CamBam
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 18, 2017, 10:00:46 am

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
  Print  
Author Topic: Metal Nibbler Three  (Read 52226 times)
Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

^ 8.5 pounds on my own hand poured bait.

View Profile WWW
« on: November 25, 2010, 15:13:45 pm »

Just picked this little toy up on Tuesday. 
http://www.yumabassman.com/bulletinboard/download/file.php?id=671&mode=view

The price was right and it came with a few little goodies. 
http://www.yumabassman.com/bulletinboard/download/file.php?id=672&mode=view

I had never heard of Kwik 200 tool holders before, but I LIKE THEM.  Pretty easy to remove and just snap in. 

It going to be a while before I can cut anything with it though.  Its good a brand new Mitsubishi controller on board, but I have some issues to overcome. 

1.  I haven't even figured out how I am going to get it off the trailer yet. 
2.  Going to need a BIG phase converter.
3.  Its got a known issue with the Z-axis. 
4.  I'm not sure how I am going to get code into the machine.  Its got a tape drive.  LOL. 

1.  Will work itself out one way or another. 
2.  If I don't mind waiting my Uncle (other side of the country) has a phase convertor for 7.5 HP he will send out to me next time my dad visits back that way. 
3.  Its got a new retrofit Mitsubishi controller and its a ball screw machine.  I wonder if its got a brake on the Z axis that is not releasing.
4.  I guess I have to read the manuals.

I did get a fairly complete set of original manuals and diagrams with it.  Also got a manual for the Mitsubishi controller.  The guy who was selling it didn't think it was there, but I found it inside the control cabinet. 

Getting started on CNC?  In or passing through my area?
If I have the time I'll be glad to show you a little in my shop. 

Some Stuff I Make with CamBam
http://www.CNCMOLDS.com
GeorgeRace
Wookie

Wobbler Engine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 21:11:58 pm »

Hi there:
Boy, that is one serious machine!  Those tool holders really look neat.  It won't be long before you are cutting some serious metal.

A tape drive puts out a serial stream of data.  That is exactly what a program like Mach3 does from its computer port interface.  Somewhere there should be an interface program that lets you put serial data directly into the tape out port.

I bet you will find a way,
All the best,
George

Please check out my web site.
http://www.mykitairplane.com
Builder & Test Pilot of N73EX
Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 00:19:33 am »

Pretty sure I am going to retrofit control to G320X servo drivers and AMT encoders.  Haven't done much with it, but I sure need to.  Not so much because I need this machine, but because I could another mini machine or two for high speed spindle stuff, and this machine would be perfect for making the framework. 

lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 00:24:19 am »

Bob, unless you have a forklift, the cheapest way to get that thing off is to hire a local wrecker company to boom it off on a sling.

I have done three times, and the bill has never been more than a buck-and-a-quarter, even during "peak" towing times.

LLoyd

"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"
Bubba
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 21:23:21 pm »

Bob, congratulations on the serious machine. I did see it before(the same model) it was used in production floor next to our toolmaking department. I remember they were hogging some series stuff with it. Those tool holders are nice as well, used them and they running true. Just remember , use decent spanner wrench and tight them pretty good, because they will turn loose on you when you let the spindle chatter for awhile. The model I remember was manual tool change.  Good luck with it.
Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 21:18:27 pm »

Wow.  November 2010 since I picked up this machine.  Getting it going has sure been slower than I thought.  

I went with a Smoothstepper as my motion interface.  I've got that plugged into a C23 breakout board.  Once I came to terms with the confusing if not outright wrong documentation I kinda like it.  I was testing inputs and outputs with it yesterday.  

I've got 3 G320X servo drivers mounted on a giant heat sink.  Not hooked up yet.  I've been figuring everything out.  Looks like the proximity sensors already on the mill for limits will hook right up to the break out board.  Maybe today or tomorrow I will test them all to see if they still work.  

I have one of the new encoders installed on a servo motor for testings.  I plan to test it just to the G320X today after I make power pigtails for the servo controllers.  

Haven't done a whole lot that is picture worthy lately, but some of my past work might be interesting.  

P.S.  AMT didn't have encoders that would work on my servos.  Had to spend a little more with US Digital.

* Hurco100.jpg (1703.02 KB, 1840x3264 - viewed 465 times.)

* cabinet-layout.JPG (94.26 KB, 552x980 - viewed 311 times.)

* PICT0059.JPG (76.64 KB, 800x600 - viewed 314 times.)

* PICT0062.JPG (75.99 KB, 800x600 - viewed 380 times.)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 22:18:16 pm by Bob La Londe » Logged

Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 19:08:35 pm »

Thursday afternoon I hooked up a servo motor, mounted a new encoder on it, and actually controlled it with my electronics. 

ITS ALIVE!!!

Then I disconnected it and started wiring everything up more in its permanent configuration. 

Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 05:08:29 am »

Putting things together...  I need to swap to the encoder on Z and hook it up still.  I also need to hook up and test the pneumatic machine oiler.  (electrical, I finished the air lines a while ago).  I may be able to try my first test cut in air in the next week.  Maybe...  I have a couple video jobs to do for my day job as a contractor this week too. 

* 2013-02-10_14-34-46_918.jpg (183.03 KB, 800x1067 - viewed 261 times.)

* 2013-02-10_11-03-34_141.jpg (129.33 KB, 800x600 - viewed 239 times.)

* 2013-02-10_14-36-09_322.jpg (146.27 KB, 800x1067 - viewed 262 times.)

* 2013-02-10_14-38-17_166.jpg (173.66 KB, 800x1067 - viewed 281 times.)

Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 17:51:20 pm »

1st Successful 3 Axis Run on Hurco Retrofit - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X3fsRNBUsc

Nothing special. I just finally got it to run on all 3 axis this morning. I fired it up last night for the first time, and I had problems with X Y and Z. Turns out it really does matter which way you hook up a bidirectional DC motor. I swapped the leads on Y & Z and they worked.

No matter what I did I couldn't get X to work though. I tried everything I could think of. The table was near one end of travel. It was still an inch or so short of the limit sensor though. Still, it was the only thing I could think of. A little too much force from the weight of the table, dirt on the ways from sitting etc. I disconnected the motor leads, and moved the table manually. Then I hooked them back up powered up the system and it worked. A little rough servo tuning and I can get 150 IPM reliabley on all three. The position indicator light only dims slightly upon rapid reversals.

Yeah, that Z is awfully noisy when it moves. I freaked out at first thinking the noise was a bad ball screw. I got my ear up there next to the motor and listened. It sounds like the belt is making the noise. I suppose it could be the bearing in the motor. Either way its either just annoying (belt) or easy to fix (bearing). Thank goodness its not the ballscrew. That looks like a real pain to replace.

I still have a lot of work to do before I can cut anything with it though. I'll start by cleaning off the table and I'll stop using it as a storage shelf. LOL.

Dragonfly
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 20:26:28 pm »

That display under the spindle ... I wouldn't risk putting it there on first trial run  Grin
Otherwise congratulations! Something which deserves a

Before asking a question do some effort and walk through all menus and options in CamBam.  Maybe the answer is there. Please.
lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 22:59:49 pm »

Not for nothin', but unless the spindle fell out of the machine it wouldn't be much of a problem!  Wink

Lloyd

Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 03:42:38 am »

Yeah, i cranked the table amost all the way down first.  Still I understand the sentiment.

Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2013, 05:58:50 am »

Automatic oiler works.  All axis seem to work upto 250IPM as tested.  Still have not tried to fire up the spindle motor yet. 

And...  I broke the little 12" touch screen monitor.  No the spindle didn't fall on it.  I made a clamp to hold it in the control console, and when I snugged it up I cracked the bottom of the touch sensor plate. 

It will still work fine as a 12" low res (800x600) "not a touch screen" monitor.  On the plus side I found a nice 15" touch screen designed to be panel mounted.  Since I am going touch screen and have found a tool to make my own control screens I won't need a lot of the mechanical controls I originally planned on, so there will be room for the larger screen. 

Bob La Londe
CNC Jedi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2013, 20:48:21 pm »

Well, I spun the spindle under power today.  I was planning to use an inverter from Spedestar (PC1-50) that is designed to provide a full 3.7Kw (5hp) off of single phase, but when I had some spare cash to buy it Drives Warehouse was out of stock on them.  Aurgh!  I had absolutely no confidence in that Mitsubishi VFD that was in the cabinet, but it does have instructions for hooking it to single phase.  I figured I'ld just run it from its own control panel to start.  I wired power to it, hooked up the ground and the braking resistor (which I had previously removed when I stripping the machine in preparation for the retrofit.

The after sitting there for a while preparing myself mentally for smoke and flames I threw the blade.  The inverter had a default setting of 40 hz on the display so I pushed FWD. 

The spindle just started right up.  In reverse.  I half expected that.  Nothing on the motor or rest of the machine is labeled.  I ran the motor from 3hz to 100hz on the first test run and it seemed fine.  something is kind of whiney under 20hz, but it runs smoothly enough otherwise. 

Figured I'ld post an update while it powers down so I can swap a couple motor leads and get it running in the right direction. 

I know I could just hook the forward control pin to reverse and the reverse control pin to forward when I wire it into the breakout board, but I will hook it up right at the inverter incase I have to run the spindle in manual mode on the future.  (Now I need to order some 5V relays.  The controller wants dry contacts for the start inputs.)

lloydsp
CNC Jedi

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2013, 20:53:14 pm »

FUN!  That's the stuff I'll be doing in the fall... along with a complete spindle and spline re-build.

Lloyd

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
  Print  

Jump to: