bender for the zoomies so i made the flanges today. The last time I made them I drilled and reamed the holes for the pipes. That didn't work well in .063 thick plate so this time I milled the holes .010 smaller and then reamed them to 5/16. Still not perfect bit I am alot happier doing them this way.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 12:45:10 pm by stevehuckss396 » Logged
stevehuckss396
Wookie

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2011, 22:30:53 pm »

I finally have something to report. My friend Ron fired up the tubing bender and I made the flanges and then he came over to silver solder the pipes together. Unfortunately this will be about all for a while. Still working too much but I hear it might end after the holidays.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 12:46:16 pm by stevehuckss396 » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: